Author Topic: A New Religion (Advice appreciated!)  (Read 19128 times)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
Re: A New Religion (Advice appreciated!)
« Reply #30: July 11, 2012, 02:01:55 AM »
Ah... Huh. Any value to being a non-combat Hero then? I guess I'll have to be a Courtier then. If only I could be an Infiltrator... Priest-Assassin. Sounds very fitting, bahaha.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

egamma

« Reply #31: July 11, 2012, 04:51:30 AM »
Ah... Huh. Any value to being a non-combat Hero then?

You can tell tales, but this gets rarer and rarer the less you see combat.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: July 11, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
Well, that sounds pretty useless. I'm tempted to go Hero on my future-priest (TECHNOPRIEST - just kidding!) but I'd be super-pissed if all the work I put into RP goes to shyte because I decided to traipse into a daimon horde with the sword-skill of a one-legged blind-man.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: July 11, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
You can tell tales, but this gets rarer and rarer the less you see combat.
Untrue statement is ... not true.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: July 11, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »
Untrue statement is ... not true.

Oh, I don't know; he may be wrong about the mechanism, but I dare say the effect is actually quite like that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: July 11, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
From what I've researched, while I can tell tales their effect becomes minimal as best as more and more times goes by. Sort of like "That crazy old priest guy who tells the same damn story every time I see him."

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: July 11, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
The religion is centered around a pretty complex and expansive pantheon in which all gods are worshipped as facets of reality, yet individuals and regions have their chosen avatars/lords/higher gods. There's a whole system of interesting rivalries and politics within the pantheon...

So like this? — http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Athra

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: July 11, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »
No and Yes. One EXTREMELY important point of my religion is to denote the obvious lack of morality in religion, humanity, and the gods - more akin to the Greek and Norse gods doing whatever the bloody hell they want, than a system where they preach absolute good and evil. I am a STRICT nonbeliever in black-and-white morality and that is reflected in my playing style, RP, and religion. Well, you'll see soon enough.

"Morality

Morality is a concept which often relies on dualities or opposite extremes. Either you are "good", or you are "evil".

As far as this goes, my religion is entirely amoral. I specifically include so many utterly conflicting accounts as possible just to further cement how mind-bogglingly ridiculous the gods can be at times. In essence, I like highlighting my personal idea that the gods are no more than humans given divine power - avatars of ourselves if we had the power to change reality. Would we be just as corrupt? Damn right. Would we love just as passionately? You can bet yer' burning loins, my fellow spirited lovers. Would we hate with just as much ferver? You can !@#$ing guarantee it.

Its a bit difficult to explain without putting up a wiki. I should probably do so. There are conflicting schools of thought in my religion, on purpose, and its pretty much my own religious beliefs put into text. I've been told by a few hundred people that I should start a cult. I could never, ever consider myself religious. I'm an atheist to be entirely honest - I adhere to the school of thought that all gods are reflections of human character, personalities and ideas - and that when you worship a god you are in fact worshipping the Self, just a particular aspect of humanity given form in your mind. Hell, !@#$ if I know if all this worshipping is making some magical baby Jesus pop into existence in another universe or alternate dimension, I leave all that craziness to my cross-multiversal dimension-jumping Scifi novel/RP-game and religion, which is a WHOOOLE 'nother cup o' tea.

Man, I really need to get that damn wiki up.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: July 12, 2012, 02:02:13 AM »
Hmm, I got into an RP mood. <_< I wonder if this was a big over-the-top of a response to someone's genuine and innocent curiosity about the divinity I preach, bahaha.

--- --- ---

Sir Gellaer,

Preposterous! It is your mortal right to inquire on the divine truths of this world - such curiosity is the flame which shapes humanity! I did not come to know these things simply by through cultural bombardment at the hands of my family, I took a stance toward respecting the divine spirit of our world and sought to learn as much of it as I could. If you have Any questions then I request that you ask to your heart's content.

Ask about the winds which flow through the life-bringing bows of ancient and towering oaks, about the stone-wearing ebb and flow of ageless oceans across time, about the divine spark of all that is and shall be in this world, about the rise and fall of mortal legacies - generation upon generation dripping by in time's ceaseless crawl, every child renewing the fervor and unspoken glory of his or her house... Ask about the many faces of the many gods of mortal man, the vessels which they inhabit, and the voices through which they broadcast their Will. Ask me anything your heart desires, however fleeting or foolish it may seem, and I shall do my best to answer your inquiries.

I do not know all - only blessed Alura The All-Seer can claim such wisdom in eternal vision. What I can offer you is a glimpse into a world greater than our own, of realms that defy convention and who's inhabitants have shaped our own. I can offer but a fractured gaze into multi-dimensional mirrors littered across time and space, fragmented glimpses of what came before and shall one day be. I can recall neither every soft-spoken legend nor every universal truth, but I can offer you the slightest bit of wisdom I hold in my heart and mind. I am but a mortal vessel serving greater purpose - the hand and voice of the gods above. I am not superior to you, nor are they to deem you inferior to even they. As chaotic as the gods might be, they share the belief that all living beings are worthy of praise and respect - for every immortal soul is one and the same. Cast away the flesh of what is and you shall see what was and shall always be - the spirit of man and god intertwined for all eternity.

We are not their children, nor their inferiors, no. We are they, the very gods themselves - like tears shed from skies above. We were cast away from their perfection yet share an unutterable bond forged in the immaterial boundlessness of Primordium - a cosmic infinity that defies all attempts of translation into visions the mind's eye can bare to witness. We are flesh, indeed, but the souls which give us power are as ancient as the gods themselves.

It is true - You and I, the nameless gods, and all that falls and rises - we are cut of the same divine cloth, our souls forged from the very same vessel of immortal chaos. It is by this logic, for this reason that we are as necessary to the gods as they are to us. We are linked, indeed, by the bonds of something far beyond our grasp. It is that very link that the Daimonhordes wish to exploit. By the logic of all which I believe, the Overlord of Daimonkind seeks human souls that they may conquer the very gods! As the sacred stars high above are extinguished forevermore, the souls of god bound to firmament ceaselessly exiled from sight - we shall become prey to the unassailable darkness that writhes just beyond the light. The ebb and flow of our world's shadow is naught in comparison to the living blackness which threatens our very existence... And yet we are ignorant of it all, blind in our worship of man's countless gods while they blister away in vehement supernovae - soul after glorious divine soul lost to the blackness of the endless void.

We are fortunate indeed to have never gazed upon such maddening half-truths as that which I now express. It is with greater purpose within us that we fight to survive, though we know not. There is a reason why we fear the night and embrace the sunlit sky... A reason to our passion toward the sacred firmament high above. Have you ever wondered why Man has praised the sacred stars since the inception of history and conscious thought? Though our logic cannot grasp at such profound and unutterable truths, we seek such shattered glimpses through metaphors of the divine and all that is... The simple truth is, we are incapable of baring witness to the true glory of the god - their shimmering visage would render a mortal mind inert and annihilate from memory all mention of the their divinity. We were not made to walk amongst god, just as god cannot walk among men. Not from lack of desire, but by necessity. We each have our place in the blessed cycle, each baring witness to a fragment of eternity. Mortal and immortal fighting for survival - side by side - never to meet. But our souls, yes - our immortal souls shall peel away as flesh does sever and rot, enchained across cosmic infinity, so destined as we are to rejoin the vessel which bore our souls before the passage of Time so ceaselessly commenced.

By my faith and logic, you are I are one. The earth and ocean are homogenous in form yet bound by destiny - their ever-reaching influence changing the very shape of our world. They earth of soil and stone shall never be one with the oceans and rivers which trace paths across our world, yet soil change's rivers course while ocean breaks stone into sand forevermore. Though they shall never be one, their destinies are intertwined - undeniably necessary to the other's shape and breadth. We are like the soils of this world - malleable and so full of potential - shaped and pounded by the efforts of the insurmountable pressure of gods high above, an ocean of divine power which flows among us. One cannot live should the other die - we were born as one and  so shall we die as one. It is in our worship and respect of the divine that we lend them our power, a billion droplets of spiritual potential cast into vessels divine - just as they might in turn grace us with their own faith in Man's potential by the power of greater blessing.

The is so much to express and yet so few are the words my mind can bring to light - so limited in breadth are the languages of man, the flesh-born tongue unfit to communicate such profound reflections that cast light into a world beyond our own. We were not meant to bare the burden of such knowledge... But to live and die each day, our struggles bringing light to darkened corners of the endless void. I shall speak no more of the weight of the sacrament placed upon my shoulders when first I prayed to the divine - a burden all true priests of higher faith must bare with each breath and footstep - the weight of a thousand worlds resting squarely upon our shoulders. It is true that the politics of this world can shape that of the firmament - the conflagration of mortal conflict is often reflected by sky-clad gods as stars are born and die... An interchangeable game of tactics and strategic moves which hold at stake more than we could ever imagine... But worry not, my child. Do not be burdened by such prospects - that responsibility must be mine and mine alone, as my father before me.

Destiny... It is not set in stone as some believe. There are no blinded hags cutting and pulling the strings of Fate this way and that, ever-conscious of every action and reaction. Time is an error, a glitch in reality that none may truly comprehend. The gods themselves could not ascertain what might come of tomorrow, their gifts and visions only going so far. Neither God nor Man may conquer tomorrow while today yet stands - for the struggles of today shall irrevocably change tomorrow's battlefield forevermore. Life is a game of strategy - the lives and souls of Man and God ripe for the taking by beasts such as the Daimon filth of the Overlord. It is neither first nor the last ungodly monstrosity that shall plague our world - but as long as I draw breath, I shall swing my blessed blade in the name of Mankind - that our souls may find their way into the cosmic infinity to be joined with that of God once more. I shall never allow but a single immortal soul to feed the hell-forges of Daimonkind so long as I yet live and breathe upon this blessed world. I am no one - but a single mortal man in an ocean of glimmering souls awaiting release. I have seen darkness no man should witness, worse even that the writhing scarified mass of flesh that is the Daimon Overlord and his Apocalyptic brethren. I have peered into a darkness beyond darkness, and it has scarred me... But I bare these scars for all to see, I bare the truth within me, I bare it all to see with every word I utter, with every swing of my blade, with every skyward cry in the heat of battle! I shall live as I die, brothers-in-arms, I fight for the glory of Riombara and all of Mankind so long as my body and mind lie unbroken. And should my body grow weak and weary from ageless war, I shall retire to a place of silent tranquility where I may live out my final days as did my father - teaching the next generation of able warriors the importance of Man's survival, of the Gods' Plight, and our irrevocable relationship to the divine.

I give myself as Martyr, as Divine Son, as Mortal Vessel, as Knight of Riombara, as Paladin of Mankind - I give myself as humbled servant of all that we stand yet stand for. This is my plight. This is my story... Yet there is so much that yet remains unwritten and unspoken. So many battles left to conquer, so many victories to taste...

I can promise but two things: that I will serve ever-faithful as Paladin of Riombara and Guardian of Humanity... And that this is just the beginning. I cannot say what tomorrow brings for it is not my place to dictate the natural order of things. Though the gods may bless me with momentary glimpses, they are but paths which any man might take - every dissenting action warranting an equal and opposite reaction that shall shape the course of a thousand years ahead, from the stroke of a pen to the swing of a sword. The power of destiny lie within our very hands, my brothers... History is written by our own bloodied hands. Let history remember Riombara as bastion of Humanity, then - our efforts and sacrifices echoed through the annals of Time, the birth of countless legends which shall be told for generations to come. Let us be applauded and celebrated as the saviors of humanity rather than the ones who let it all come to naught...

This discourse began as a simple reply to you, Sir Gellaer, but higher purpose spurned me to make more of it. My mind aches with the burden of such thoughts... My body grown ever tired... I must rest now. I thank you, Sir Gellaer, for having brought such inquiries to my attention. I always find pleasure in those who's curiosity brings them to my doorstep... I promise though that next time I will be more curt in my response, lest I scare away my youth with wisdom far beyond my years.

This world is ours to conquer, brothers and sisters. Will you rise to the challenge? Will you fulfill your sacred duty and show Man and Daimonkind that Riombara shall not fall - shall never fall - as long as we draw breath from chest and sword from sheath? Let us show them all, then, mortal and beast, Man and Daimon, that Riombara shall remain alight as the Human world's final bastion - that from our walls and fields shall spread a light not seen for countless ages - that Mankind's Hope remains alive here within our hearts and minds.

Shine your light, brothers and sisters, that even the sacred stars high above might see us across the void's vast expanse.

I have faith in you.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: July 12, 2012, 02:19:26 AM »
O_O

HOLY SH*T. I just received my first ever medal - a Roleplaying Medal - for that post. :3

I shall die a happy man indeed if this Priest-Hero gets ironically slaughtered in this next battle. A happy man indeed.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: July 12, 2012, 02:39:15 AM »
Well, you pretty much left Gellaer with a dumb face, trying to decide if it was the longest explanation he had ever received or perhaps it deserved just the second position. Please do not think bad of him, but he is a former advy and as such I RP him being very short in many aspects. In any case, he looked at your explanation, tried to process it, had a system crash, looked at your explanation again and said: meh, whatever, I guess tomorrow I'll be a smarter man. Whoop to bed!
D'Espana Family

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: July 12, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »
BAHAHA!

I'm surprised I could even write that. My brain is fried and I forgot my keys, forgot to turn on my office's alarm then ran back in, locked myself in, forgot my address, and so on. I'm so bloody out of it that I don't know how the bloody !@#$ that RP made any sense. Its a bit fragmented to be honest, it jumps all over the place but oh well. At least it made a bit of sense <_<

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: July 12, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
I shall die a happy man indeed if this Priest-Hero gets ironically slaughtered in this next battle. A happy man indeed.
Priests never get involved in battle, so can never die in battle. The subclass is irrelevant.

In fact, the only way for a priest to die is to be executed. (Short of switching back to Warrior and going into battle again.)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: July 12, 2012, 02:53:24 AM »
He's not a Priest yet :-P Leading a full unit of Infantry for GLORY and HONOR!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: July 12, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »
Oh. Well, then good luck dying! :P