Author Topic: Luria  (Read 360768 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Luria
« Reply #705: January 15, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »
I am so insanely angry. JUST when things were turning around...

Honestly this is the worst move D'Hara has ever made. Now Luria hates them, the maroccidenians hate them, Sanguis Astroism will probably hate them and I doubt that even the south likes them considering the outright backstabbing.

Seriously, when you're more backstabby than the Lurians... this is just diplomatic suicide.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #706: January 15, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »
Honestly this is the worst move D'Hara has ever made. Now Luria hates them, the maroccidenians hate them, Sanguis Astroism will probably hate them and I doubt that even the south likes them considering the outright backstabbing.

I don't even know what they actually did yet, IC or OOC, I just have two different sources of rumors claiming they did something that sounds so ludicrously idiotic that I can't believe it's real.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #707: January 15, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
I don't even know what they actually did yet, IC or OOC, I just have two different sources of rumors claiming they did something that sounds so ludicrously idiotic that I can't believe it's real.

As do I. It's probably the dumbest move I have ever seen on BM. Ever. EVER.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #708: January 15, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
I laughed so hard when i saw that duchy transfer allegiance.

Especially now that there is sea travel. D'Hara's benefit of essentially city landings is non-existent.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #709: January 15, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
Laugh it up, Silverfire. I woke up this morning to a complete cluster!@#$.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #710: January 15, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »

Its okay. It'll work out. It always does.

Plus people enjoy ruining fun random wars.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #711: January 15, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
Its okay. It'll work out. It always does.

Plus people enjoy ruining fun random wars.

Ah...there's going to be a war either way. The only question is whether it'll be LN vs D'Hara or LN, D'Hara and everyone else vs Aurvandil.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #712: January 15, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »

My suggestion: ban whichever ambassador said D'hara was attacking, then ban every Vesperi noble that changed allegiance to join you. Peace at all costs.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #713: January 15, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Ah...there's going to be a war either way. The only question is whether it'll be LN vs D'Hara or LN, D'Hara and everyone else vs Aurvandil.

And the Aurvandil war will be 93x as fun.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #714: January 15, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
And the Aurvandil war will be 93x as fun.

Actually, I very much doubt that. A war with D'Hara would be a border war, not a march-a-week or sail-a-few-days war. It also wouldn't require coordinating with armies from another half-dozen realms.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #715: January 15, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
Actually, I very much doubt that. A war with D'Hara would be a border war, not a march-a-week or sail-a-few-days war. It also wouldn't require coordinating with armies from another half-dozen realms.

Falkirk isn't weeks away from the Lurias.

And a war with D'Hara will involve just as much sailing and wandering through starvation-ridden deserts.

LN has no simple border conflicts. Its why the Lurias have managed to have their own, mostly-isolated politics.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #716: January 15, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
Falkirk isn't weeks away from the Lurias.

I didn't say weeks: I said a week.

And a war with D'Hara will involve just as much sailing and wandering through starvation-ridden deserts.

The former isn't true: it doesn't take as long to sail to D'Hara as it does to Falkirk.

The latter, even if it were true, isn't particularly relevant: provisions are much easier to come by now, and we would only need them while we were in the Desert of Silhouettes itself.

At least for a time, the war against D'Hara would be happening directly on our western land border. Yes, after that it would require sailing, either along an old sea route or on the new sea zones, but only to embark in Sallowtown, arrive in the sea zone, and then make landfall somewhere on the D'Haran coast.

LN has no simple border conflicts. Its why the Lurias have managed to have their own, mostly-isolated politics.

While, strictly speaking, that's true, it's very incomplete.

The Lurias have only had internal politics for so long because until relatively recently, they were entirely surrounded by rogue regions. Pian en Luries was utterly, completely isolated for a very long time. The only conflict that was even possible was against Fissoa, and they were relatively pathetic enemies. If they had been a greater threat, the history of Luria would have played out very, very differently. (Possibly shorter, depending on how able we were to band together against an external threat.)

By the time other realms were close enough for it to be even a remote possibility, the culture of politicking and infighting was just too ingrained.
Timothy Collett

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #717: January 15, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »
Fissoa, and they were relatively pathetic enemies

:(

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #718: January 15, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »

Seriously, when you're more backstabby than the Lurians... this is just diplomatic suicide.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, please back it up. This was just a mess of circumstances. The defection of the Western Marches was unannounced and the Ambassador made a mistake. How do you assume this is malicious? We all wanted peace too.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #719: January 15, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, please back it up. This was just a mess of circumstances. The defection of the Western Marches was unannounced and the Ambassador made a mistake. How do you assume this is malicious? We all wanted peace too.

The war started in the first place because Luria learned that D'Hara was planning to neutralize Luria, because they believed Luria would invade.

From the very start, every time we have tried to get an agreement about anything, they have always tried to get us to give them more, more, more.

Then, after the most egregiously overreaching proposal so far from D'Hara is flat-out rejected, Rynn just says, "Oh, OK."

The next day, we hear that a D'Haran army is still on its way, and LV lands defect to D'Hara. And we don't immediately get a promise of the LV lands being returned: oh, no, this is "just what D'Hara needs to be able to fight Falkirk more effectively!"

So you tell me: Why the hell should we assume that it's anything but malicious?
Timothy Collett