Author Topic: Reputation?  (Read 26297 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Reputation?
« Reply #45: May 28, 2011, 09:41:09 PM »
The reputation system bothers me.

It's not because of how negative my rep is. It's because my rep has become more negative as I post less. To clarify, during the big Advanced Mentoring argument, my negative rep was about -30 to -50.

Now it is -80, even as I have been posting way less, and certainly less controversially.

I'm getting about -2 or -3 a day, even on days that I don't post. Apparently someone or some people are just finding my posts and giving me negative rep on them. This is petty and frustrating.

Is there nothing that can be done about it? Maybe limit the amount of bad rep that can be given to the amount of good rep given?

The third mod De-Legro listed also seems like it would help.

Basically, I don't mind if people dislike me because of my opinions or how I state them. Fine. It does annoy me, though, when I continue to get negative rep despite having done nothing to merit it. I at least want a good reason for my negative rep.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: May 29, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »
I've noticed that many of the frequent posters have secured themselves a bad reputation troll. I don't know if it is gratifying to know that someone dislikes you or something you said enough to constantly give you bad rep, but yeah I'm seeing this quite a bit and think we need to do something about how bad rep is handled.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: May 29, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
I've noticed that many of the frequent posters have secured themselves a bad reputation troll. I don't know if it is gratifying to know that someone dislikes you or something you said enough to constantly give you bad rep, but yeah I'm seeing this quite a bit and think we need to do something about how bad rep is handled.

Impressive how you get a positive reputation, despite your high post count :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: May 31, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
Yeah, I think the rep system as implemented is pretty lame. The ability to continually add rep points to someone is not well thought-out.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: May 31, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »
BTW: Nice negative rep, Vellos. I hadn't noticed that someone was pounding you like that.

Also, FWIW: I don't think that the current system provides any way for *anyone* to see who is giving rep to anyone. Not even the forum mods or admins.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #50: May 31, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
Yeah, it appears the system is being abused. I'll disable it and if someone knows of a better implementation, post the required extension to the extensions thread.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #51: May 31, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
Well, as I stated earlier, a system which only has positive reps and shows who gave you a rep and on which post.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 31, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
Actually, an "only positive" system would be good. Especially if it was something like medals, where, the more you have, the more (frequently) you can give.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: May 31, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
I don't know if there is an "only positive" system out there. But there are a couple that restrict how many times you can rep someone from a single post, and that will show you who repped which post, and allow the leaving of a comment with the rep.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #54: June 01, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: June 01, 2011, 12:25:47 AM »
I'd be happy to look at writing an extension that specifically meets the need of the forum if we can't find anything suitable.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: June 01, 2011, 02:23:11 AM »
Example of a positive only system right there.

I don't believe that's an SMF forum is it? If not, then the extensions they have cannot be used with out forum, so are not applicable.

We need something that is specifically written for the SMF forum system. And it needs to be easily installable, without much difficulty. If it takes coding time and effort from Tom, then it's really not worth it for a fluff thing like a rep system.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 01, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
I don't really like the idea of seeing who negative repped a post. Like, I'm a pretty sensitive guy, and it be would kind of deconstructive to have "PERSON A, PERSON B AND PERSON C ALL HATE YOUR POST."

What if nobody wants to make themselves look like an ass and negative rep people? Then there would no purpose of negative rep. Actually a negative rep war could spark e.g. One guy likes to negative rep people so everyone feels they need to negative rep him.

I'm in favour of the positive only system.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #58: June 01, 2011, 02:38:18 AM »
Well, as I stated earlier, a system which only has positive reps and shows who gave you a rep and on which post.

Where in this did I ever say anything about negative reps?

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: June 01, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »
Where in this did I ever say anything about negative reps?

I was not necessarily talking to you.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:19:09 AM by Shane "Shenron" O'neil »
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm