Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360985 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #570: November 21, 2012, 03:55:10 AM »
Let's put it this way, Ehndras:

His realm stocked the out-of-the-way pointless regions with militia, and left the capital-donut townsland region empty.

I leave it to you to decide whether this points to "ballsy" or "dumbass".
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #571: November 21, 2012, 04:54:44 AM »
I understand LN's position on this quite clearly.

I was just stating D'Hara's.

Unless Morek pulls its weigh to pressure either side to accept any given conditions, I don't see peace being achieved. Nor any significant progress being made by neither LN or D'Hara/LV.

Only Aurvandil sighing with relief that all three are fighting each other instead of fighting them.

If Morek pulls its weight on the issue that won't solve anything other than piss off Luria. Solari described Luria perfectly. THey don't take well to outside interference in "Lurian" affairs. If someone interferes, they'll just focus on that person and deal with the Lurian affairs later. Frankly, it doesn't matter what D'Hara wants in a treaty if they try and include Lurian realms. The Lurian realms that misbehave will be dealt with after D'Hara is wrapped up regardless.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #572: November 21, 2012, 05:01:29 AM »
Afghanistan is a very applicable political lateral to Luria. Pretty much ends there. A saying I once heard: "Me against my brother. My brother and I against our family. My family against my tribe. My tribe against my nation. My nation against the world."
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #573: November 21, 2012, 06:24:26 AM »
There is someone not of the Luria Novan banner who is still Lurian, in a lot of fashions. I just wonder if Brom could be bothered with it...

>.>

<.<

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #574: November 21, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »
If Morek pulls its weight on the issue that won't solve anything other than piss off Luria.

if morek would actually involve its self in the war, LN would be crushed, a 3 front war? no empire could attest to that for very long.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #575: November 21, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
If Morek pulls its weight on the issue that won't solve anything other than piss off Luria. Solari described Luria perfectly. THey don't take well to outside interference in "Lurian" affairs. If someone interferes, they'll just focus on that person and deal with the Lurian affairs later. Frankly, it doesn't matter what D'Hara wants in a treaty if they try and include Lurian realms. The Lurian realms that misbehave will be dealt with after D'Hara is wrapped up regardless.

Never said the Luria Nova would like it. But as for as "the Lurias" go, I'm not sure Luria Vesperi would mind all that much. Northern Luria also joined Morek, so I'm thinking they might not mind outside interference all that much either, considering they joined an outside realm.

if morek would actually involve its self in the war, LN would be crushed, a 3 front war? no empire could attest to that for very long.

Indeed. Morek's much closer to the Lurias than to Aurvandil. And with the new defection, closer than ever. Morek wants a region close to Aurvandil to be able to fight there, but the reality is that distance from the capital would likely make it revolt in a day. As such, Morek's best chances of getting at Aurvandil would be to pacify Luria Nova, so that Luria Vesperi and D'Hara can do something about the Western war.

Luria Nova is a de facto ally of Aurvandil, right now. Both are dedicated to fighting the 'moot.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:52:31 PM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #576: November 21, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
...Northern Luria also joined Morek...

Luria Nova is a de facto ally of Aurvandil, right now...

Re: the first line. Damn right Northern Luria!

Re: the second line. This is not the first time I have seen that thought. It's been expressed in game several times.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #577: November 21, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
LN has no desire to help Aurvandil. We'd be perfectly happy to help you destroy them.

There is just one thing standing in our way, and that's you, D'Hara. If you would give us peace, we'd clean up LV quite quickly, then join in the war against Aurvandil.

So, no, LN is not the de-facto ally of Aurvandil right now. It's D'Hara, who is doing everything they can to prevent LN from joining the war on the side of the north.

Basically, Chénier, you really need to look at it this way:

Which is more important to you: keeping LV alive—a realm that's only been your ally for a short time, that you can't actually keep alive anyway—or seeing Aurvandil destroyed?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #578: November 21, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
The way I've had it explained to me Anaris, is that because Luria is the aggressor against Dhara, it is the one responsible for the lack of definitive action against Aurvandil. Not to mention 'responsible' for multiple thousands of CS being unable to even show up down South.

I'm presuming that something along those lines is what half the allegations against Sevastian are about.

Regardless, I'm not fond of that line of thought, and tend to agree with you. Dhara is being obstinate. ;)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #579: November 21, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
The way I've had it explained to me Anaris, is that because Luria is the aggressor against Dhara, it is the one responsible for the lack of definitive action against Aurvandil. Not to mention 'responsible' for multiple thousands of CS being unable to even show up down South.

I'm presuming that something along those lines is what half the allegations against Sevastian are about.

Regardless, I'm not fond of that line of thought, and tend to agree with you. Dhara is being obstinate. ;)

Personally, I still don't know what the allegations against Sevastian are about. (The original ones. The ones that led to his banishment are much more obvious.)

The point is, though, Luria has been willing to make peace with D'Hara for some time now. It's D'Hara that's refusing, because apparently their people have "romanticized" Luria Vesperi as some kind of knights in shining armour...and therefore, they're worth blocking war with Aurvandil over.
Timothy Collett

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #580: November 21, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
Personally, I still don't know what the allegations against Sevastian are about. (The original ones. The ones that led to his banishment are much more obvious.)

The point is, though, Luria has been willing to make peace with D'Hara for some time now. It's D'Hara that's refusing, because apparently their people have "romanticized" Luria Vesperi as some kind of knights in shining armour...and therefore, they're worth blocking war with Aurvandil over.

Nor do I. And the banishment issue isn't an issue. Sevastian thinks Fulco is handicapped by his paranoia and greed, just like Bipel. Having said it too many times to too many people, it was only a matter of time before this happened. Now I get to play a more dynamic and long-term game. Fun all around!

Vesperi as knights in shining armour? Vesperi as knights?! Preposterous, I say. Silly D'Haran scum.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #581: November 21, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »

It's much simpler than that.

D'Hara wants to keep a balance of powers. Without LV, D'Hara is all alone in that part of the world.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #582: November 21, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
It's much simpler than that.

D'Hara wants to keep a balance of powers. Without LV, D'Hara is all alone in that part of the world.

I don't think D'Hara realizes just how useless LV is. With LV, D'Hara is still all alone.
Timothy Collett

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #583: November 21, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
I don't think D'Hara realizes just how useless LV is. With LV, D'Hara is still all alone.

That has yet to be demonstrated. LV seems to be reasonably functional thus far.

A crushing defeat of LV or two might convince D'Hara otherwise.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #584: November 21, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
That has yet to be demonstrated. LV seems to be reasonably functional thus far.

A crushing defeat of LV or two might convince D'Hara otherwise.

I think that should be easily furnished before the week is out.

(Unless American Thanksgiving wrecks our movement too badly, I suppose.)
Timothy Collett