Author Topic: Activity IR as it applies to foreign nobles  (Read 2571 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Activity IR as it applies to foreign nobles
« Topic Start: June 27, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
This just occurred to me and got me thinking. Say there's a priest from another realm in one of your regions, stirring up trouble and whatnot. Does it violate the IR to say:

"You have one day to get out of our realm. If you're still here, you'll be arrested."

Or what about:

"I want you out of my realm immediately, else I'll have you arrested."

Technically the first one, at least, violates the IR, doesn't it? Giving someone a short time limit to do something with the threat of punishment? But does it apply to foreign nobles as it does to your own?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Activity IR as it applies to foreign nobles
« Reply #1: June 27, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
"You have one day to get out of our realm. If you're still here, you'll be arrested."

Or what about:

"I want you out of my realm immediately, else I'll have you arrested."

Technically, they both say the same thing, only one speciifes a time frame. If you want to apply the ten-foot-pole rule, it's even better to say:

"I want you out of my realm. If you don't move away, I'll have you arrested."

Then if he's still there, arrest him the following day.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: June 27, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
No, it doesn't violate the IR.

There have been lots of IR activity complaints recently that are borderline. We need to cull things back a little. The IR allows you to play at your own speed and activity level. It does not say anything about consequences. Getting imprisoned when you stray into territory where you can be imprisoned is part of the game, thus you can continue to play just fine.

If you don't log in and are thus caught in a battle you would've otherwise avoided, that's not an IR violation. If you can't run in an election because you missed the time frame during which you could announce you are running... if you miss a tournament... if anything bad happens to your character because you didn't log in then that is not ever an IR violation.

IR violations are
  • intentional activities by others
  • directly related to one of the IRs
  • causing something that would not have happened otherwise
  • and if you come up with some hypothetical, theoretical borderline case then you need to re-read the last two sentences of the IR page.
Someone telling you to get out or else could just have arrested you right there and then. He's doing you a courtesy by giving you the opportunity to leave.

Frankly, it sickens me how people are apparently trying to find IR violations. To me, there is a very simple test: If you need to ask, then it usually isn't. Most of the IR violations that have actually been punished have been very obvious.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 27, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
Frankly, it sickens me how people are apparently trying to find IR violations. To me, there is a very simple test: If you need to ask, then it usually isn't. Most of the IR violations that have actually been punished have been very obvious.

The prevailing zeitgeist lately seems to be "Why beat the enemy when I can get the Titans/Magistrates to do it for me? Hey, does this thing that my opponent just did violate IR? No? How about this one?"
------
qui audet vincit

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 27, 2012, 07:56:12 PM »
The prevailing zeitgeist lately seems to be "Why beat the enemy when I can get the Titans/Magistrates to do it for me? Hey, does this thing that my opponent just did violate IR? No? How about this one?"

I think that's a gross exaggeration. A few people, maybe. But hardly any more than that, let alone a majority.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #5: July 02, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »

I'd say if you believe that players are attempting to use the Magistrates or Titans as weapons against another player (or group of players), report it with evidence.