Author Topic: Laborers/Builder Units  (Read 4866 times)

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile
Laborers/Builder Units
« Topic Start: June 09, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »

Title: Laborers/Builders Units
Summary: Recruitable units quite the opposite of Infantry, Archers, SF and Calvary. they would be builder units who unlike the combat based units excel at civil work, certain  types of take overs, repairing infrastructure of a region which could be open and most reasonably used with Courtiers. Would given Courtiers a boost in their personal abilities of helping a realm in maintenance, while still having to dish out gold weekly like a warrior on their men.
Details: Simply create a new unit type that doesn't lose Morale doing civil work, excel at doing the work and other courtier duties.
Benefits: Balance out as a gold sink for Courtiers to maintain a realm especially in damaged regions where they may recruit a large amount of labor force to help repair a region. Or keep a small fit unit of laborers. would have same options such as training them to be more effective, keeping thier morale high. However combat wise they make good meat shields.
Possible Exploits: Using it to give the appearance of alot of men when moving with a main army. Keeping them in cities would certainly add considerably to their defense making them formidable when they aren't intended for such.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Re: Laborers/Builder Units
« Reply #1: June 09, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
Considered from a gaming viewpoint, it might  be possible. But when considered from a medieval viewpoint, I cannot see it. Can you imagine the dishonour/shame that having such a unit would incur? As if archery is not bad enough, but glorified labourers?

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 09, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »
Courtiers are usually less prestigious and honorable than a Cavalier or Warrior Noble anyhow, it fits in and makes the courtier class more applicable and impacting on a realm.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 09, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
Well, not Labourers... Engineers. ;) The men do the work, not the noble.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 09, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »
I was thinking on the "Topic: Industry buildings for Knights and lords."  I liked the idea of Families or Nobles 'famous' for his fine craftsmen.

I have read this post, and I though more than a unit this would be Paraphernalia. Like healers or Scouts. You could buy ' Engineers'  as you buy Healers.  :)

mmm... of course this is probably not possible, but the Paraphernalia could be used too to buy specialized workers, merging this with the building idea of the other tread and make a full new 'family' of Paraphernalia?  ??? 

armour and weapons craftsmen, engineers, etc...

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 09, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
Also, if a noble would need labourers he'd rather hire them locally for the duration of the project - not recruit them in the capital taking them with him wherever he goes

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 09, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
Again, that's assuming you're discussing laborers and not engineers and such, a-la Da Vinci. No mere fool could oversee the quality construction of a recruitment center or an entire city, or even a proper length of road. Very few had such technical knowledge in the medieval era, the common laborers all catering to the designs of the geniuses who drew up the plans and orchestrated the construction of castles, cities, roads, and walls.

I think engineer units would be quite useful. Anyway, labourer just sounds... Peasant.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 09, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »
The unit that your noble leads are soldier, trained and paid to fight. They are not common laborers. I can't imagine that anything like a labor unit would be added.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: June 09, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
The unit that your noble leads are soldier, trained and paid to fight. They are not common laborers. I can't imagine that anything like a labor unit would be added.

And this is why your men complain when you make them do civil works. They are not labourers.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #9: June 10, 2012, 01:30:37 AM »

hence why people are saying it is more akin to engineers and architects than laborers.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 10, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »
The name isn't the problem. The concept is the problem.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 10, 2012, 06:12:25 AM »
I'd rather have engineer paraphernalia than engineer units.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #12: June 10, 2012, 07:29:27 AM »
I'd rather have engineer paraphernalia than engineer units.

+1 on that

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 10, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
As paraphernalia it would make (some) sense, I suppose. Would be rather odd to run around with 30-ish engineers :P

Though I don't think your men would appreciate doing civil work under the 'command' of a mere architect, so I'd reckon the morale loss to be only higher

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 10, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »
I think the engineers would work (in some way) as the healers.

You have a healer... point. You don't buy healing potions, and bandages and beds, nurses, etc... you only buy the healer, all the manpower and supplies are abstract, the healer takes all this work out of you.

An engineer would work the same way, he would be the one to get the peasants to make wherever is needed and buy all supplies, etc... you only have to give him the gold!   ;D