Author Topic: A Matter Of Honour // This-Is-How-You-Declare-War.  (Read 73077 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
My god you guys are so sensitive. Anytime anyone does anything Outside of your tight little roleplay scripts its freak out time. Asylon is a complete medieval !@#$ hole, an Aucandiilian would vomit their guts out if they hung around us for 5 minutes.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Technically peasants are always uncultured, but I assumed he meant uncultured compared to other peasants.

Earth and wood was a by gone age... This is a game mirroring the time of the Middle Ages. Earth and wood as a fortress would not have lasted long. No doubt they have wooden buildings, but I doubt a fortress, as described by the game, would be wood and earth. Also, they can always import stone.

Why not simply leave it alone and let them define these things for themselves? That's my point. Even if they haven't thought about what Rettleville looked like before this, and you can't be sure they haven't, you've now boxed them in no matter how well-reasoned your description is.

My advice is to try to avoid describing in detail things that don't belong to you, the player. Your character, your units, your realm, your regions - all yours to describe. Other people's? Well, as someone else said, that's taking liberties at best. It's rude and disrespectful at worst. The best roleplaying is done as a collaboration. If you would like to know what Rettleville looks like to incorporate it into your RP, then ask the local lord to send you a description (or use the descriptions IG or on the Wiki if available), then use *that* and comment on how backward it seems to your character. It's the considerate thing to do.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Importing stone is also very expensive so its not illogical to imagine that in an area surrounded by trees there would be a large ammount of wood used in ALL construction be it fortress or outhouse.

Also, why is the politeness of a war declaration roleplay which suggests the ENEMY is lesser than its authors such a matter of contention. It is almost certainly a propaganda roleplay.

And fortresses are also very expensive. Nobles pay good money to buy them. And doesn't it say something about you 'signing the last block' when you make fortifications? If it is in blocks, it is highly likely stone.

Propaganda is words. But, unless he is hallucinating, sights can only be changed to a degree, even if you are looking at them with biased eyes.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Importing stone is also very expensive so its not illogical to imagine that in an area surrounded by trees there would be a large ammount of wood used in ALL construction be it fortress or outhouse.

Also, why is the politeness of a war declaration roleplay which suggests the ENEMY is lesser than its authors such a matter of contention. It is almost certainly a propaganda roleplay.

Well, they live in a forest that stretches for thousands of miles in in-game distance, it'll be very hard for them to import stone, if they don't have their own quarries, which Barca may well have and would well be in within reason for them to have. Though, it stands to reason Barca would use wood simply because it's cheap, easy, fast and quick to repair, can stockpile large amounts of it, and you can construct wooden walls or ramparts in a matter of hours. For sections of Rettleville that cannot be approached except for climbing (If the drawing on their wiki page is to be believed) then it wouldn't make sense of them to shell out a vast amount of time, effort and gold to cover it in the same standard of stone fortification when it would be just as easily, if not better defended by wood.

The roleplay never exactly said anything overly offensive or insulting, or at least Barca so far never made a fuss about it, corrected Aurvandil on any inaccuracies.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Why not simply leave it alone and let them define these things for themselves? That's my point. Even if they haven't thought about what Rettleville looked like before this, and you can't be sure they haven't, you've now boxed them in no matter how well-reasoned your description is.

My advice is to try to avoid describing in detail things that don't belong to you, the player. Your character, your units, your realm, your regions - all yours to describe. Other people's? Well, as someone else said, that's taking liberties at best. It's rude and disrespectful at worst. The best roleplaying is done as a collaboration. If you would like to know what Rettleville looks like to incorporate it into your RP, then ask the local lord to send you a description (or use the descriptions IG or on the Wiki if available), then use *that* and comment on how backward it seems to your character. It's the considerate thing to do.

Erm, excuse me if I am blind to something, but why was I quoted?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Erm, excuse me if I am blind to something, but why was I quoted?

Misquote, sorry.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Which is why I was suggesting that Mendicant should have utilized the description available.  ;)

That would imply it was my roleplay, when it wasn't. Allomere wrote it on his own.

My god you guys are so sensitive. Anytime anyone does anything Outside of your tight little roleplay scripts its freak out time. Asylon is a complete medieval !@#$ hole, an Aucandiilian would vomit their guts out if they hung around us for 5 minutes.

I agree that it is being over sensitive. Some are calling it insulting, or derogatory to say they use wood or earth in their fortifications. Or to otherwise refer to the peasants as uncivilised, which was a fairly common occurrence for the time.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I agree that it is being over sensitive. Some are calling it insulting, or derogatory to say they use wood or earth in their fortifications. Or to otherwise refer to the peasants as uncivilised, which was a fairly common occurrence for the time.

I am just saying how I viewed it. It's not derogatory to assume they used some earth and wood, but if they only used earth and wood, it probably would not be a level 5 fortress. And I explained the uncivilized quote. Yes, they are uncivilized, but I assume they are uncivilized compared to Aurvandil peasants, not compared to nobles. If I'm wrong, the Roleplayer can drop me a line and say that was not his intention. Until then, that's the way I view that.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I am just saying how I viewed it. It's not derogatory to assume they used some earth and wood, but if they only used earth and wood, it probably would not be a level 5 fortress. And I explained the uncivilized quote. Yes, they are uncivilized, but I assume they are uncivilized compared to Aurvandil peasants, not compared to nobles. If I'm wrong, the Roleplayer can drop me a line and say that was not his intention. Until then, that's the way I view that.

I shall have to check the Rettleville description just to see what it actually says, if anything about the fortifications.

But Allomere doesn't directly state all of it is earth and wood, he says the curtain around it is, but then goes on to say it is a tiered affair, it isn't so unbelievable to say that the crag/whatever it is, has a series of wooden palisades, ramparts supported by embankments to surround the base of it, with the proper fortifications actually being on top of the incline. Either way, I will check the description now.

Edit: I can find no description of the Barcan fortifications anywhere. Unless you count the drawing on the wiki.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:28:44 AM by NoblesseChevaleresque »

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
And fortresses are also very expensive. Nobles pay good money to buy them. And doesn't it say something about you 'signing the last block' when you make fortifications? If it is in blocks, it is highly likely stone.

Propaganda is words. But, unless he is hallucinating, sights can only be changed to a degree, even if you are looking at them with biased eyes.

Fortresses are very expensive... because they are huge not because of there construction material making an entire fortress out of stone in a forrest is illogical and even more expensive than building a fortress would normally be because not only do you have to transport the stone, you have to transport the stone through a forrest. Signing the last block is flavour text and has about as much value as the "hack the router" option for infiltrators.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Fortresses are very expensive... because they are huge not because of there construction material making an entire fortress out of stone in a forrest is illogical and even more expensive than building a fortress would normally be because not only do you have to transport the stone, you have to transport the stone through a forrest. Signing the last block is flavour text and has about as much value as the "hack the router" option for infiltrators.

Well, blocks can just be a generic terminology for assembly pieces, from which it could just as easily be wood, as stone.

But I would it isn't entirely illogical to build a stone fortification in a forest, it is what Mendicant would do, what greater display of power and wealth than through an engineering and logistical feat than that? Mendicant though, is always about trying to show of the majesty of his civilisation, and building a ridiculously humongous stone fortification in the middle of a dense forest would be one way.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I'm just OOCly very curious about what happened with the negotiations.

Literally not a single message from any negotiation has ever made its way to Hireshmont. Which is very frustrating for an OCD diplomat like him.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'm just OOCly very curious about what happened with the negotiations.

Literally not a single message from any negotiation has ever made its way to Hireshmont. Which is very frustrating for an OCD diplomat like him.

I guess Hireshmont wasn't relevant enough?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I guess Hireshmont wasn't relevant enough?

Or the Barcans are exactly what we've always known them to be: horribly incompetent at diplomacy.

Or no negotiations actually took place, and you got one message from Julius and didn't give him a response.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Or the Barcans are exactly what we've always known them to be: horribly incompetent at diplomacy.

Or no negotiations actually took place, and you got one message from Julius and didn't give him a response.

Well they did prevent Brom from taking the aegis to the zuma for about a month...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."