Author Topic: New Estate Buildings Ideas  (Read 17964 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: New Estate Buildings Ideas
« Reply #15: June 22, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »
I would actually like to see all buildings moved to estates.  Some of them, like tournament grounds, would only be allowed on a lord's estate, or perhaps only a Duke's estate.  The whole region is already split up into estates, so all buildings need to be somewhere.  Giving the lord the option of choosing what buildings are in which estate would be neat.  Allowing the lord to gift buildings to knights, as well as take buildings away.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 22, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
The problem with a "barracks" to "store" a unit is that it allows a realm to prepare a massive double-hit during war time. A realm could all recruit to max, store the units on their estate, then recruit another for an attack. After the attack they just pick up the stored unit and hit again. You get a massive double punch, a huge advantage over any realm that did not have one of their own ready.

Wasn't something like this possible many, many years ago with militia? Maybe someone who played 7-8 years ago can remember better...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #17: June 23, 2012, 03:21:52 AM »
The problem with a "barracks" to "store" a unit is that it allows a realm to prepare a massive double-hit during war time. A realm could all recruit to max, store the units on their estate, then recruit another for an attack. After the attack they just pick up the stored unit and hit again. You get a massive double punch, a huge advantage over any realm that did not have one of their own ready.

Wasn't something like this possible many, many years ago with militia? Maybe someone who played 7-8 years ago can remember better...

I'm pretty sure that you can still do this, with the General assigning militia. It may cost an hour per militia assignment, however. not sure. Also not sure if they did away with this.

(you know...I have two generals...I'll check the next time I find some militia)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 23, 2012, 03:29:25 AM »
Assigning militia is supremely unreliable, for exactly this reason.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 23, 2012, 03:33:18 AM »
There are a lot of restrictions on assigning militia. Including time limits on multiple asignments in the same region. Assignment is more of a convenience for special units, rather than a rapid re-equipping of an army.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 23, 2012, 04:16:43 AM »
As for storing units, I would be more interested in being able to store recruits from RCs from the region.  You could then have priority in getting those recruits.  The units would not have been recruited, they would just be reserved for that person.
Another idea would be that a barracks decreases/eliminates militia desertion.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 23, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
As for storing units, I would be more interested in being able to store recruits from RCs from the region.  You could then have priority in getting those recruits.  The units would not have been recruited, they would just be reserved for that person.

That's...way too open to exploitation. Want to screw your own realm over? Just reserve a ton of the best infantry during wartime and never use it. Not to mention rich dukes preventing anyone else from hiring SF, for example.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 23, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
That is easy to restrict.  Restrict the rate at which you can reserve; only one man per day, if there are more than two. 
Restrict the number of men that can be stored; 1/5 of the RC capacity.   

mykavykos

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 24, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »
I dislike all the thing about storing people.
Barracks must do something else, like preventing militia from desert, as was already said here. Also this is something that only a city/stronghold will have.

About limitations, if you give a small bonus to each building, only those regions with a lot of that kind o building will have significant bonuses.

I think that this will encourage people to have more knights, since you will need many estates to have many buildings in your region. The efficiency of the estate must also influence the building bonus. Ex: I have a Grain Mill hat give a bonus of 10%, in a estate with 80% efficiency, my final bonus will be 8% only. So, more knights better results. This also may make interesting to the realm don't have tons of knights in cities while only 1 knight in rural regions.

Also if you have a rural region completely focused in food production, or whatever good it produces, that region may also have a bigger income through trade.  And this will give opportunities to realms trade between themselves. Since, at least in EC, there are not so much food.

As said by someone in the above posts, this will make regions unique. Will give personality and endless possibilities of RP. 
I really wait for the day this will happens.

Zakilevo

« Reply #24: June 24, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »
Why not give each estate 3-5 slots depending on the size of the region and allow them to build same buildings? Make the bonuses of each buildings not very significant.

Maybe each time you build courtier's office or something, you will improve the estate efficiency by 5-10%? Make it simple and help knights with estate as large as 50% improve their efficiency.

I also dislike storing units. We can already do something similar with our militia units.

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 24, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
Why not give each estate 3-5 slots depending on the size of the region and allow them to build same buildings? Make the bonuses of each buildings not very significant.

Maybe each time you build courtier's office or something, you will improve the estate efficiency by 5-10%? Make it simple and help knights with estate as large as 50% improve their efficiency.

I also dislike storing units. We can already do something similar with our militia units.

agreed,

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: June 24, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »

I'd rather you give each estate only one slot and make the building really significant. That way you really need to think about what to build, and this will create diversity in regions.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 24, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Two slots is better. It allows for more variety while actually making the decision making more difficult. But overall I agree that there should perhaps not be all that many building slots.

Or have different tiers for estate buildings. You could have one building of the first tier, which would be the main focus of the estate. Of the second tier you could have more.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: June 24, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »
The efficiency of the estate must also influence the building bonus. Ex: I have a Grain Mill hat give a bonus of 10%, in a estate with 80% efficiency, my final bonus will be 8% only. So, more knights better results. This also may make interesting to the realm don't have tons of knights in cities while only 1 knight in rural regions.
I really like this.

I don't like restricting the number of buildings so much, not down to one or two.  I would prefer their efficiency drop.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #29: June 24, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
I really find that this is all adding huge complexities for little gain.