Author Topic: Favourite book?  (Read 9816 times)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
Re: Favourite book?
« Reply #15: July 12, 2012, 06:23:31 AM »
No one has mentioned The Dark Tower yet? C'mon, Vellos even signs his letters "Long Days and Pleasant Nights".

I envision Dwilight as the continent where the world has moved on.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 13, 2012, 05:15:06 AM »
No one has mentioned The Dark Tower yet? C'mon, Vellos even signs his letters "Long Days and Pleasant Nights".

I envision Dwilight as the continent where the world has moved on.

Curious bit about that.

I've never read the Dark Tower.

I stole the sig from Metis Highland, founder of Triunism. One or two other Triunists use that signoff too. Metis took it from The Dark Tower, I have since learned, but in BM it's kind of a Triunist thing. Since Hireshmont's conversion to Sanguis Astroism, he's actually gotten a sort of a semi-cease-and-desist request from one Triunist, as well as a few Astroists asking him if he's "really" converted, given his signature.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 13, 2012, 06:38:40 AM »
I stole the sig from Metis Highland, founder of Triunism. One or two other Triunists use that signoff too. Metis took it from The Dark Tower, I have since learned, but in BM it's kind of a Triunist thing. Since Hireshmont's conversion to Sanguis Astroism, he's actually gotten a sort of a semi-cease-and-desist request from one Triunist, as well as a few Astroists asking him if he's "really" converted, given his signature.
Well thats a bummer because I was thinking about stealing that awesome signoff but if I will get in trouble with the religious folks I probably shouldn't.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 13, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
Well thats a bummer because I was thinking about stealing that awesome signoff but if I will get in trouble with the religious folks I probably shouldn't.

Just convert to Triunism!  :)
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #19: July 13, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
I would have to say my favorite is Sandy Mitchell's Commissar Cain series of books.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 13, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »
For those of you who are avid readers and love all things Medieval, A Distant Mirror is a wonderful book on the history of the 100 Years War leading from the early 1400s until the late 1500s, about 600-700 pages if I'm not mistaken. I found it in my father's old book collection when he died, sitting among an absolutely maddening number of Tom Clancy novels. I think he had every single novel Clancy has ever written. <_< I lost them when our shipment container sprung a leak halfway across the Atlantic on its way to Brazil, but oh well. I read them a looong time ago. I no longer actually HAVE this book, but I can guarantee its a hell of a read and offers some pretty deep insight into life, politics, war, art, and culture of the time.

I read it when I was about 9, maybe 10, and I still haven't found a book on medieval times that can best it.

EDIT: Found it, but my version is a black hardcover and looks very different. Huh.

http://www.amazon.com/Distant-Mirror-Calamitous-14th-Century/dp/0345349571#reader_0345349571
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:59:21 PM by Ehndras »
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 13, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
Be warned, its ridiculously-dense at times. The amount of detail imparted is absolutely breathtaking at times.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.