Author Topic: New Estate Buildings Ideas  (Read 17986 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: New Estate Buildings Ideas
« Reply #45: July 13, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
Knights = political power. If all you care about is gold, then sure, don't have knights. If, however, you want the attendant power and implicit political support, you need knights. And since you can get just as much gold with knights as you can without (if you set it up right), only the most greedy money-grubber who worships every last coin, and is completely blinded to the power advantages of having knights, will not have knights. Especially since gold to knights = more secure realm = more secure lordship = longer potential period of income.

This, I think, is highly overrated. With the sole exception of realms that have vote systems that allow lords to vote for their knights (meaning more knights equals more votes equals more power), most lords derive little to no power just by having knights. Maybe other people have had a different experience, but honestly I've never had much reason to cultivate close relations with my knights, and I don't expect them to back me. Not that their backing would mean much most of the time. Again, except for realms with voting systems knights are pretty powerless. What kind of backing can they really provide otherwise? A voice of support that no one is obligated to heed? Some back up when you're protesting? Pawns for your rebellion? Thing is, all of these things can be attained just as easily from nobles who are not your knights, and frankly if your knights are the only people you can count on, your protest/rebellion isn't going very far anyway.