Author Topic: tracking food imports/exports  (Read 4071 times)

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
tracking food imports/exports
« Topic Start: June 17, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »
For the last few weeks, I have been trying to track which lords are selling food, and to whom (in realm, outside of realm), as well as track production and consumption growth levels. Aside from simply asking the lords, I have found that I have to write a report, which I submit to my realm council every week, and a less comprehensive breakdown to the realm. Does anyone else do this? Anyone got any tips to make this easier?

Region names censored to protect the innocent.

Code: [Select]
Our regions that produce more food than they consume are as follows, along with how much food is currently stored:
#####/68 - a decrease of 41 bushels. 100 bushels confirmed imported. Because of the strange levels, 150 bushels may have been exported.
#####/466 - an increase of 70 bushels. At most only 20 can be attributed to production, meaning a total of approximately 50 bushels imported.
#####/146 - an increase of 72 bushels. Production values indicate a total increase of 130 bushels, meaning approximately 200 bushels exported.
#####/745 - an increase of 112 bushels, consistent with production levels.
#####/287 - an increase of 202 bushels, 200 bushels confirmed imported.
#####/100 - 100 bushels confirmed imported.

Based on the information I have before me today, we currently have 4042 bushels stored in our granaries, an increase of 531. An additional 100 bushels are for sale on the market, bringing our total food to 4142 bushels stored in our granaries, an increase of 631. After taking into consideration our total consumption of approx. 234 bushels, approx. a net total of 400 bushels have been imported from other realms over the past week.

Our regions that consume more food than they produce are as follows, along with how much food is stored:
#####/31 - Consistent with consumption levels.
#####/1466 - a decrease of 46 bushels. Consumption levels indicate approx 721 bushels consumed, meaning a total of 675 bushels imported.
#####/285 - a decrease of 59 bushels, consistent with consumption levels.
#####/176 - an increase of 82 bushels. Consumption levels indicate approx 14 bushels consumed, meaning 100 bushels imported.
#####/292 - an increase of 68 bushels. Consumption levels indicate approx 21 bushels consumed, meaning 100 bushels imported (rounded).

Known imports are:
100 - #####
50 - #####
200 - #####
100 - #####
675 - #####
100 - #####
100 - #####
= 1325

Known exports are:
200 - #####
(150 #####, possibly)
=200
(=350)

With the exception of knowing how much food we have for sale on the market, I'm drawing all this information from the FoodReport.php screen... Sure would be nice if drafting this report didn't take two hours off my weekend.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: tracking food imports/exports
« Reply #1: June 17, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
Aside from simply asking the lords, I have found that I have to write a report, which I submit to my realm council every week, and a less comprehensive breakdown to the realm. Does anyone else do this? Anyone got any tips to make this easier?

Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb ;)

Seriously. Why do you need to post such a report? What's gained by that? Sounds like you're just making work for yourself that isn't needed. As long as all regions are fed what do you care?
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 17, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I tend to agree with Lilwolf. Why do you bother with the report? does it serve any real ppurpose?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 17, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
I tend to agree with Lilwolf. Why do you bother with the report? does it serve any real ppurpose?

I think it does, or at least I hoped it would when I first started writing these reports. To be fair though, each week I add information and make it more intricate. This latest draft only took as long as it did because someone made a few transactions while I was writing it, forcing me to go over it, change some figures, and double check my work.

Originally it was designed to assess and predict the food needs of our regions consuming more that they produce (our largest city for example, which consumes over 100 bushels a day. Combined with the fact that we are on the front lines of a war and need to import food, I thought it made sense to find out if anyone was selling food to other realms, instead of our starving city. If it became a problem, then we'd know who not to give future lordships to, or even charge with treason if it got bad enough.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 17, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
How do you determine if your lords are selling outside the realm, other than to ask them? Do you just assume that any lord that has food missing and no accounted sales has exported outside the realm? How do you account for the possibility that your own/allied traders are selling to foreign realms, so it may not be the lord's fault?

It is an interesting exercise, though.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 17, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »
How do you determine if your lords are selling outside the realm, other than to ask them? Do you just assume that any lord that has food missing and no accounted sales has exported outside the realm? How do you account for the possibility that your own/allied traders are selling to foreign realms, so it may not be the lord's fault?

He has a great point, even if its a realm only trade, any traders of your realm can trade outside the realm.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 17, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »
eh... he can?

ok.. that is just wrong... you would think realm only offers mean both buyer and seller have to be from the parent realm?
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 17, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
you would think realm only offers mean both buyer and seller have to be from the parent realm?
If a trader is brokering the deal, then the only requirement is that the trader himself has to meet the restrictions of both sides of a deal separately. A Corian trader can broker a "Coria only" deal to sell food to Eston if Eston posts an unrestricted Buy offer.

If A is allied to B, B is allied to C, but A and C are neutral to each other, then a trader from B can broker an "allies only" deal between A and C. A trader from a neutral realm can even broker a deal between two realms that are at war. (i.e. an Astrum trader can broker a deal to sell Terran food to Kabrinskia. Not that we would ever do such a sneaky thing...  ;) ) This is 100% intentional.

When a trade is brokered, both regions are told the *name* of the trader that brokered the deal, but not the identity of the other party involved. Again, this is 100% intentional.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 17, 2012, 08:11:47 PM »

Well as I said in the opening post, try to determine. Obviously I haven't perfected my technique. And given all this "why bother" attitude, I'm not sure its worth it anymore

egamma

« Reply #9: June 17, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »
I'm a  banker, and all I do is warn lords that are about to run out of food, that their region is in need of food.  I occasionally provide a report on the realm's population-"-96.7% and growing by 100 peasants per day"--and I'll provide aggregate food reports as well--"The realm has 10,000 bushels of food, which will last 67 days" (figures are examples only, off the top of my head).

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #10: June 18, 2012, 02:58:51 AM »
I used to be Banker and write up weekly reports, then I took an arrow to the.

On a more serious note, I found that the reports then allowed others to see what the Banker actually does... or doesn't in some cases. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.