Author Topic: Industry buildings for Knights and lords.  (Read 7167 times)

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Industry buildings for Knights and lords.
« Reply #15: June 09, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
Doubt it. All the infrastructures you will build will stay with the region you are building in.

I think once the dev team manages to add this, we will see many people sticking around with their estates.

I agree people tend to stick it out for something they've worked for rather than what was given to them. It's usually why regional lords stick around longer than the knights, they worked to gain the region and will work hard to keep it or claim a bigger more profitable one. But psychological study of the human mind proves that if they (a person) worked on it even for a small percentage of time they are more likely to stick or persevere with it even if it would be better logically to abandon it.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 09, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
If tom wants I can edit the first post in order to add all these in and make an official feature request. But if the Devs say this is being added in, maybe we can help with some ideas!

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 11, 2012, 04:03:01 AM »
My question is how will these buildings be available?  It does not make sense to build certain buildings in certain areas.  No point in building a mine in a rural area. 
Many of the buildings that I would consider building could be tied very nicely into resourses.  Mines, grain mills, lumber mills.  If we really expand resources-vinyards, orchards, brewers.  Will someone have to decide what bulidings can be built in each location? 

On a second note, how would the buildings be tied to the estate?  What happens if the estate is removed?  Do the buildings get destroyed?  Can a lord move buildings from empty estates into occupied ones?  This would not so much be moving the building as much as changing the boundaries of the estate.  I could see being able to move a building from a knights estate as well, but make sure knights can protest those actions.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 11, 2012, 04:42:09 AM »
Let them build whatever building they want. Does it really matter? If the building operates by a percentage increase of the regional baseline, then building a sawmill in a region with no trees wouldn't suddenly make the region produce craptons of wood. It would just 130% of 0.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 11, 2012, 04:57:33 AM »
Let them build whatever building they want. Does it really matter? If the building operates by a percentage increase of the regional baseline, then building a sawmill in a region with no trees wouldn't suddenly make the region produce craptons of wood. It would just 130% of 0.
+1
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 11, 2012, 05:10:37 AM »
That is a good point.  It would be good to then see what the actual bonus would be for a building before building it.  Even if it is a rough estimate.  Some buildings would be clear that it does not help, others might not.  That is a detail that could likely be added later.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 14, 2012, 02:31:02 AM »
How about this:

1) you can only have one building type at each estate (eg. only one sawmill / estate)
2) the more sawmill buildings you have operational in a region (an estate with one must be occupied) the more effective all of them are (if only a little bit)

OR

1) Have different kind of industry buildings for the same outcome, for example "(A)Logging Cabin", "(B)Saw Mill", "(C)Carpenter's Guild"
2) B only works if you have A and C only works if you have A and B or some such nonsense. You could also have D, E and F buildings, or it could work for some building types that you need two A's online for gaining a benefit from B.
3) Each of the ABCs would need to be in different regions (no realism there, pure gameplay choices)

The reasoning behind this is that a region could choose to focus on some aspect of region improvement, and if your estates all cooperate, you get a stronger bonus there but perhaps then need to sacrifice other benefits. A region could choose, for example, to really focus on the farming and food production and have it at 120% of normal food production. With a more balanced approach the region could have for example 110% of food production, 110% wood production and 110% tax income instead.

Then again I am really good at overcomplicating stuff. I quess all I am saying is that it would be really nice if the buildings one estate has could influence the buildings of the other estates in the same region, and that a lord who manages to have more estates filled could encourage industry chains for greater profit, but with a risk of breaking the chain if a knight leaves.

For additional fun, an industry building construction could work a little the same way as recruitment center construction does. You could build a sawmill, and it could be anything from 10% to 100% efficiency. If you are not happy with the result, tear it down and try again. This would make some buildings very valuable, and you would hate to need to tear them down for making room for some other type of a building. As with RCs, you could just choose to build a generic industry building cheap, and it is up to luck what kind of a building the game generates. Perhaps, as in RC construction, some special buildings could only be had this way.

Imagine the pain if you really had your estate trimmed to impressive perfection, and then the region lord changes and then he kicks you out. Or you lose your estate to war, and lot of the stuff gets burned down. You would end up loving your estates, and perhaps going to great lengths to save them from doom.

mykavykos

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 14, 2012, 06:03:39 AM »
I would like to see a little less randomness and more hard work and dedication to have better results.
Why cant we have a way to extensively invest in something until it become good?

If we make the skill downgrade with time, them only those who really invest time and gold will have results.

I think that this also help binding people to their estates and regions.