Author Topic: Lowered Population  (Read 7664 times)

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Lowered Population
« Reply #15: June 01, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Indeed.

Cities were quite small back then. The medieval ages were caractarized by its rural populations.

From the link,

"12th Century Constantinople had a population of 400,000 which is more like what I think of as a city. Baghdad had everyone beat in the high middle ages(2) by having a population of 1.2 million people. Chang'an during the Tang dynasty is said to be even bigger which is just typical of the Chinese and their competitive one-upmanship."

I consider Constantinople to be a more model-like city for BM because a lot of people play with religious tolerance and other such things. Much like what Constantinople was before and after the Turkish invasion. And though the link says the population of Paris is 'exagerated', Wikipedia and other sources, like this one (http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/westtech/x14thc.htm) on the black plague, reaffirm a 100k+ population.

This ties into the 'culture' aspect of this thread as well, wondering if being 'Far East' meant Oriental or Asiatic. If it were, much like the Chinese, we would have larger populations irregardless.

Concluding point: more people in cities.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:19:32 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus