Author Topic: Is Dwilight SMA or low fantasy SMA?  (Read 27649 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwilight SMA or low fantasy SMA?
« Reply #75: June 12, 2012, 11:37:09 PM »
Just because people call it a griffon egg doesn't make it one. Could just as well be an egg-shaped rock.

If the game says you have Griffon eggs, then that is what they are.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: June 13, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
Flintstone (2x)
Fool's Gold
Griffon Egg (2x)
Hair of a Maiden
Junk (2x)

The actual acquiring of it, after I defeated an alpha monster (who apparently must have been a Griffon,) included a text saying the mother wouldn't be too pleased. Now, considering there are monsters and undead, it could be assumed that a dire wolf or a griffon could be a monsters. The chances of raising a dire wolf as a pet is far-fetched, I agree, but having one in the first place (in comparison to a fricken griffon) is plausible considering evolution. NOW, the real question is since the Griffon is part hawk and part lion, and Hawks can be trained, while Lions can be.......... unleashed, would it be possible to attempt raising one :P? Archaic and medieval societies all believed in the prowess of the Griffon, hence the heraldry and the numerous statues.

I'd say that depends on how you handle it. Something tells me that roleplaying about riding your loyal griffon mount through the sky would not pass muster if it was reported. Again, context, content and plot all matter here. Becoming some sort of flying griffon knight is pushing pretty deeply into high fantasy territory. Caring for a fledgling griffon for a short time until it gets too large and dangerous to handle or otherwise flies off? Well, that's more plausible, if not the wisest thing for a character who values his limbs to do.

In the end, SMA is about fostering a certain atmosphere. It would be next to impossible to define a set of hard and fast rules to describe something so subjective, especially when Tom has already introduced so many explicitly fantastic elements into the setting. If you're going to introduce low fantasy elements into your own RPs in this atmosphere, you're in dangerous territory and should not be upset if you end up getting an SMA violation, but it is my opinion that such things can be done tastefully and in an appropriate SMA-friendly way.

A Game of Thrones is actually not a terrible thematic model to follow, provided you treat certain things (mainly the fantastic elements) carefully as items that are mainly the purview of Tom. A Game of Thrones presents, in its characterizations and the ways that characters interact with each other and the setting, a fairly ideal SMA world, at least within the bounds of Westeros itself.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: June 13, 2012, 01:17:42 AM »
A Game of Thrones is actually not a terrible thematic model to follow, provided you treat certain things (mainly the fantastic elements) carefully as items that are mainly the purview of Tom. A Game of Thrones presents, in its characterizations and the ways that characters interact with each other and the setting, a fairly ideal SMA world, at least within the bounds of Westeros itself.
This is an excellent summary. When I read the first book of the series, it struck as to how much the series and BattleMaster seemed made for each other.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: June 13, 2012, 09:33:46 AM »

The chances of raising a dire wolf as a pet is far-fetched, I agree, but having one in the first place (in comparison to a fricken griffon) is plausible considering evolution. NOW, the real question is since the Griffon is part hawk and part lion, and Hawks can be trained, while Lions can be.......... unleashed, would it be possible to attempt raising one :P? Archaic and medieval societies all believed in the prowess of the Griffon, hence the heraldry and the numerous statues.

You got plain, simple vulture eggs.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: June 13, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
This is an excellent summary. When I read the first book of the series, it struck as to how much the series and BattleMaster seemed made for each other.

Yes.

Big bucks for Tom if we could pitch it to the A Game of Thrones folks and open up a Westeros island with the A Game of Thrones trademark.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #80: June 13, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
Big bucks for Tom if we could pitch it to the A Game of Thrones folks and open up a Westeros island with the A Game of Thrones trademark.

No. BattleMaster is its own world. If you want to play a Game of Thrones game, there are some around and I'm sure more are coming out soon.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: June 13, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
No. BattleMaster is its own world. If you want to play a Game of Thrones game, there are some around and I'm sure more are coming out soon.

Was jus' sayin'....
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #82: June 13, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
You can certainly pitch it to the Game of Thrones crowd as something similar they might enjoy. I'm sure people who enjoy the intrigue and politics of the movies/books would find BM a much more enjoyable game than the average strategy / conquest computer game. But I'm not hopping on any other trains when I have my own, and BM has been around for 11 years now - much longer than almost every trend. If I had made it resemble whatever was drawing crowds 11 years ago, most people today wouldn't know what we're talking about anymore.