Author Topic: Specialty titles for lower level nobles  (Read 16471 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Specialty titles for lower level nobles
« Topic Start: June 24, 2012, 07:22:54 AM »
Right now the realm council is fully customizable. It might be fun to make some other customizable titles.

For example, maybe there could be an option to establish a nickname that goes with a lordship in a certain region.

The lord of Mount Golfimble, could have "warden of the north pass" as a part of their title.

This could also work for marshals.

Or maybe stewards could get special titles, Keymaster of X region might be more impressive then just steward.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: Specialty titles for lower level nobles
« Reply #1: June 24, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
I'd be content with special titles like what Crusader Kings 2 offers (cupbearer, senechal, etc).

Though being able to choose titles for our lords/dukes would be ideal as well, with some customizations. 

mykavykos

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 24, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »
I think that this could be fun.

The Lord could be able to give a title to his knights and the ruler to a character. This title would be carried with the signature.
this is simply roleplay, there will be no mechanical effects. But it will be funny to have a member receiving the title of "Sirion's Champion" and them losing the title to another character after a series of tournaments.

Unfortunately I see that mechanical things are more followed that pure RP things. So, if there are a mechanical way to give someone a title them, probably, there will be more people "fighting" for that title and, consecutively, more fun in the game.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: June 24, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »
Pretty sure someone suggested this idea before and was not approved.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: June 24, 2012, 09:46:41 AM »
Variations of this have been proposed of the years many times.

Yes, custom titles are fun. But too many of them and there is pure chaos and nobody knows what a title means anymore. Do you know to which of the four council positions the titles "Diadochi" or "Boetarch" refer? Now imagine that for every title in the game.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: June 24, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
Tom, what if we make a supplied list of "honorary" titles (cupbearer, master of the hunt, etc), and let rulers choose X amount for their realm?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 24, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
Tom, what if we make a supplied list of "honorary" titles (cupbearer, master of the hunt, etc), and let rulers choose X amount for their realm?

Not sure if we need to copy directly from CK2. 100% vanity titles are a bit superfluous, though I guess that's the point. What about advisory positions? Or alternate feudal rankings IE Ealdorman for earls or other such variants.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: June 24, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
Ideally, I'd love to see us able to choose the structure we want (similar to the simple, complex, etc we have now) but allow us to choose from a selection of titles for each tier.  For example, I like the Complex system, but I would MUCH rather have Counts instead of Earls.

An option for religious titles would be excellent as well, so when a priest is a lord they get their own title.  Just doesn't feel appropriate to calling a priest who is a Lord "Baron" or "Viscount" when "Prince-Bishop" is probably more accurate.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 25, 2012, 03:50:28 AM »
East Continent Doughnut anyone? I remember they have donut dueling contests to see who take the gold doughnut :P

+1 if this applies to Duleing Champion or just plain RolePlay purpose 8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 26, 2012, 01:57:56 AM »
Variations of this have been proposed of the years many times.

Yes, custom titles are fun. But too many of them and there is pure chaos and nobody knows what a title means anymore. Do you know to which of the four council positions the titles "Diadochi" or "Boetarch" refer? Now imagine that for every title in the game.

Custom government titles are great and I would not wish to see them removed.

But there's a limit to how much we should have to learn. Custom lordship titles would indeed be too much in my opinion as well.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 26, 2012, 02:15:28 AM »
I agree with Chenier. Too much customization would be too confusing, especially if you start mixing in religious and guild titles, let alone superfluous non-position related titles as well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 26, 2012, 02:53:09 AM »
I agree with Chenier. Too much customization would be too confusing, especially if you start mixing in religious and guild titles, let alone superfluous non-position related titles as well.

It also makes for very long titles.

Guillaume Chénier, Hetman and Ataman of Imperskoe iz Fheuv'na, Ambassador of Imperskoe iz Fheuv'na, Senator of Iato, Duke of Iato, Priest of The Way. Now imagine replacing "Senator" with "Holy Representative" and "duke" with "Chancellor" or something to that effect. Oh, did I forget "Sponsor of the Iat'r Cossacks" too?

A long title wasn't even my intention...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 26, 2012, 03:03:13 AM »
It also makes for very long titles.

Guillaume Chénier, Hetman and Ataman of Imperskoe iz Fheuv'na, Ambassador of Imperskoe iz Fheuv'na, Senator of Iato, Duke of Iato, Priest of The Way. Now imagine replacing "Senator" with "Holy Representative" and "duke" with "Chancellor" or something to that effect. Oh, did I forget "Sponsor of the Iat'r Cossacks" too?

A long title wasn't even my intention...

Half of the letters in there are just "Imperskoe iz Fheuv'na", though. :P

I wouldn't mind title swaps for priest characters only though, like Count --> Bishop, Margrave --> Prince-Bishop, Duke --> Archbishop
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 26, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »
I wouldn't mind title swaps for priest characters only though, like Count --> Bishop, Margrave --> Prince-Bishop, Duke --> Archbishop
My character's religion doesn't have bishops, princes, or archbishops. So why would my character have that title?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 26, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »
doesn't make sense to have those titles if there is no king equivalent.
firefox