Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Succession Fort—Angnomal, "Redstaff"  (Read 59039 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Succession Fort
« Reply #15: March 25, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
I'd like to have the init option of REPLACE_ALL for dwarf nicknames

Well, since that's an init option, you can set it for yourself :)

We should decide on some of the game-balance-affecting init and d_init options, though...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #16: March 25, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
Umm... No aquifers, no economy, do you guys want to limit dwarf numbers to 100?  That way we'll get all the features and not so much lag. (due to migrations we'll probably go slightly over 100)

Children... change to 5/10% since they... lag if you have lots married and they go over pop limit.  Um.... anything else?  I'll post more if I think of them.  Weather?  Does anyone care if muddy pools are filled?  I don't really if we embark on soil, and weather slows down the game a little as well.  As long as we have a river we should be fine, right?  If all else fails just build a well. :)

So I'm assuming there will be 2 zip files to be shared, one is the initial newb pack that includes DF and all the nice init graphics dinit stuff set already so we can all use the same *if we want to* and if you like something else you can change it yourself.  And the other zip being saves that are passed around.  This way, most players will probably be playing with the same init and stuff, just to make things easier. ;)

The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 25, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »
Umm... No aquifers, no economy, do you guys want to limit dwarf numbers to 100?  That way we'll get all the features and not so much lag. (due to migrations we'll probably go slightly over 100)

No economy—check. It sounds incredibly annoying, even aside from its extreme bugginess.

No aquifers—well, so long as we can find a site with a good river. But that's an embark thing, not an init option.

Dwarf limits—I would say more like 120, 140, if you want to move it down from 200.  My most recent fort (which has, alas, hit an extremely annoying crash) has over 150, and I still frequently need more labour to get things done fast ;)

Children... change to 5/10% since they... lag if you have lots married and they go over pop limit.  Um.... anything else?  I'll post more if I think of them.  Weather?  Does anyone care if muddy pools are filled?  I don't really if we embark on soil, and weather slows down the game a little as well.  As long as we have a river we should be fine, right?  If all else fails just build a well. :)

Children I generally set at 20/20%, which, thus far, has led to me having 3 children and 3-5 babies (I forget exactly) in the aforementioned 160-dwarf fort.

I think each of us should be free to turn weather on and off as we please; it affects little enough that I think that should be determined by our individual desires for reduced lag.

Um...if you don't have a river, and you don't have an aquifer, what are you going to build a well to?  The cavern lakes??

So I'm assuming there will be 2 zip files to be shared, one is the initial newb pack that includes DF and all the nice init graphics dinit stuff set already so we can all use the same *if we want to* and if you like something else you can change it yourself.  And the other zip being saves that are passed around.  This way, most players will probably be playing with the same init and stuff, just to make things easier. ;)

I can certainly pack up the game itself, with Ironhand graphics, and our chosen set of init options into a separate zip file to make available to those without a strong preference for something else.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 25, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
No economy—check. It sounds incredibly annoying, even aside from its extreme bugginess.

Dwarven Economy can't activate in current versions. It has been disabled due the bugginess of it, so no worries there.

No aquifers—well, so long as we can find a site with a good river. But that's an embark thing, not an init option.

Aquifers can be turned off by removing the Aquifer tags in the save files. I never played with aquifers before, so I have no preference there. They sound annoying, so I've been avoiding them for my first several forts, but that's all. Here is the post:

By editing the the raws and removing the [AQUIFER] tag from all of the appropriate entries in inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt it is possible to remove all aquifers from the world. This can be done before creating a new world or after, if you find a particularly neat location ruined only by the presence of an aquifer. In order to modify an existing world, you must delete the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws in the savegame's folder.

Dwarf limits and weather: I have not encountered lag issues with Dwarf Fortress yet, so standard values are good for me.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #19: March 25, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »

Dwarf limits—I would say more like 120, 140, if you want to move it down from 200.  My most recent fort (which has, alas, hit an extremely annoying crash) has over 150, and I still frequently need more labour to get things done fast ;)
The reason that I say 100 is that we need 100 to get all the features of nobles and stuff, but the more dwarves there are, the slower the game is, and thus the harder it is for those without your awesome comp specs to play at a decent speed.  I already find that 60 dwarves is around 60-80 fps, and my laptop is pretty good for today's standards.  Thus, the reason I limit it at 100 is for features, and I'd go lower if it weren't for the features at 100 (king).

Children I generally set at 20/20%, which, thus far, has led to me having 3 children and 3-5 babies (I forget exactly) in the aforementioned 160-dwarf fort.

I think each of us should be free to turn weather on and off as we please; it affects little enough that I think that should be determined by our individual desires for reduced lag.
Yep, I'm just suggesting for the default options, each player, of course, can turn it back on if they want. ;)  But, it doesn't matter thaat much.

Children... I don't mind them, but they go over the pop limit, which defeats the purpose of having a pop limit.  That's why I prefer to keep children to a minimum unless I set a really really low pop limit to turn off immigration.

Um...if you don't have a river, and you don't have an aquifer, what are you going to build a well to?  The cavern lakes??

I can certainly pack up the game itself, with Ironhand graphics, and our chosen set of init options into a separate zip file to make available to those without a strong preference for something else.
Um... there *are* underground lakes, eh?  I mean, water is not just on the surface or in aquifers.  I distinctly remember building wells far below to underground lakes.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 25, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
The reason that I say 100 is that we need 100 to get all the features of nobles and stuff, but the more dwarves there are, the slower the game is, and thus the harder it is for those without your awesome comp specs to play at a decent speed.  I already find that 60 dwarves is around 60-80 fps, and my laptop is pretty good for today's standards.  Thus, the reason I limit it at 100 is for features, and I'd go lower if it weren't for the features at 100 (king).

Um...60-80 fps is pretty damn good, Foundation.  What do you consider "good fps", 150-200?  :o

Children... I don't mind them, but they go over the pop limit, which defeats the purpose of having a pop limit.  That's why I prefer to keep children to a minimum unless I set a really really low pop limit to turn off immigration.

Well, this does keep children to a minimum...6-10 babies and children combined in a fort of 160 (which we will not reach, assuming the pop limit is not still bugged) is hardly an overabundance of youngsters.

Um... there *are* underground lakes, eh?  I mean, water is not just on the surface or in aquifers.  I distinctly remember building wells far below to underground lakes.

Yes, but they take some time to get to if you try to actually get a fort up and running before you go breach them...

And how would you like a giant flying earwig forgotten beast (beware its poisonous gases!) to fly up your well shaft right into the middle of your hospital or meeting area and start slaughtering your dwarves?
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #21: March 25, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
Um...60-80 fps is pretty damn good, Foundation.  What do you consider "good fps", 150-200?  :o

Well, this does keep children to a minimum...6-10 babies and children combined in a fort of 160 (which we will not reach, assuming the pop limit is not still bugged) is hardly an overabundance of youngsters.

Yes, but they take some time to get to if you try to actually get a fort up and running before you go breach them...

And how would you like a giant flying earwig forgotten beast (beware its poisonous gases!) to fly up your well shaft right into the middle of your hospital or meeting area and start slaughtering your dwarves?

Well, that's some "fun" right there, no? :D

Hmm... I guess I like 100+ fps, that way I get through a season in about 20 minutes. (in this new fort without immigration that I'm playing with). 8)

With youngsters, I guess I'm more concerned with when they become actual dwarves and then the effect kinda multiplies, but in this fort we don't really have to worry about that since that won't be for quite a few months at least.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 25, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »

Don't start complaining about low frame rate until you get down to <20.  After that, it starts getting painful...

Been there. Done that.

Well, OK, it wasn't a giant flying earwig. It was a ocean titan with two jackal heads (beware it's poisonous fangs!) that crawled up out of my cistern, into which it had fallen in several years before.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 26, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »
Dwarven Economy can't activate in current versions. It has been disabled due the bugginess of it, so no worries there.

I kind of suspected that, but I hadn't read of it specifically, so I wasn't sure.  I just played with it always turned off, because it sounded like a royal pain ;)

Aquifers can be turned off by removing the Aquifer tags in the save files. I never played with aquifers before, so I have no preference there. They sound annoying, so I've been avoiding them for my first several forts, but that's all.

Yeah, they can be annoying, but there are ways to defeat them.  My preferred method is to make sure that my embark site doesn't have an aquifer in all biomes, and has a fair amount of up-and-down-ness (in other words, various relatively steep slopes or cliffs), which generally means that there will be at least some place where the aquifer can be safely worked around.

Now, for more major business:

Ironhand has released his latest set, compatible with .23 (yes, Toady already released another bugfix update! glee!), so I'm going to start setting up the worldgen parameters when I get a chance. 

This may not be till Monday, since my wife is going away to China for business on Monday, and tomorrow we have someone coming to look at our house, so this weekend will likely be somewhat hectic ;)  I'll see when I can find the time, and report the results.
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #24: March 27, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
Yayaya, let's get this game started!  Take lots of screens, Tim!  Screens > text. :D

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 27, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
Sign me up for a late spot
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 27, 2011, 04:13:14 PM »
Someone is on fire! 0.31.24 released!

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #27: March 27, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »
Whaaa?  That's ridiculous releases... one every day or so?!?!?!

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 28, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Apparently, as 31.25 has just been released ;D Another set of bugfixes, hopefully this is the last one!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 28, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
Personally, I hope he keeps on fixing the bugs. The more, the better.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.