Author Topic: Lowered Population  (Read 7596 times)

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Lowered Population
« Topic Start: May 22, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
When population was balanced on Dwilight - after the new estate system was implemented - I understood and agreed with the action. The city of Giask had a population nearing three times larger than all of Sorraine. But when it comes to the Far East, the population re-balance irks me. Ozrat had a population of 10,400, now its below 7,800. Colasan, which is a moderately large city, has a mere population of 9100. Masahakon, the largest city on the continent, has a flimsy population of 22,600, yet on the map it looks massive.

I feel the atmosphere could use a little more flavor, in terms of a more vibrant and populated culture.

Does anyone else agree, or am I crazy?
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Lowered Population
« Reply #1: May 22, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 22, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
I am curious if the FEI ever truly had a "Far East" flavor to it relative to our Far East, i.e. did anyone expect it'd be a bit more Asian-influenced, or is it just more east than EC and therefore Far East.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 22, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

So I'm not crazy?

Largest cities in BM by continent, in order from smallest to largest:

Far East - Masahakon - 22,600.
Colonies - Alebad - 32,500 (Even Alebad, in the Colonies, the slow paced continent, has nearly 50% more population than Masahakon.)
Beluaterra - Eno - 71,600 (>300%)
Atamara - Suville - 72,600 (>300%)
Dwilight - Darfix - 102,100 (>450%)
East Continent - Ibladesh - 125,000 (>550%) I should note that Far East is its mirror continent

Am I mad? A little.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:18:14 PM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 22, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
The Far East is intentionally different than the other islands. That's why you have more cities and less rurals. Also, rather than comparing highest populations, try comparing gold production. That's what's important.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 23, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »
The Far East is intentionally different than the other islands. That's why you have more cities and less rurals. Also, rather than comparing highest populations, try comparing gold production. That's what's important.

Gold production rates don't set the medieval atmosphere for me. I could care less if we were poor and had to manage, or if we were rich and had the opportunity to splurge. Dramatically low and unrealistic populations angers me because it takes away from that very atmosphere and the overall feel of the game. My characters, their stories, their personalities, their interactions with other nobles and the world around them - including the peasant and noble populations  - are the most important things to my game play.

A massive battle, far reaching inquisition, or brutal slaughter can be key events that stick with players for years. The ones that have thousands upon thousands dieing are the ones people remember. For example: the Giask slaughter - at which Amaury Capet was called the Butcher of Giask until his death - was such a significant event that it stuck with every Lurian noble for years. It was fun, exhilarating, and incredibly awesome to simply hear about. I wasn't even playing then and I'm geeking out about it now.

No one wrote about Giask making hundreds or thousands of gold coins a week. What's important to my Battlemaster experience is what can be made into legend, chronicle, or bedtime story.

But of course, I posed the question to get everyone's thoughts on it, making your opinion as valid as my own :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:00:39 PM by Arundel »

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: May 23, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »

Perdan and Ibladesh's gold income did not change after the update!  ;)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 23, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
When population was balanced on Dwilight - after the new estate system was implemented - I understood and agreed with the action. The city of Giask had a population nearing three times larger than all of Sorraine. But when it comes to the Far East, the population re-balance irks me. Ozrat had a population of 10,400, now its below 7,800. Colasan, which is a moderately large city, has a mere population of 9100. Masahakon, the largest city on the continent, has a flimsy population of 22,600, yet on the map it looks massive.

I feel the atmosphere could use a little more flavor, in terms of a more vibrant and populated culture.

Does anyone else agree, or am I crazy?

I didn't realise the Far East was affected much by the population rebalancing. Masahakon always had in the low 20K population, didn't it?

As for comparisons to other islands, I do kinda agree. It always bothered me slightly that the Far East had such a lower peasant population when compared to the other islands.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 23, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Before the rebalances Masahakon had around 35,000 population IIRC.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 23, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »
I am curious if the FEI ever truly had a "Far East" flavor to it relative to our Far East, i.e. did anyone expect it'd be a bit more Asian-influenced, or is it just more east than EC and therefore Far East.

It was mostly the fact that it was a dupe of EI that it got the name. But, Serko built the original Arcaean Empire with a slight Asian influence in the buildup and backstory of the continent.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 24, 2012, 05:09:20 AM »
I also do not think FEI should have been pop rebalanced.  It was already more balanced than the other islands are now, before it took this hit.  Now it is just insane.

That said, I think it does make feeding our cities a bit easier, and considering how much trouble Zonasa was having doing that before, I can't completely complain.  But it removes a LOT of flavor, quite honestly.

FEI did have some Asian flavor in the beginning, but not, as I recall, a whole lot.  But there was some present if I recall correctly (it was a long time ago, and I wasn't around for the very beginning).

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 30, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
Well, 22k is a realistic population for a medieval city - medieval London, a sprawling city of its time, had a population of only about 20,000. It's Dwilight which is the anomaly due to having such large populations.

http://temporarilysignificant.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/city-city-those-other-places-whos-names.html

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 31, 2012, 01:37:37 AM »
Well, 22k is a realistic population for a medieval city - medieval London, a sprawling city of its time, had a population of only about 20,000. It's Dwilight which is the anomaly due to having such large populations.

http://temporarilysignificant.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/city-city-those-other-places-whos-names.html

Indeed.

Cities were quite small back then. The medieval ages were caractarized by its rural populations.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 31, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
FEI did have some Asian flavor in the beginning, but not, as I recall, a whole lot.  But there was some present if I recall correctly (it was a long time ago, and I wasn't around for the very beginning).

The only bit of asian flavour I've ever seen is in the name of Cathay :p

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 01, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »
Don't forget Sanctum of Casshern!