Author Topic: Arcaean Empire  (Read 33707 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Arcaean Empire
« Reply #45: July 04, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
So I've gathered, although the war games sounds like moving back toward Jenred's original plan.

Not wanting to sour your game, but war games, if it is what I'm thinking of, was not allowed. I believe Corsanctum-Morek and Libero-Summerdale had had the idea at the times of TMP.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 04, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
Not wanting to sour your game, but war games, if it is what I'm thinking of, was not allowed. I believe Corsanctum-Morek and Libero-Summerdale had had the idea at the times of TMP.

I don't know what Velax is discussing at this point, but Jenred's original plan was for, essentially, realm vs realm duels with certain looting limitations to keep the infrastructure intact.  The winner gets the Imperial crown, or at least moves up in ranking. 
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 04, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
I don't know what Velax is discussing at this point, but Jenred's original plan was for, essentially, realm vs realm duels with certain looting limitations to keep the infrastructure intact.  The winner gets the Imperial crown, or at least moves up in ranking.

Duels as in mini-battles?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 04, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Duels as in mini-battles?

No no.  Duels in the sense of, one vs one at the realm level.  So, the rest of the empire is honour bound to intervene...To keep anyone else from intervening.  You fight from the beginning of spring to the end of fall, and whichever realm wins takes the higher of the two ranks up for grabs.  So, if there are three realms, and the third realm challenges the second realm, the top realm is obligated to fight, if necessary, to keep anyone else from getting involved.  At the end of the war, the third realm is determined to be the winner, and thus becomes the second realm.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 04, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »
No no.  Duels in the sense of, one vs one at the realm level.  So, the rest of the empire is honour bound to intervene...To keep anyone else from intervening.  You fight from the beginning of spring to the end of fall, and whichever realm wins takes the higher of the two ranks up for grabs.  So, if there are three realms, and the third realm challenges the second realm, the top realm is obligated to fight, if necessary, to keep anyone else from getting involved.  At the end of the war, the third realm is determined to be the winner, and thus becomes the second realm.

Yes, but fight how? Dueling between nobles or battles with soldiers?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 04, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
Battles
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: July 04, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »

It's a war.  You fight it like a war (with some limitations on looting so that the empire doesn't destroy half its own resources).  It's only a duel in the sense that no realm besides the two fighting can intervene.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 04, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
It's a war.  You fight it like a war (with some limitations on looting so that the empire doesn't destroy half its own resources).  It's only a duel in the sense that no realm besides the two fighting can intervene.

Yea, that idea was rejected. It was considered to avoid TMP, but it was said it would not be acceptable. Something about war being war and such.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 04, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
Yea, that idea was rejected. It was considered to avoid TMP, but it was said it would not be acceptable. Something about war being war and such.

You're missing the point.  This isn't a friendly, we're totally not going to do anything permanent war.  This is a real war.  You keep whatever you take (and while I think it's unlikely, if you completely wipe out the other realm, then they stay wiped), and the stakes are quite high since your realm rank would be determined by your victory or loss, and the Ruler of the whole thing comes from the highest ranked realm.  Especially since there is no TMP, this is not an attempt to avoid game mechanics, this is an attempt to provide a succession for a multi-realm entity in a way that makes sense and is fun.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 04, 2012, 10:33:55 PM »
You're missing the point.  This isn't a friendly, we're totally not going to do anything permanent war.  This is a real war.  You keep whatever you take (and while I think it's unlikely, if you completely wipe out the other realm, then they stay wiped), and the stakes are quite high since your realm rank would be determined by your victory or loss, and the Ruler of the whole thing comes from the highest ranked realm.  Especially since there is no TMP, this is not an attempt to avoid game mechanics, this is an attempt to provide a succession for a multi-realm entity in a way that makes sense and is fun.

Sorry, it has been made before: the Lurias. 8)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: July 04, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
It's an interesting idea. But something about the whole "leaderboard" feel of it rubs me wrong. Still, it's on FEI, not Dwilight, so...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 04, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »
It's pretty much the Mongol system. War to decide who's the next Khan!

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: July 05, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »
It's an interesting idea. But something about the whole "leaderboard" feel of it rubs me wrong. Still, it's on FEI, not Dwilight, so...

The leaderboard thing hasn't been proposed in game, as far as I know. Right now the idea is that the realms can just fight eachother for the position of emperor.

I wouldn't call them war games, since it's a real war for an important title, just one with a strict code of honor behind it.

Zakilevo

« Reply #58: July 05, 2012, 02:00:19 AM »
The leaderboard thing hasn't been proposed in game, as far as I know. Right now the idea is that the realms can just fight eachother for the position of emperor.

I wouldn't call them war games, since it's a real war for an important title, just one with a strict code of honor behind it.

Succession wars are not war games >:( they are real wars. In this case, I guess they can be called a big scale civil war.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: July 05, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »
It's pretty much the Mongol system. War to decide who's the next Khan!

Mongol is considered medieval european, right?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre