Author Topic: Reputation?  (Read 26603 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Re: Reputation?
« Reply #30: April 10, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
It probably just means that some petty fool clicked it when you disagreed with them, knowing that you can't see who gives you reputation.

QFT.

That's probably a good thing too. Though it might be better if karma actions could only be performed once on each member. For example, if I applaud/dispraise member A, then I cannot alter member A's reputation after that. Otherwise, maybe some guy would keep spamming the applaud/dispraise until at least one person here has +a zillion or -a zillion.

Rather require the person who gives the rep to write a comment. Right now they are thrown around like candy* on halloween, often for no good reason. So justifying the rep would make people consider what it was that irritated them, and require more thought than just a simple click. And allow the person that gets the rep to see for which posts they got the rep. Otherwise the rep is pointless.

As for rep being an indication...I disagree (as per my reasoning in my prior paragraph*).

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #31: April 10, 2011, 11:55:37 PM »
Providing identities of those who provided reputations can lead to two likely outcomes.

One is that reputations would be less used because there is significantly less willingness to act in an uninhibited manner when one's identity can be determined. In this case, the current "anonymity" of giving reputation points means people have nothing preventing them from acting on their whims, grudges, etc. This goes for both + and -, as both would likely be reduced if users can be identified in regards to which reputation points they give to which player.

The second outcome is the development of player conflicts that arise when the dispraise button gets used too much on the wrong user. Some users might be more sensitive than others about reputation, and may seek to get personal with whoever gave them negative reputation.

Both cases are undesirable. While the current system is imperfect, the alternative of revealing identities of those who applaud and dispraise have potentially worse consequences.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 11, 2011, 12:59:22 AM »
An idea would be to applaud or dispraise certain posts, a bit like you do on /.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 11, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »
Unless someone is willing to right an custom extension for reputation behaviour, I recommend we look at what some of the existing extensions do in this regard.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Cadfan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 11, 2011, 04:26:32 AM »
It is interesting to watch certain peoples negative rep increase when ever certain other people log in. Since our forums don't generally have that many people online at anyone time, it is pretty easy to work out which players are being childish with their little feuds.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 11, 2011, 04:34:17 AM »
I tend to only rep people if they have negative, offensive posts or they have good ideas and interesting points or facts that they bring to the discussion. But many people's rep are just messed up due to spammed rep.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Cadfan

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 11, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »
I tend to only rep people if they have negative, offensive posts or they have good ideas and interesting points or facts that they bring to the discussion. But many people's rep are just messed up due to spammed rep.

Exactly, you use rep for the purpose it was designed for. Others seem to just hit neg rep every hour cause somebody dared to disagree with them or said something mildly offensive at one time. Gloria's idea to restrict rep to post would fix this. That way at least you would have to go to the effort of finding new posts by the player if you wanted to continue your feud.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 11, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
Providing identities of those who provided reputations can lead to two likely outcomes.

One is that reputations would be less used because there is significantly less willingness to act in an uninhibited manner when one's identity can be determined. In this case, the current "anonymity" of giving reputation points means people have nothing preventing them from acting on their whims, grudges, etc. This goes for both + and -, as both would likely be reduced if users can be identified in regards to which reputation points they give to which player.

The second outcome is the development of player conflicts that arise when the dispraise button gets used too much on the wrong user. Some users might be more sensitive than others about reputation, and may seek to get personal with whoever gave them negative reputation.

Both cases are undesirable. While the current system is imperfect, the alternative of revealing identities of those who applaud and dispraise have potentially worse consequences.

Ok sure, but so far the above has not been suggested, and I don't think it will be.

QFT

An idea would be to applaud or dispraise certain posts, a bit like you do on /.

Somewhat what I was suggesting. It's rather amusing, but due to the fact that another forum which I used to frequent always had rep per post,  I assumed it was the same on this side (thinking that when you clicked their name next to the post, it was from that post). But I guess not.

So use your idea and mine together - have it per post, but let the people who get the rep see which posts they got the rep for. This way, if they cared about rep at all they could use the posts as general indicators (the comments would also help here). Of course if the people who are giving rep are being retarded...well something could be figured out regarding that also I'm sure.

Unfortunately it might get a bit more complicated with this system, unlike the current no-strings-attached simple (abusable) system.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:17:08 PM by Bael »

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 11, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
I thought reputation had no real effect on anything whatsoever... ie. no consequences for negative rep and no benefits for positive rep.

So... why the heck does it matter, yall?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 12, 2011, 04:55:33 AM »
Because some people may not know that and may get confuzzled about it  ::)

Dunno, something to talk about it, I guess? Who cares..
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

ó Broin

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 12, 2011, 05:07:46 AM »
While Reputation has no programmed effect in the forums, it does have an effect. Just like some people worry about their reputations in RL, there are going to be those people that worry about their reputation on the forum. Those little numbers should be away to gauge how your posting and behavior is received on this board, and allow people to self moderate if they believe it indicates that they are behaving in a way the rest of the forum deems unacceptable. At the moment all it seems to indicate is that you annoyed someone that is persistent.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #41: April 17, 2011, 07:23:05 AM »
Personally, I would rather see the system used in the astroempires forums. Yes, I know, that other game. Hear me out though. By taking out the dispraise option and keeping track of which posts got repped, along with who repped them, you get rid of the problems of rep antagonism. You would also reduce the number of spam reps and make people think more about repping a post.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #42: April 17, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
Personally, I would rather see the system used in the astroempires forums. Yes, I know, that other game. Hear me out though. By taking out the dispraise option and keeping track of which posts got repped, along with who repped them, you get rid of the problems of rep antagonism. You would also reduce the number of spam reps and make people think more about repping a post.

I would like a system where individual postings can be praised, it would do a number of good things. Find me an SMF mod that does this and I'll probably install it.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 17, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
I would like a system where individual postings can be praised, it would do a number of good things. Find me an SMF mod that does this and I'll probably install it.

I suspect most people would prefer this system. Definitely a good thing.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 18, 2011, 12:29:37 AM »
This mod perhaps fits the bill? This will allow posts to be rated, and the rating for each post is displayed

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1890

A different option is this one, which limits how many times you can apply karma to a use from a individual post

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1308

A different option would be this final mod, which replaces the current Karma system entirely, Seems to have a lot of features, including the ability to add comments to a Karma action, the change in you Karma is determined by the Karma of the giver, and some Mod tools to see who is giving out Karma and delete entries.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1129
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:05:53 AM by De-Legro »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.