Author Topic: A new continent?  (Read 26614 times)

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile
A new continent?
« Topic Start: June 27, 2012, 05:14:44 AM »
While we have regular continents that offer 2 turns per day, and the Colonies that offer 1 turn per day.

What if we had a continent not for the faint of virtual heart that offered 4 turns a day, i.e. 1 turn per six hours where everything would speed up and while it goes against the dogma if requiring only 15 minutes a day to play it would be a continent for the "more active" players. it would also be a place where it would be common to see battles involving the same characters occur up to 4 times a day and for people to be on their toes to succeed, since things can change so quickly.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:27:37 AM by House Talratheon »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: A new continent?
« Reply #1: June 27, 2012, 05:32:54 AM »
I dislike the idea of even a continent with 3 turns a day because either you don't ever sleep or you are expecting for it to not require much involvement with the entire realm because with 4 turns a day you could never sleep for 6 hours a day if you were to be on every turn.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 27, 2012, 05:33:50 AM »
It would be interesting. Probably a pretty different feel to the entire game.

Maybe if you could somehow bring us another 1500-2000 players, we could even think about it...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 27, 2012, 05:37:16 AM »
...with 4 turns a day you could never sleep for 6 hours a day if you were to be on every turn.

Mrh? If the turns were 00/06/12/18, you could do a turn at 00:30, sleep until 11:30, then do the 06 and 12 turns in an hour, go back to sleep until 23:30, do two more turns in an hour, etc.... You could sleep 22 hours a day, and two turns in each of your waking two waking hours.

It would be hell for Marshals. :P You would definitely have to have a pretty large military committee to handle orders.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 27, 2012, 05:40:16 AM »
Mrh? If the turns were 00/06/12/18, you could do a turn at 00:30, sleep until 11:30, then do the 06 and 12 turns in an hour, go back to sleep until 23:30, do two more turns in an hour, etc.... You could sleep 22 hours a day, and two turns in each of your waking two waking hours.

It would be hell for Marshals. :P You would definitely have to have a pretty large military committee to handle orders.
Ah, yes that is true, I am used to being on at the end of a turn and the beginning which is why I was thinking what I said but you are completely right.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 27, 2012, 07:40:57 AM »
There are many ideas for new continents/islands: full mortality, not serious, clans allowed, fantasy, and so on. Maybe we could add them to the wish list wiki page.
That said, none will be opened in the near future for the devs have their hands full at the moment, if not by several other reasons.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: June 27, 2012, 09:03:09 AM »
Find me 1000 additional players and we can talk about this.

Until then, any and all ideas including "new continent" will be flat out rejected, no matter what the idea is.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 27, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »
The only issue I have with this is that it would advantage defense considerably over offense.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #8: June 27, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »

Until then, any and all ideas including "new continent" will be flat out rejected, no matter what the idea is.

What if we changed an existing continent to a 4 turn/day system?

Would this require increases in the game's infrastructure to support?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 27, 2012, 07:59:34 PM »
Sorry, won't happen.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: June 27, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »

Pretty sure it was 500 before when someone asked for another continent ;)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 27, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
maybe we lost 500 since? XD
firefox

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 11, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
I'd love this. Most of the 15 people I recruited all quit because they felt the turns were too slow. :|

Most strategy war games I've played have turns every hour on the hour, while others have between 3-6 turns a day. This is by far the slowest strategy-war game I've ever played, individual turns baring a much higher load of responsibility and stopping power than most.

I'd be quite interested in a faster continent, even if its experimentally tiny in order to reduce server load. An experimental continent just to see if the idea picks up. I know my friends at least would be interested in it. Once I get my website back up I could muster up an additional 50-100 players in the coming months. Then again it doesn't depend on me - it depends on the community's will to play and even more-so on Tom's ability to support an extra server in all the manners such an addition would entail. Server load, attention, coding, so on and so forth.

That reminds me, I just dumped $150 on LOTRO, I might as well donate to BM again. This community is awesome and absolutely makes me love this game - despite certain pissy characters. :-P Its alright though, the RP wouldn't be the same without Crazy queens, mad-kings, overzealous priests, anti-religious crusaders, and all manner of insanity so becoming of Dwilight. <3
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: July 11, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »
Uh... BM is not Utopia or other resource gathering games. This is more of a RPG game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: July 11, 2012, 06:19:26 PM »
The slow pace is fully intentional.

I do, however, have a BM-like side-project that is not currently going anywhere, but would be a try at a slightly faster pace without making it another turn-junkie game. ETA: Unknown. It's a zero-budget game, so everything that brings me money comes first.