Author Topic: New Estate Buildings Ideas  (Read 17957 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
New Estate Buildings Ideas
« Topic Start: June 22, 2012, 06:39:29 AM »
Title: New Estate Buildings Ideas

Summary: Tom requested a list of ideas.  Here are the ones I found or came up with.

Details:
Shrine - (Some religious benefit or purely RP)
Weapon smith - Improve the weapons of RCs
Armour smith - Improve the armour of RCs
Ale Maker/Brewer/Winery - Improve moral, increase population
Mason's guild - decrease damage rate on fortifications
Paper mill - Increase loyalty/literacy of a region, schools, universities.
Mine - increase ore production (gold/iron/etc)
Lumber mill - increase production of lumber
Grain Mill - (not sure, something to do with food)
Road Crew - increases road repair.
Hostel/inn - Room for rent for advies.
Bar/Tavern/whorehouse - Increase entertainment value for troops

Benefits: Some of the buildings would also bring an increase in income to the estate.  The new construction could cause an increase in imigrants to the region (caused by the increase labour demands.

Possible Exploits: I think technically each of the buildings is an exploit.

These are all the ones I found.  Please add if I missed or if there are other ideas.  Remove those that don't work.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: New Estate Buildings Ideas
« Reply #1: June 22, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »
Possible Exploits: I think technically each of the buildings is an exploit.

I think you misunderstand what "exploit" means. It doesn't mean "benefit". :-)

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: June 22, 2012, 09:32:45 AM »
I like these ideas. I think it gives the game more customization. At the moment, everything is fixed as it is. But if this gets added it will make each region somewhat unique.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #3: June 22, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
Shrine - (Some religious benefit or purely RP)
Chapel, rather than shrine.  Shrines already exist after all, and it is common for nobles to have chapels to their faith along with their manor.

Would love to see more options in general for religious characters (monasteries, etc).  Yet as always, requires specific thought on the matter.  Especially knowing how any of these things will end up truly working!

Will certainly prove interesting should a new landlord decide to close a chapel/rededicate it to some other faith...

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 22, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
There should surely be downsides we have to take into account as well, right? Otherwise I think we'll all start stacking estate buildings like there is no tomorrow. If we use the Road Crew for an example, there ought to be a cost to better maintenance in that perhaps occasionally the work crews have to draft in extra peasants with a consequence on production/estate efficiency. Or maybe an estate will experience higher emigration as the peasantry look to dodge being drafted into manual labour.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: June 22, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
There should surely be downsides we have to take into account as well, right?

Besides time and money for construction and maintainance like all other buildings? I don't see the need for more downsides.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 22, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Besides time and money for construction and maintainance like all other buildings? I don't see the need for more downsides.

Mostly, I think it should be made such that a choice is necessary, and building everything is a losing proposition; otherwise most people will actually build everything, and the only thing achieved will be to create a new gold and time sink when you take a new region before it is productive again.

If the price for building climbs exponentially to extortionate prices, this should do the trick.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #7: June 22, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
Why not just limit number of buildings by estate age or something?  You would have to choose which to build then.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 22, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
Why not just limit number of buildings by estate age or something?  You would have to choose which to build then.

That works too!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 22, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Wouldn't it also make sense to tie the available buildings to the region types? I don't think a mountain region would benefit from a grain mill, for instance.

Will these additions be permanent? I figure that, in the case of a peasant uprising/looting, things should get destroyed (not always, a certain chance).

Lastly, I think regions should be able to work towards two different ends: economy or military. Eg. a more military oriented rural on the border can invest in road management, something to do with scouts and lessened equipment damage (just spitballing), whereas unexposed strongholds could focus on improving their poor production capacities. If not I fear most regions will have some 'optimal', objective building set they can achieve, whereas a dual system would provide subjective choices of management, a deeper layer of strategic developement, ... This wouldn't have to mean a lot is changed to the feature request, just that both military and economic buildings are available for all regions (so far it's only armour/weapons improvements and road crews for the former)

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 22, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
What if having a building in estate required a certain amount of peasants to function with top efficiency? So some are taken away from actual gold production, or food production or whatever, and the more buildings you have, the less efficient each of them is.

So the estate size would matter in this too.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #11: June 22, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
Estate limitations and efficiencies should be fair for both city knights and rural knights.  We have enough benefits for city estates already, less discrimination. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 22, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »
I imagine some buildings adding to revenue and others requiring gold to function. 
As to limiting the buildings, perhaps each would become less effective as new ones are added.  So if you want to build all of them, then they all would be minimaly effective.  I would say they should start to decrease after a number greater than one, three maybe?  Perhaps it should also be dependent on estate age, or something else.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 22, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
Can you add something like barracks. They would be used to stall the knights current unit (upto a size), and later let the unit less knight to again take control of them. It would be really helpful to those who are wanting to lead a particular type of unit, say SF, but don't want to abandon his/her current unit. As for payment issues, like militia are paid from region income, the stalled unit is paid from the knights income.

Possible Exploits: What if the knight's income is less than unit payment? And what will happen if the knight leaves his estate (or kicked out) with his unit still kept in barracks?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:15:45 PM by Cren »
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 22, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
I've long thought that it would be good to have a barracks that houses the men when the lord is there, and eliminates the normal wear & tear over time.