Author Topic: Arcaean Empire  (Read 33311 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Arcaean Empire
« Reply #60: July 05, 2012, 07:40:05 AM »
It's an interesting idea. But something about the whole "leaderboard" feel of it rubs me wrong. Still, it's on FEI, not Dwilight, so...

Ick.  Not a leaderboard.  A rank system.  I.e. when you have the big feat, the Emperor sits at the head of the table, the Ruler of the next highest realm sits to his right, and so on.  In official heraldry and other matters of precedence, nobles from thus realm rank higher than those of that other realm.  If the third ranked realm is a Grand Duke, the fourth ranked realm better not have a King or they will be accused of getting above themselves.

And, of course, you have the taxes to further incentivize people, though I don't know if Velax is keeping that part.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: July 05, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »
Succession wars are not war games >:( they are real wars. In this case, I guess they can be called a big scale civil war.

My inspiration for this was some half remembered tales of how the High Kings of Ireland were chosen, combined with a desire to formally incorporate one on one wars while not stopping other wars.  The original idea was to just call them Challenges.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: July 05, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
What I liked best from the proposal was that we could compete for objectives, even against other realms. So if Velax dies, absconds, or implodes, we can chose something like: The first to capture Sasrhas and hold it for one week wins. Or in between realms such as: Arcaea must defend and hold Nocaneb for a consecutive three weeks, whereas Sorraine and Coralynth must take Nocaneb and hold it for one week. Maybe: Arcaea's objective is Arempos and Soniel, Sorraine's is Athios and Attlel, and Coralynth's is Hosiel and Apasur. (Evidently post-Ohnar West conquest.)

This kind of stuff excites me because it adds a new layer to Empire realms at which intrigue, battles, and RP's can be made from. Wars - since this is not SMA - can have rules of engagement, clauses, and a code of conduct. It can also have set objectives (as it should be in SMA anyways, few wars were for total conquest) and set times.

I say, why not?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:41:05 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #63: July 05, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
What I liked is that the emperor can tell a ruler can tell a general can tell a marshal can tell a TL to move to an adjacent region. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #64: July 05, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »
What I liked best from the proposal was that we could compete for objectives, even against other realms. So if Velax dies, absconds, or implodes, we can chose something like: The first to capture Sasrhas and hold it for one week wins. Or in between realms such as: Arcaea must defend and hold Nocaneb for a consecutive three weeks, whereas Sorraine and Coralynth must take Nocaneb and hold it for one week. Maybe: Arcaea's objective is Arempos and Soniel, Sorraine's is Athios and Attlel, and Coralynth's is Hosiel and Apasur. (Evidently post-Ohnar West conquest.)

This kind of stuff excites me because it adds a new layer to Empire realms at which intrigue, battles, and RP's can be made from. Wars - since this is not SMA - can have rules of engagement, clauses, and a code of conduct. It can also have set objectives (as it should be in SMA anyways, few wars were for total conquest) and set times.

I say, why not?

IT would be interesting to see Velax implode...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: July 06, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »

Experience tells me that if you leave it open-ended like that, the negotiations on what constitutes a fair objective will cause the whole thing to fall apart.  I also find that much, much, much too "wargame"-y.

This was Jenred's original plan, for those who haven't seen it.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Arcaea/Charter_of_the_Noca

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: January 26, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »
And the Empire expands again.

I'm glad I re-read this thread, because I was looking for Jenred's original plans for the intra-Empire warfare and couldn't find it.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: January 26, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
And now is the critical stage.  You have reached the point where you are big enough to trounce everything except the rest of the island...But the rest of the island can, at least in theory, stop you.  And unless the rest of the island is stupid (which it's not, not with Galiard around, can't speak for the rest), they realize that.  This is where the politicking is going to go absolutely nuts while the Empire tries to stabilize and prepare, and various other groups try to figure out if they can combine.

I want to !@#$ing move so I can have time to unpause Jenred and play him properly.  I'm literally sitting here twitching thinking about how much I want in.

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #68: January 26, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I want to !@#$ing move so I can have time to unpause Jenred and play him properly.  I'm literally sitting here twitching thinking about how much I want in.

Sweet. Sounds like I picked a good time to join Arcaea after all. :)
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: January 27, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »
Moving this week!  Finally!  Should be diving back in next weekend, and will, I think, have Kelley and Laura's characters back as well!

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: January 27, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »
Moving this week!  Finally!  Should be diving back in next weekend, and will, I think, have Kelley and Laura's characters back as well!

Woot! Now we get to have a civil war between Jenred and Velax for the crown! XD

(Well, so I dream anyway...)

Zakilevo

« Reply #71: January 27, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »

:O Finally :)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: January 27, 2013, 04:47:02 AM »
Woot! Now we get to have a civil war between Jenred and Velax for the crown! XD

(Well, so I dream anyway...)

Highly unlikely.  There's a reason why Jenred picked Velax as his successor.  More likely is a...genteel set of maneuvering to see who ends up having what kind of influence.  Odd as this may sound to a number of people, Jenred never wanted to rule anything.  He just wanted certain things to get done.  If Velax is willing to do those things, then Jenred will likely be quite content to be, say, Paladin Primus of the Empire, and retroactively declared the First Emperor.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: February 02, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
And now is the critical stage.  You have reached the point where you are big enough to trounce everything except the rest of the island...But the rest of the island can, at least in theory, stop you.  And unless the rest of the island is stupid (which it's not, not with Galiard around, can't speak for the rest), they realize that.  This is where the politicking is going to go absolutely nuts while the Empire tries to stabilize and prepare, and various other groups try to figure out if they can combine.

In related news, which may or may not have any real significance at all (depending on my continued interest level), Arella is on the move. Aenilia is not, but she is.

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: February 07, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »
I smell a bit of tension in the air.   8)
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.