Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360399 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #420: October 03, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »
This kind of efficiency was routine about 5 or 6 years ago. Its how realms like Perdan, Sirion, CE, Abington, etc, were able to march around with 70KCS armies. The only thing new here is that they are controled/managed enough to do it under the new tax system.

Maybe so. I just haven't seen anything like it in my time here (since May 2008).

But it is weird that that kind of play has been absent from BM for so long, only to be seen again now in Aurvandil?

But that being said, we were in a federation, and it was rather silly of him to think that D'Hara wouldn't step in to help Barca. Especially when, you know, they detain what we require most: affordable food.

That's because Mendicant has some weird daddy issues about commitment and alliances and stuff. And it isn't even like "Oh, I don't like alliances so I won't be in one." It's a "Oh, I don't like alliances so I won't be in one, and if you are in one I'll be pissed at you about it." He's like that friend who is always pissy at you when you're in a relationship and he isn't.

I don't think that Aurvandil and the Falkirian Freestate are invincible. But I do think that the more we wait, the harder it will be, because we'll be weakening each other as they grow stronger.

The thing with Aurvandil is that they have a super efficient huge army. But with sea travel, their borders will be quite porous. Everyone could strike at them from everywhere. Indeed, everyone could gather right off the coast of Candiels, wait for them to wank at Terran, and then offload onto shore in a rural next door and then march into their capital. Or just go on a general looting run. If various realms decided to interfere, without even needing their whole army, they could send marauding squads to loot Aurvandil and the Freestate, earning gold for themselves while lowering southern wealth and productivity and forcing them to split up that huge army of theirs.

The biggest problem that is that no one seems willing to do this. The Northern realms don't care because they don't feel threatened (too far away). An alliance between the 'Moot and the Lurias was the only real solid chance we had, and the Lurias had to go and screw the pooch on that one (which is typical, I suppose).

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #421: October 03, 2012, 01:33:33 AM »
That's because Mendicant has some weird daddy issues about commitment and alliances and stuff. And it isn't even like "Oh, I don't like alliances so I won't be in one." It's a "Oh, I don't like alliances so I won't be in one, and if you are in one I'll be pissed at you about it." He's like that friend who is always pissy at you when you're in a relationship and he isn't.

Can we please go to "Hatred" and then start spreading nasty rumors like this IC? If they're gonna kill us, we might as well go down flaming...  ;)
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #422: October 05, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
Oh, silly Lurias...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #423: October 05, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
D'hara will probably starve before we (Solaria) manage to defeat them. I'm not liking the travel times. Been too spoiled by the Atamara/Beluaterra continent I guess. Maybe I'm not cut out for Marshalship on this continent.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #424: October 05, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »
D'hara will probably starve before we (Solaria) manage to defeat them. I'm not liking the travel times. Been too spoiled by the Atamara/Beluaterra continent I guess. Maybe I'm not cut out for Marshalship on this continent.
You have it right on, D'hara will starve before Solari's manages to defeat us, since we have plenty food because Solaria currently has a smaller army and never manages to arrive all at once, always waves.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #425: October 06, 2012, 06:12:06 AM »
A smaller army? The Scorches consist of 3... yes 3nobles!
Forbes Family

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #426: October 06, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
A smaller army? The Scorches consist of 3... yes 3nobles!
our official eastern army is smaller but our combined forces are greater, and we do have the Dragon Corps go east when needed. Our mobile force is greater than Solaria's combined militia and mobile forces, which is pretty easy to tell when you check out statistics.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #427: October 09, 2012, 02:11:10 AM »
Silly Lurians...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #428: October 09, 2012, 02:25:35 AM »
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #429: October 09, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
Maybe so. I just haven't seen anything like it in my time here (since May 2008).

But it is weird that that kind of play has been absent from BM for so long, only to be seen again now in Aurvandil?

It's because of the New Estate system and how taxes have changed.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #430: October 10, 2012, 08:08:33 AM »
I've got to say, we Lurians are easily the most entertaining and possibly mentally insane group in BM.

Big things ahead! Big things I say!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #431: October 13, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
Another victory against Solaria. ;)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #432: October 14, 2012, 12:40:19 AM »
Lol, winning a battle does not denote victory. Any first year history student can tell you that.

egamma

« Reply #433: October 14, 2012, 12:46:34 AM »
Lol, winning a battle does not denote victory. Any first year history student can tell you that.

I'm pretty sure he meant "victorious for this one battle", not "D'Hara has turned Solaria into a blackened crust."

I'm also pretty sure that you knew what he meant.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #434: October 14, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »

Victory is not a term that is exclusive to wars and that cannot be use for battles. Any first year history student can tell you that. Or, you know, any decent person.

I think it was pretty clear I wasn't claiming we had won the war. Heck, it was a pretty meaningless battle, too, you only had two nobles there. I wasn't gloating so much as teasing.