Author Topic: new hdd  (Read 4588 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
new hdd
« Topic Start: July 21, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »
what a chore.

got me a new 2tb hdd
plugged it in, bios recognises it, so did windows.. sort of. the disk management knew there's a disk there and ask to initialise it.

done.

then partition and format it..... eh.. apparently i can partition it but not format it. quick format fails.. a slow format... practically freezes the machine.

shut it down and unplugged the new drive to repair windows (due to improper shutdown).... look it up some more and apparently i need to install motherboard drivers (nvidia nforce 680i)...

installed, plugged it back in again.. got rid of partitions and redid it.. quick format too a few seconds

just ranting..
just as well i didn't go for 3tb!
firefox

egamma

Re: new hdd
« Reply #1: July 26, 2012, 04:43:57 AM »
Certain systems have a 2TB partition limit as well.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 26, 2012, 04:49:06 AM »
Certain systems have a 2TB partition limit as well.

But 2 TB is massive, surely we will never need more then that :). Its the 640k base memory all over again.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 26, 2012, 07:26:40 AM »
ah... but since it's 2tb drive the 2tb limit doesn't apply. hence why i didn't get 3tb drive

it's just the old crappy nforce chipset acting up due to extra drivers not installed... so weird to have to install drivers for mobo. (as opposed to windows automatically having it up to date)

if i don't use the drivers, i can use seatools, but not format the disk/etc
if i use drivers, i can't use seatools, but everything else seem ok.
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 26, 2012, 07:28:38 AM »
ah... but since it's 2tb drive the 2tb limit doesn't apply. hence why i didn't get 3tb drive

it's just the old crappy nforce chipset acting up due to extra drivers not installed... so weird to have to install drivers for mobo. (as opposed to windows automatically having it up to date)

if i don't use the drivers, i can use seatools, but not format the disk/etc
if i use drivers, i can't use seatools, but everything else seem ok.

Thats not that odd. Windows is often behind with their "offical" drivers. At least I've always been able to get more up to date drivers from Nvidia for my graphics card then is available in Windows Update

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 26, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
yes.. but it's different. gfx cards don't need drivers to "work". it might be !@#$ without drivers but your screen show something, at least in basic 2d desktop.

but when you stick a hdd in, you can't actually format the drive to make it work without drivers?
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 26, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
yes.. but it's different. gfx cards don't need drivers to "work". it might be !@#$ without drivers but your screen show something, at least in basic 2d desktop.

but when you stick a hdd in, you can't actually format the drive to make it work without drivers?

Updated drivers of any kind need to go through Microsofts process before they appear on Windows Update, so there is always a delay.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 26, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »
eh.. it's not updated drivers.. it's drivers of any kind. seeing as this is a 3 year old problem. (google found an old post from aug 2009)

heck.. it's apparently known to seagate since vista and i have win 7...

"some old sata drivers have a limit of 1.1tb"
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 26, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
eh.. it's not updated drivers.. it's drivers of any kind. seeing as this is a 3 year old problem. (google found an old post from aug 2009)

heck.. it's apparently known to seagate since vista and i have win 7...

"some old sata drivers have a limit of 1.1tb"

Interesting, would imply that Nvidia never bother submitting the drivers. Not something I would expect from them since they submit other drivers.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 26, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
beats me. maybe it's nothing to do with drivers for all i know and just cabling. seeing as i did both drivers and reconnecting cabling.

all i can say is that in device manager... it wasn't called nvidia nforce thingy before i installed the drivers..
firefox

egamma

« Reply #10: July 27, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »
I used to have to use a Dynamic Drive Overlay. Major pain when I needed to run a disk check before windows started.