Author Topic: Luria  (Read 361053 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #525: October 24, 2012, 11:53:29 PM »
Well, usually, at least one of them does have *something* to lose. It's just a little different when that something is an entire kingdom.

What is the ratio of duels that are actually accepted?

Usually, you have a guy that has nothing to lose that challenges someone that has much to lose. Then, the first guy is scandalized that the guy who has much to lose refuses to accept his challenge...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #526: October 25, 2012, 12:05:11 AM »
What is the ratio of duels that are actually accepted?

Usually, you have a guy that has nothing to lose that challenges someone that has much to lose. Then, the first guy is scandalized that the guy who has much to lose refuses to accept his challenge...

I can count the number of duels involving councilors that I've witnessed on one hand, and I think two of them are Lorgan's doing.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527: October 25, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »
Sevastian isn't Tybalt. He can make things far, far worse than Tybalt could.

I'd like to see what he can do.

Malus or Fulco refusing the duel would be tantamount to admitting treachery and dishonour upon their houses. It's too public a matter to be refused without great shame.

I remember Pianese, Capets, Vesperians, Tybalt, Jeffrey and others saying the exact same thing. And Sevastian laughing at some of them.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #528: October 25, 2012, 02:39:46 AM »
I remember Pianese, Capets, Vesperians, Tybalt, Jeffrey and others saying the exact same thing. And Sevastian laughing at some of them.

This.

Honestly, duels don't really get fought unless both characters are on the same level, and both "players" are willing to risk it. I think duels would be much more effective as an RP tool if deaths were common. Such as with enforced mortality. As it is, characters are too valuable to simply lose to a toss of the dice. Not every player views things this way as there are quite a few that RP their characters without regard for their living. However, I'd say a vast majority care whether or not they can keep playing their favorite char.

Brom did the same thing as many of the above listed, but the difference was that he was bluffing the whole time, because I care too much about the character to put it up to chance if he dies from a simple duel. At least one for revenge. A duel for love or otherwise, I'd go forward with. I guess I've RP'ed it as being more pragmatic that revenge wasn't worth such a risk in Brom's point of view, but I'm not fully sure how I feel on the issue.

In general, duels are not what they were originally intended for as we as players recognized that other players don't want to lose their chars. This means we won't necessarily punish a char IC as much for refusing a duel simply because we might as well.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #529: October 25, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

Some of them had laughable causes to warrant their challenges. Not to mention, the majority of duels that Sevastian has seen fought were fought by people of vastly different levels of the hierarchy. With the exception of Duke Karibash v. Duke Thomas, afaik.

Sevastian isn't the nicest guy, but he definitely adheres to the hard line definition of a Noble. He has been since his birth.

My other character is quite the opposite.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #530: October 25, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
Not to mention, the majority of duels that Sevastian has seen fought were fought by people of vastly different levels of the hierarchy.

And this isn't?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #531: October 25, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »
And this isn't?

How would it be?

Malus is a Duke. Sevastian is now just a Duke. Perhaps the duel against Fulco would be improper now that his crown has no country, but the duel against Malus would be completely in line with the hierarchy.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #532: October 25, 2012, 06:32:08 AM »
Malus is a Duke. Sevastian is now just a Duke.

Didn't know that Sevastian still held a duchy.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #533: October 25, 2012, 06:32:56 AM »
Didn't know that Sevastian still held a duchy.

Indeed he does, even if it is a craphole of a duchy.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #534: October 25, 2012, 06:56:06 AM »
Indeed he does, even if it is a craphole of a duchy.

Anyways, duels tended not to be fought IRL over stuff like this. It was mostly a thing for knights trying to prove themselves by getting hotheaded about everything - rulers tended to just !@#$ eachother over ruthlessly.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #535: October 25, 2012, 07:14:38 AM »
There is a bit of a personal betrayal involved between Malus and Sevastian. An Oath broken is a serious breach of honour in Sevastian's eyes.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #536: October 25, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »
There is a bit of a personal betrayal involved between Malus and Sevastian. An Oath broken is a serious breach of honour in Sevastian's eyes.

Right, he's fully within his rights to demand a duel, but it's not exactly precedented for someone in Malus' situation to accept, IRL or ingame.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537: October 25, 2012, 08:06:46 AM »
Some of them had laughable causes to warrant their challenges.

Sevastian isn't the nicest guy, but he definitely adheres to the hard line definition of a Noble. He has been since his birth.

Ask any of those Sevastian laughed at and they will reply the very same thing.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #538: October 25, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
I imagine this is obvious to anyone who's reads Malus' past comments on duels, but it isn't going to happen. Not in a million years. People have very personal opinions about duels, but it's a feature of the game that I feel has been twisted by weird, anachronistic notions of romanticized nobility, like Aaron Burr dueling Alexander Hamilton or something.

"You shall retract your slander!" 'I refuse!' "Sabers at dawn, sir!"

No thanks. I created the idea of blood debts exactly because it seemed stupid for a duke/ruler/priest to go dueling knights, lords, and lower nobles. A man or woman of power doesn't, IMHO, whip out a sword and demand satisfaction. They leverage their resources to suffocate, kill, or drive off their enemies. Ain't that right, Brom/Ramiel/Norrel/Arundel/Finsternis? I think Malus even made that comment to Brom, when he came knocking for a duel.

"Pick up your sword!"
'But I have a thousand. I have an army.'
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 01:23:11 PM by Solari »

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #539: October 25, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
I imagine this is obvious to anyone who's reads Malus' past comments on duels, but it isn't going to happen. Not in a million years. People have very personal opinions about duels, but it's a feature of the game that I feel has been twisted by weird, anachronistic notions of romanticized nobility, like Aaron Burr dueling Alexander Hamilton or something.

"You shall retract your slander!" 'I refuse!' "Sabers at dawn, sir!"

No thanks. I created the idea of blood debts exactly because it seemed stupid for a duke/ruler/priest to go dueling knights, lords, and lower nobles. A man or woman of power doesn't, IMHO, whip out a sword and demand satisfaction. They leverage their resources to suffocate, kill, or drive off their enemies. Ain't that right, Brom/Ramiel/Norrel/Arundel/Finsternis? I think Malus even made that comment to Brom, when he came knocking for a duel.

"Pick up your sword!"
'But I have a thousand. I have an army.'

Yes if your chaarcters feels the acuser is to low to be fought, pick a champion.
I believe a true lord shouldn't step away from any challange, unless the challange can be arrested and executed, or just banned.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog