Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360886 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #540: October 25, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
Yes if your chaarcters feels the acuser is to low to be fought, pick a champion.
I believe a true lord shouldn't step away from any challange, unless the challange can be arrested and executed, or just banned.

And here we have a great example of what I meant by people having very different and very personal opinions about duels. I don't feel that either one of us is right, but it does help to illustrate why some characters and families take them so seriously and others do not.  :)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #541: October 25, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »
And here we have a great example of what I meant by people having very different and very personal opinions about duels. I don't feel that either one of us is right, but it does help to illustrate why some characters and families take them so seriously and others do not.  :)

Yes indeed, some of my characters won't accept duels, others would throw them selfs in pits of spikes and burning oil just to get a duel :P
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #542: October 25, 2012, 06:47:13 PM »
I imagine this is obvious to anyone who's reads Malus' past comments on duels, but it isn't going to happen. Not in a million years. People have very personal opinions about duels, but it's a feature of the game that I feel has been twisted by weird, anachronistic notions of romanticized nobility, like Aaron Burr dueling Alexander Hamilton or something.

"You shall retract your slander!" 'I refuse!' "Sabers at dawn, sir!"

No thanks. I created the idea of blood debts exactly because it seemed stupid for a duke/ruler/priest to go dueling knights, lords, and lower nobles. A man or woman of power doesn't, IMHO, whip out a sword and demand satisfaction. They leverage their resources to suffocate, kill, or drive off their enemies. Ain't that right, Brom/Ramiel/Norrel/Arundel/Finsternis? I think Malus even made that comment to Brom, when he came knocking for a duel.

"Pick up your sword!"
'But I have a thousand. I have an army.'

It is stupid for a person in power to duel when they can just leverage their resources instead.

Malus's comment, although not worded that way exactly, as Brom's request wasn't, but in general the concept is correct. However, Brom was essentially in a desperation swing. He didn't expect Malus to accept, but was hoping that he would be stupid and allow Brom to save face and essentially be restored back to power in Luria. In the meantime, he used the distraction of dueling and accusations to prepare his leave from Luria.

Same way he used the impending assault on the city of Giask to prepare his leave from Luria the first time.

What else would you expect from a Machiavellan pragmatist?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #543: October 25, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
In the meantime, he used the distraction of dueling and accusations to prepare his leave from Luria.

That was expertly done, by the way. Brom slipped out without anyone noticing, and clearly had a soft landing prepared.

And this is why I love Brom from a distance as much as I hated him up close.  8)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #544: October 31, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »
DEATH TO BIPEL!

Wooohoooo!

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #545: November 01, 2012, 02:37:03 AM »
DEATH TO BIPEL!

Wooohoooo!

It's about damned time! Dibs on his spine, if he has one.

Hinamoto

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #546: November 13, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »
New national sport called "throw a Lurian". More news coming soon
“A leader leads by example, not by force” .- Sun Tzu

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #547: November 20, 2012, 03:50:24 AM »

What does a D'Haran royal have anything to do with him?

;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #548: November 20, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
So D'Hara just offered peace terms.  ;D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #549: November 20, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
So D'Hara just offered peace terms.  ;D

Waitwaitwait—

Those were supposed to be actual peace terms??

Oh, dear. Alanna's got some explaining to do, then.

She's already booked Rynn and his Council as the opening act at her new Central Dwilight Comedy Club.

They were going to be such a popular political satire act, too...like the Capitol Steps of Dwilight... :'(
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #550: November 20, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
Nobody includes the poor 'lil 'ole Mootgram anymore. :(
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #551: November 20, 2012, 05:46:15 PM »
Nobody includes the poor 'lil 'ole Mootgram anymore. :(

Malus does!

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #552: November 20, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Malus does!

That's why we're still friends.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #553: November 20, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »
Waitwaitwait—

Those were supposed to be actual peace terms??

Oh, dear. Alanna's got some explaining to do, then.

She's already booked Rynn and his Council as the opening act at her new Central Dwilight Comedy Club.

They were going to be such a popular political satire act, too...like the Capitol Steps of Dwilight... :'(

I am really interested in what those terms are, probably see it in game soon, but can't wait.
Share the laughs! :P
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554: November 20, 2012, 06:14:35 PM »
It was probably something like "D'Hara gains possession of Giask, and guaranteed food sales of at least 1000 bushels a week for 15/100".
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.