Author Topic: Can archers fire even when melee is engages?  (Read 2371 times)

Kmap

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Can archers fire even when melee is engages?
« Topic Start: June 30, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
Is it true that, now, archers can fire on the troops behind even when the front row is engaged?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yes, this was implemented a few months ago. They have a penalty to hit in that situation, since they have to aim carefully to avoid hitting their friends.

Edit: Er, wait. Rereading your question, I'm no longer sure I know what you mean. Archers have always been able to fire past the front line of combat. Archers can now fire past or into the first line of combat.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kmap

• Freeman
    • View Profile
No, I mean, can archers keep firing at the enemy's middle and rearward rows even when there are melee units engaged in combat in the front rows (and the rows in between the two front rows).
Are archers of any use in the later stages of battle? (when the infantry and cavalry are in combat, and ofcourse not considering the case that infantry and cav units of the archers' realm are wiped out and all enemy units are charging at the archer units...)
I hope that is more clear. :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:34:12 AM by Kmap »

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yes, that's indeed possible these days. But as said previously they will do less damage as they have to aim more carefully (thus fire less arrows).
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

egamma

Archers fire at a 45 degree angle, or thereabouts. They shoot over the first row of combat to hit the ones further back.

Kmap

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Thanks Quintus. Thanks Egamma. :)

I forgot that an archer unit has a maximum range of only 4 rows, that means it cannot fire past the front rows, if it is not in the front row.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:55:35 PM by Kmap »