Author Topic: IR question.  (Read 7971 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: IR question.
« Reply #15: June 02, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
I will not make this an IR nor change the wording to include it.

The matter has never come up before, and is still theoretical from what I read here. Therfore, I simply don't see the need for a rule. The original question was answered, if this comes up and is a problem, we will deal with it.

But I won't make it an IR due to the consequences outlined. I wouldn't mind a bit of incentive for going to tournaments, or even pressure - more potential for roleplaying.

It may be theoretical in the sense of no one has complained yet, but it has happened that people have been strongly encouraged to attend tournaments.  When Jenred and Edara got married at a tournament, for instance, Jenred made it quite clear he expected high attendance from Arcaeans, and while there was no explicit punishment for those who didn't, at least one lordship went to someone else because of tournament attendance.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 03, 2012, 06:12:41 AM »
It may be theoretical in the sense of no one has complained yet, but it has happened that people have been strongly encouraged to attend tournaments.  When Jenred and Edara got married at a tournament, for instance, Jenred made it quite clear he expected high attendance from Arcaeans, and while there was no explicit punishment for those who didn't, at least one lordship went to someone else because of tournament attendance.

The way I see it: consider it as legit. If some day someone does this in a way that manages to seriously harm another player's harm, we'll likely be able to summon the social contract to give him a warning, and we'll be given a basis upon which to consider changes to the IR. After all these years, it never was a problem. No need to make one of it if one doesn't occur on its own.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 04, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
I would suggest it is totally fine, expecially if there are RP reasons behind it, such as that wedding.

But then I also think that a noble leaving the realm when they are needed to go off and play in a Tournament is very irresponsible on the nobles point and should be IC punished. To do so otherwise allows OOC to trump IC which i've always considered as bad roleplaying and the sign of a bad roleplayer

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 04, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
But then I also think that a noble leaving the realm when they are needed to go off and play in a Tournament is very irresponsible on the nobles point and should be IC punished. To do so otherwise allows OOC to trump IC which i've always considered as bad roleplaying and the sign of a bad roleplayer

Too bad. It's an IR. Punish in any way, and you're looking at losing your position and/or getting your account temporarily locked.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 04, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »
I would suggest it is totally fine, expecially if there are RP reasons behind it, such as that wedding.

To elaborate a bit, the purpose of the IRs can be found on the wiki:

"These rights are OOC fun-preserving tools. They are meant to guarantee you, the player, can participate in the game properly."

Note the emphasis on 'OOC'. They are rules that exist outside of the game to protect the rights of players, not characters, and they are deemed important enough by Tom to warrant trumping IG considerations.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #20: June 05, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »

IC, yes.

But in this case OOC does trump IC. Because for many players, tournaments are about the only opportunity they ever get to meet players from other realms on a friendly basis.