Author Topic: A New Attempt  (Read 21418 times)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Re: A New Attempt
« Reply #15: July 08, 2012, 05:35:15 AM »
The easiest solution might be to allow fractional energy.

I think absolutely, any parser should be able to use fractional energy for spells.  However, I'm disinclined to use fractional energy for spell research purposes.  Here's how I presently think about it from a story telling standpoint.

In the field, when you're casting a spell you've learned the ins and outs of, all the little fine details, you're going to use all of your skill in casting that spell.  Which means you're going to use less energy to do so.

However, in the lab, or under your bedsheets when you're practicing your illuminating spell, you're perfectly free to be a little 'sloppy'.  In fact you can focus and intentionally apply less skill at your task.  I might be a brain surgeon, but if my goal is to throw a boulder and hit that house two feet away I can just lob it in there and watch the house have a very bad day.  If my goal was to throw a boulder and have it hit the fly on the door knob well then those surgical skills might've been handy, though I'd need a much smaller rock.