Author Topic: Specialty titles for lower level nobles  (Read 16473 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Specialty titles for lower level nobles
« Reply #15: June 26, 2012, 07:16:22 AM »

I wouldn't mind title swaps for priest characters only though, like Count --> Bishop, Margrave --> Prince-Bishop, Duke --> Archbishop
It would be hard to come up with good titles but I must say I agree it feels weird calling priests a Count, I don't know why it does so much, but it does. Even in a roleplay I saw recently, when he was in conversation he said, ""Lord, erm, Eminence Constantine," Rynn fumbled, not quite knowing how to address the man"
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 26, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
doesn't make sense to have those titles if there is no king equivalent.

King title is already customizable, but I see Indirik's point.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 26, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
My character's religion doesn't have bishops, princes, or archbishops. So why would my character have that title?

Make them have prince-archbishop or whatever in a theocracy, then?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 26, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
um... a king who happens to be a priest does not equate to the pope.
especially if the pope is in another realm and not even a king..

the game doesn't do bishoporics and whatnot well.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 26, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
Slapsticks: my point was that the religion my character is in, of which there are 5 theocracies, does not use those titles at all. There are no bishops, arch-bishops, princes, etc. Why would we want them used for our priests?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: June 26, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »
Half of the letters in there are just "Imperskoe iz Fheuv'na", though. :P

Quite true.

That name was twice as long as he second-longest name on BT. But to be fair, names that long are not that rare at all in other places.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: June 26, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
my point was that the religion my character is in, of which there are 5 theocracies

If they can't use those titles, how are they supposed to do so?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: June 26, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
If they can't use those titles, how are they supposed to do so?
... I don't think we're connecting on this one. I have no idea what you're trying to say with this.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: June 26, 2012, 11:08:19 PM »
How about something simple, like displaying a knight's estate name as part of their title now that estates can have names:

Elias Geronus, Knight of Lowtown, Ozrat

That can make for a bit more spice in the titles of your Knights.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: June 26, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
How about something simple, like displaying a knight's estate name as part of their title now that estates can have names:

Elias Geronus, Knight of Lowtown, Ozrat

That can make for a bit more spice in the titles of your Knights.

I like the idea, but not in the signature - it makes for very long titles. But the estate names should be more visible, I agree.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 26, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »
I like the idea, but not in the signature - it makes for very long titles. But the estate names should be more visible, I agree.
The long title shouldn't be an issue because he was speaking about adding it to Knights titles only. In a few cases, where they are marshal, ambassador, and/or realm council member it will be long, but in many cases those who have those positions also are lords and this addition of the estate is for knights only, could even be knights who hold no other position so you don't need to worry about the long signature.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #26: June 27, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »
... I don't think we're connecting on this one. I have no idea what you're trying to say with this.

He wasn't saying it had to be Bishops and the like. For example, the SA equivalent would be Light or Luminary.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: June 27, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »

Sorry. What I meant to say is; if current game mechanics prevent them from using "prince-archbishop" as a title, can you really say that the fact that they aren't using the "prince-archbishop title" is evidence to the fact that it shouldn't be implemented?

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #28: June 27, 2012, 01:07:10 AM »
He wasn't saying it had to be Bishops and the like. For example, the SA equivalent would be Light or Luminary.
And the CoH would use High Clerics and Revered Clerics with our ranking system.  But you know what?  I'd take the Prince-Archbishop/Prince-Bishop as a feudal title if that's all the game presented and just chalk it up to being the titles used by non-Faithful.  In the Church, I'd encourage people to use OUR titles and forms of address.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: June 27, 2012, 01:21:38 AM »
O and in a theocracy of SA I know one position is called  prince of the maddening star so it can't be said that SA doesn't use the title prince.
― G.K. Chesterton