Author Topic: Paisly gets steamrolled  (Read 18627 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Paisly gets steamrolled
« Reply #45: July 26, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
The problem with game mechanics trumping RP is that game mechanics are too limiting.

Then make a feature request.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 26, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
The problem with game mechanics trumping RP is that game mechanics are too limiting.
Which, in many cases, is completely intentional. This is, after all, a game that we play for personal enjoyment. A conscious design decision is that you cannot, in most cases, permanently affect someone else's character. Which is why it is very difficult to kill someone else's character, or do them permanent, debilitating damage.

you should use the most mechanically accurate option available to you to ascertain the desired roleplay results otherwise your just working the system and not your character.
In some ways, yes, I agree with you. This is a decent summation in most respects. (And, really, shows a different interpretation of playing the game that is very interesting.) But along with it, you also have to use the guideline of "If you're using a game mechanic for something other than what it was intended to do, then you're probably doing something wrong". When you use game mechanics, the action itself should speak for itself. If you have to send a message to qualify the intention of the mechanic you're using, then you're probably doing something wrong. Especially if you have to say something like "I know the game says we're doing X, but we're really just doing Y."

I would also not complain if you roleplayed torturing my character and leaving him mutilated.
You should. That kind of behavior is outside the scope/rules of the game unless both players have agreed to it. So unless you and the other player have agreed to it before it happens, then the other player has broken the rules. At the very least, he needs to be made aware of the rules before he tries doing it to someone else who doesn't agree to it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 26, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
You should. That kind of behavior is outside the scope/rules of the game unless both players have agreed to it. So unless you and the other player have agreed to it before it happens, then the other player has broken the rules. At the very least, he needs to be made aware of the rules before he tries doing it to someone else who doesn't agree to it.
That's not what the Titans (I think) said when I complained about it happening to me.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 26, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
That's not what the Titans (I think) said when I complained about it happening to me.

That's because it's not a Titan case. It's a violation of roleplay rules, not the IR.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 26, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
That's because it's not a Titan case. It's a violation of roleplay rules, not the IR.

Which in that case are not enforced by anyone. Which means it's less of a rule (which when broken should have consequences) and more of an etiquette guideline, though I agree that it would annoy me to have someone else RP mutilating my character without discussing it with me OOC first.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 27, 2012, 12:44:31 AM »
Which, in many cases, is completely intentional. This is, after all, a game that we play for personal enjoyment. A conscious design decision is that you cannot, in most cases, permanently affect someone else's character. Which is why it is very difficult to kill someone else's character, or do them permanent, debilitating damage.

Yes and while I understand that that is a feature I would still be willing to roleplay round the mechanics for the purpose of good roleplaying. Expecially because it is a game and when bad things happen to you in a game... They should actually happen because there is no reason for them not to happen... Because its a game.

I would also challenge any of you to name a method of torture that isn't mutilating and fits SMA...

In some ways, yes, I agree with you. This is a decent summation in most respects. (And, really, shows a different interpretation of playing the game that is very interesting.) But along with it, you also have to use the guideline of "If you're using a game mechanic for something other than what it was intended to do, then you're probably doing something wrong". When you use game mechanics, the action itself should speak for itself. If you have to send a message to qualify the intention of the mechanic you're using, then you're probably doing something wrong. Especially if you have to say something like "I know the game says we're doing X, but we're really just doing Y."

Games like this are always limited by mechanics, both IRL roleplaying games and pc games and generally I've been taught by players and game masters to be creative because it simply makes the game more fun and easier to roleplay. Playing the mechanics (because I mean really who plays a roleplaying game because they enjoy working spreadsheets which is essentially what battlemaster is if you do) seems counter productive to the essence of the game.

Why did you complain about it happening to you? You obviously in some way got into a situation where your character was captured in order for them to get tortured so there is plenty of IG justification for it. If you don't want your character to get into those situations... Don't put your character in those situations. When you send your character into battle do you think "My character might get captured and tortured, but its okay because all that will happen is they'll get to read my letters" Or do you think "My character might get captured and tortured, that would be really bad because who knows what state he'll be in afterwards"

Because it most definately IS NOT AGAINST ROLEPLAYING ETIQUETTE for a player to do anything he likes to another players character when that character is in a situation where they are completely powerless to do anything to stop them and using OOC to try to stop a player mutilating your character is DEFINATELY POWER GAMING.

It would however be powergaming for me to roleplay my character beating yours in a duel without either your permission or the game mechanics saying I won. The difference between the two situations is that if I torture your character then he is definately not in a situation to defend himself because if he was then he wouldn't be being tortured. Where as if your character and mine were to duel, there is a chance yours could win.

Also if while I was torturing your character I cut his hand off, then you RP using that hand, your powergaming.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: July 27, 2012, 01:06:23 AM »
I would also challenge any of you to name a method of torture that isn't mutilating and fits SMA...
I believe it was  called The Comfy Chair. Horrifying.

Because it most definately IS NOT AGAINST ROLEPLAYING ETIQUETTE for a player to do anything he likes to another players character when that character is in a situation where they are completely powerless to do anything to stop them and using OOC to try to stop a player mutilating your character is DEFINATELY POWER GAMING.
While that may work with 6 or 8 people sitting around a table, that isn't the way that BattleMaster works. RPing the mutilation of another character without their permission is against the RP guidelines. Like it or not, those are the rules of *this* game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 27, 2012, 01:11:43 AM »
Did they have waterboarding in medieval times?

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 27, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
I believe it was  called The Comfy Chair. Horrifying.

I thought making "funny" comments like that was against SMA.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 27, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »
I thought making "funny" comments like that was against SMA.
Nothing wrong with it in the forums.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: July 27, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »
Nothing wrong with it in the forums.

Yeah but I said a torture method that is fine for SMA. If I roleplayed sitting a noble in a comfy chair for torture someone would complain to the magistrates I was trying to be funny. And anyway Monty Python isn't Medieval.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 27, 2012, 01:25:40 AM »
Did they have waterboarding in medieval times?

Pouring water into a victims mouth until they talked or drowned did says Yahoo answers but that doesn't work for the mechanics because there is a chance I just accidentally drown you

While that may work with 6 or 8 people sitting around a table, that isn't the way that BattleMaster works. RPing the mutilation of another character without their permission is against the RP guidelines. Like it or not, those are the rules of *this* game.

Its powergaming, it being allowed and encouraged by the rules of the game doesn't stop it being powergaming, it just stops it being punishable.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: July 27, 2012, 05:44:48 AM »

Also if while I was torturing your character I cut his hand off, then you RP using that hand, your powergaming.

Actually no. By the RP rules of BM you are actually power gaming by cutting off the hand of a character without the consent of the player that controls the character. You might not like the rules, or agree with them but those are the rules for this game. Else we would have Judges that role-play cutting off all the limbs of everyone that arrives in their dungeon during a war then arguing said nobles can no longer lead troops into battle due to their injuries. If you where meant to be able to inflict those sort of injuries there would be a mechanic to allow it. Remember this is not a straight RP game, it is a RP/Strategy blend.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.