Author Topic: New Estate Buildings Ideas  (Read 18115 times)

mykavykos

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New Estate Buildings Ideas
« Reply #45: June 26, 2012, 07:08:50 AM »
I like the idea of large buildings and small buildings.

Lords could be limited to X Large Buildings in his estate (paper mill, grain mill, Mine, lumber mill, or wathever gives bonus to the region as a whole) and the knights would be able to build small buildings in their estates (hostels, taverns, shrines, or any other ideas that could give more gold our other benefits to the knight) and one large building.

If the lord want have more large buildings he will need more knights, and he will not kick a knight for no reason, since he needs the building there.

With the small building the knight will be able to have a small additional income, or other benefit that he will chose. This will personalize the character estate and give something to do when you are a knight. I saw something in the realm about Statues. Maybe it could fall in an "artisan" small building. Then if you want a statue you will need request this service from a knight who have it, or have one in your own estate.

I like the idea of things that only who have a kind of building/resource may produce. To me this provide interaction, and interaction is good.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 02, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »
How about every RC is associated with an estate. Also, you could have only one RC in any estate. Every region (with a lord) could have at least one, but if you want to keep all those fancy centers online, you need to have a vassal looking after them.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 03, 2012, 01:07:22 AM »
How about every RC is associated with an estate. Also, you could have only one RC in any estate. Every region (with a lord) could have at least one, but if you want to keep all those fancy centers online, you need to have a vassal looking after them.
I think its a bad idea for several reasons. First, the lord pays for it so why would the knight get control over it. Second its not realistic and it doesn't add fun/make something better to counter the unrealism. I see no way this will make it anymore fun or better in anyway.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 11, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »
I think its a bad idea for several reasons. First, the lord pays for it so why would the knight get control over it.
Why does the lord need to pay for it?  If it is in the estate the knight would be able to build them. 
Second its not realistic and it doesn't add fun/make something better to counter the unrealism. I see no way this will make it anymore fun or better in anyway.
As for realism, the RC needs to draw people from somewhere, all peasants are in one estate or anther, so why should it not be from a specific estate?  To make the game more realistic, ALL buildings should be in estates.  If the whole populations split up into estates then it follows that everything else should be as well. 
As for fun, that depends on the controls that the knight would get.  Allowing them to draft, adjust recruitment levels, set the price(?), etc. would make things very interesting for those who like that type of game.  It also would involve a huge change in the mechanics of the game.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 11, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
How about the blacksmiths being added to estates?  Each estate could build one, and be able to repair a certain % of the damage.  The lord's would be doubly effective.  Let's say, each estate adds 20%, 40% for a lord.  Rural regions with one knight would be able to repair to 40%.  And cities would need three knights to repair completely.  It also means that if it is a priority, a rural border region could be assigned multiple estates so that troops do not need to travel to the cities to repair. 
Concerns:
Rural lord creates multiple vacant estates to increase efficiency of the smithies. 
Have blacksmiths shut down (or my preference work at ~1/5 capacity) if the estate is vacant.  Rural regions can still have blacksmiths, but they will be much less efficient unless the realm decides to invest there.
Armies will be able to refit at their borders.
Only if they do not need gold.  Banks are still in the cities.
The numbers could obviously change depending on how hard/easy we want it to be to fix 100%.  Three knights are needed according to my numbers.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 12, 2012, 03:48:24 AM »
There should be some purely selfish options. Some things that are bonuses for the knight, and do nothing for the region. We have also thought about options that could be detrimental to the region, as well. Knights of poor or unpopular lords could band together and build bandit hideouts or something to drop control and steal taxes.

Perhaps 1-2 "secrete slots" that only the Knight could see? You could have a few options to build there such as buildings that would be selfish options only, but also a building that would help the region/realm, or perhaps buildings related to your guild/secrete society/religion.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Zakilevo

« Reply #51: July 12, 2012, 03:57:53 AM »
Why does the lord need to pay for it?  If it is in the estate the knight would be able to build them.  As for realism, the RC needs to draw people from somewhere, all peasants are in one estate or anther, so why should it not be from a specific estate?  To make the game more realistic, ALL buildings should be in estates.  If the whole populations split up into estates then it follows that everything else should be as well. 
As for fun, that depends on the controls that the knight would get.  Allowing them to draft, adjust recruitment levels, set the price(?), etc. would make things very interesting for those who like that type of game.  It also would involve a huge change in the mechanics of the game.

Making the game more realistic is what got us into the mess in the first place. I don't think anyone wants to go back to that realism crap.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 13, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
Knights = political power. If all you care about is gold, then sure, don't have knights. If, however, you want the attendant power and implicit political support, you need knights. And since you can get just as much gold with knights as you can without (if you set it up right), only the most greedy money-grubber who worships every last coin, and is completely blinded to the power advantages of having knights, will not have knights. Especially since gold to knights = more secure realm = more secure lordship = longer potential period of income.

This, I think, is highly overrated. With the sole exception of realms that have vote systems that allow lords to vote for their knights (meaning more knights equals more votes equals more power), most lords derive little to no power just by having knights. Maybe other people have had a different experience, but honestly I've never had much reason to cultivate close relations with my knights, and I don't expect them to back me. Not that their backing would mean much most of the time. Again, except for realms with voting systems knights are pretty powerless. What kind of backing can they really provide otherwise? A voice of support that no one is obligated to heed? Some back up when you're protesting? Pawns for your rebellion? Thing is, all of these things can be attained just as easily from nobles who are not your knights, and frankly if your knights are the only people you can count on, your protest/rebellion isn't going very far anyway.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 13, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
Statues! Do not forget the statues! How will my ego-flattered noble survive without them?
D'Espana Family

Zakilevo

« Reply #54: July 13, 2012, 06:48:44 PM »
This, I think, is highly overrated. With the sole exception of realms that have vote systems that allow lords to vote for their knights (meaning more knights equals more votes equals more power), most lords derive little to no power just by having knights. Maybe other people have had a different experience, but honestly I've never had much reason to cultivate close relations with my knights, and I don't expect them to back me. Not that their backing would mean much most of the time. Again, except for realms with voting systems knights are pretty powerless. What kind of backing can they really provide otherwise? A voice of support that no one is obligated to heed? Some back up when you're protesting? Pawns for your rebellion? Thing is, all of these things can be attained just as easily from nobles who are not your knights, and frankly if your knights are the only people you can count on, your protest/rebellion isn't going very far anyway.

Kihalin was under Sergio for a long time and they became friends. They supported each other, even when they both ran for the position of Vasilif. Kihalin voted for Sergio in the election even. I think having a loyal knight you can count on really helps if you can put him in a position of power.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #55: July 14, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »
Statues! Do not forget the statues! How will my ego-flattered noble survive without them?

Don't worry, if it's ego stroking, no one will forget it. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 14, 2012, 06:55:46 AM »
I think that there should be only two discrete slots for buildings per estate, one to aid production and one for administration. So production buildings can be built in the production slot and vice versa. Ah, for RP and fun purposes there can be some miscellaneous buildings which can be built in any slot.

That would compel lords to create more (effective) estates and to maintain good relationship with his knights.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.