Author Topic: Specialty titles for lower level nobles  (Read 16470 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Specialty titles for lower level nobles
« Reply #30: June 27, 2012, 01:34:42 AM »
Game mechanics is not what is preventing us from using titles like Bishop in our religion. We used to have them. I worked hard to get them wiped out. I wanted to completely break free from that terminology to something we made up ourselves. I would not want the game to force that back on me. I simply don't want our priests to be Bishops or whatever it would be. Our priests are Invocators, and that's that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: June 27, 2012, 01:36:01 AM »
The long title shouldn't be an issue because he was speaking about adding it to Knights titles only. In a few cases, where they are marshal, ambassador, and/or realm council member it will be long, but in many cases those who have those positions also are lords and this addition of the estate is for knights only, could even be knights who hold no other position so you don't need to worry about the long signature.

That is incorrect. All of my lords have estates in their own regions. Estates that can be renamed, I believe.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: June 27, 2012, 01:37:04 AM »
@penchant: there is no such title. The word Prince is never used in our rank titles.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #33: June 27, 2012, 01:38:18 AM »
Game mechanics is not what is preventing us from using titles like Bishop in our religion. We used to have them. I worked hard to get them wiped out. I wanted to completely break free from that terminology to something we made up ourselves. I would not want the game to force that back on me. I simply don't want our priests to be Bishops or whatever it would be. Our priests are Invocators, and that's that.

You're misunderstanding again...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: June 27, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »
@penchant: there is no such title. The word Prince is never used in our rank titles.
I said in a theocracy not in the church ranks, in which Brom is the Prince of the Maddening because Prince is their title for duke and his duchy is the Maddening thus he is Prince of the Maddening. You can check his signature to know. Also will the regent be voicing his opinionon the the other religion and on the whole crusade idea?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: June 27, 2012, 01:44:46 AM »
Well, then we're probably both not understanding each other. Oh well. I'll just let it go.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 27, 2012, 01:48:33 AM »
That is a Kabrinskian title, not an SA title. So yes, I can say that the word Prince is never used in SA rank titles. It is a *very* important distinction.

As for the new religion, yes, Brance will have something to say. Probably something along the lines of "Burn the heretical human sacrificers!"

Or something...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: June 27, 2012, 01:49:11 AM »
That is incorrect. All of my lords have estates in their own regions. Estates that can be renamed, I believe.
Yes but the point of this is to spice up knights signature, I understand they have estates but if it can be coded that those that are knights with no other other title then it will include their estate name. As in Kepler, Knight (of Estate, Keplerville)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: June 27, 2012, 01:55:08 AM »
That is a Kabrinskian title, not an SA title. So yes, I can say that the word Prince is never used in SA rank titles. It is a *very* important distinction.
That is quite true but the religious title that is wanted is something different for priests who are lords, no one is saying they need to change their religion rank names but people are saying it feels weird calling a priest a baron, count, etc and thus want to come up with a new title for them. It feels weird to call priest/heros, heros and so the religious title of Martyr is used. Within a religion a priest/hero can have whatever title they desire but priest/heros are called martyr outside of it which is similar to what is wanted but with the lord/baron/count/etc titles.
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 27, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »

For clarity: "Prince of the Maddening Star" is not a Ducal title but Brom's title as Judge of the realm.

As far as the discussion goes, while I can see where it may be wanted for unique titles such as my character's I don't agree with making a lot of custom titles available.

What i would agree with is have ONE and ONLY ONE custom honorary title available for a ruler to customize and hand out/change as he chooses. It could be revoked at any time for any reason with no H/P losses or consequences from the ruler or recipient. It also cannot be refused.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: June 27, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

What i would agree with is have ONE and ONLY ONE custom honorary title available for a ruler to customize and hand out/change as he chooses. It could be revoked at any time for any reason with no H/P losses or consequences from the ruler or recipient. It also cannot be refused.

+1
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #41: June 28, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »

Basically: Good idea, but - we already have something on the TODO list that would essentially provide this option automatically.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 28, 2012, 04:56:53 AM »
Basically: Good idea, but - we already have something on the TODO list that would essentially provide this option automatically.
I am quite interested in this, if you will I would quite appreciate hearing more about this and I am sure others would too.
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #43: June 28, 2012, 08:59:55 AM »
I am quite interested in this, if you will I would quite appreciate hearing more about this and I am sure others would too.

I figure. But we don't like to talk about planned features until implementation has at least begun. Because many, many are never actually done, or replaced but better ideas before it happens.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: June 28, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »
I like the idea, but not in the signature - it makes for very long titles. But the estate names should be more visible, I agree.

I was suggesting that this only be implemented for Knights to add a little extra spice to their titles. Plus, since they are customizable by the region lord, there's opportunity to get creative.

Out of curiosity, if not the in the signature then where were you thinking? There are precious few places where titles are displayed other than there. Half the spice would be seeing "Knight of Lowtown" right in your signature. Either way, I would like to see estate names be more prominent in the game. It was a good idea to allow lords to name them. Let them show off their creativity a bit.

As mentioned, I only meant for this to apply to Knights. For Lords and Dukes only the regional/duchy titles would continue to display just like they do now.