Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Succession Fort—Angnomal, "Redstaff"  (Read 58519 times)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You're the Overseer for the first year, so do what you think is best ;D And gives us screenshots with the thought process so we can enjoy the fruition of your plans, one way or the other...

Hmmm *looks through the list* I'll take the risk and go for "Ducim Nishabod: Competent Marksdwarf, Competent Dodger, Competent Ambusher, Novice Swimmer"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I'll take "Adil Inalnish: Novice Wood Cutter, Competent Brewer, Competent Grower, Competent Herbalist".  He (or she?!?!?!) should remain useful throughout. ;)

Any bets on him being the first to die?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Any bets on him being the first to die?

10 barrels of rotten llama meat that either he dies first or becomes a legendary marksdwarf....and then die. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'll take -- Zulban Ducimonol, expedition leader: Proficient Miner, Adequate Appraiser, Novice Negotiator, Adequate Judge of Intent-- assuming he hasn't been taken.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I'll take -- Zulban Ducimonol, expedition leader: Proficient Miner, Adequate Appraiser, Novice Negotiator, Adequate Judge of Intent-- assuming he hasn't been taken.

Oh; sorry, I was assuming I'd take the expedition leader.  Do you mind?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
If only there was a child dwarf... then I'd take him/her and do nothing for... 12 years. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Oh; sorry, I was assuming I'd take the expedition leader.  Do you mind?

I thought you would too. Not at all, I'll take Bembul Saramathel.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
* Iltaran coughs and waves

Sooo... could I get on the list of overseers? #8 is fine with me
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So far, we're still waiting on ^ban^ and DoctorHarte to pick which starting dwarf they want.  The ones still left unclaimed are:

Kivish Bufutsibrek: Novice Wood Cutter, Competent Carpenter, Novice Wood Crafter, Novice Stone Crafter, Novice Bone Carver
Vabok Rullokum: Novice Mason, Adequate Fish Dissector, Competent Fish Cleaner, Competent Fisherdwarf

I've put those who've picked so far into the initial post.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Angnomal Settlement Chronicle, First Entry
« Reply #54: March 31, 2011, 12:18:12 AM »
Being an account of the founding of the fortress of Angnomal, rendered into the common speech as "Redstaff", by the group Kon Nokzam, "The Master of Battles," of the Dwarven nation of Dalzatlokum, "The Matched Spears." The expedition's leader and first chronicler was a miner named Zulban 'Anaris' Ducimonol, whose last name can be translated as "Workedmountains."

1 Granite, 1051
The first day of a new year, and we have arrived at the site of our new home.  We don't have a lot of supplies left, but what we have should be enough to last us until we can get a local infrastructure set up.

As we approached the site from the west, along the path from the Mountainhome, I could see the ancient lava tube, all that remains of a much taller volcano, emerging from the eroded cliff face that thrust up from the snow-covered plain. The site chosen is just at the foot of that volcano, with a peak towering high above it to the north, and a spur of rock jutting out of the plain just south of it.

The name the colonization committee informed me they have chosen for this site is "Redstaff", which seems slightly plain to me, given the names they usually assign, but it is their right to assign the names.  We will simply have to ensure that the fortress we build here gains such renown that the name goes down in the Great Record as one of the mightiest of the Matched Spears.

I must make a final survey of the site now, to determine just what the initial layout will be.  I will endeavour to write more once the planning is done and the work has begun.
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Yayaya, the fun has started! :D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
2 Slate, 1051

I can hardly believe it has been an entire month.  More than a month, actually; I intended to write this entry yesterday, but I was just too tired.

Thus far, we have dug out a bedroom, a farm, and two small workrooms. We have made progress on the dining room, too, but it's not ready yet.  I have included a sketch of the current state of the ground-level rooms.

Before my fellow miner and I made it more than a few steps into the mountainside, the woodcutters had brought down some trees and built a carpenter's workshop just outside the entrance we were digging. I have also had erected a relatively simple butchery and tannery.  This was a good, thing, too, because Ducim "Telrunya", our hunter, brought down a fox, and was able to keep the pelt almost completely intact.  It is now cured and tanned and ready to be made into something useful, and the rest of the fox has been added to our food stocks and our supply of bones for making more bolts out of.

Ducim had to come back for more ammunition already, and says that soon he should be bringing in a prize catch: a giant moose cow! He's already got it badly wounded, and just needs enough bolts to finish it off before he can bring it in for Bembul "Alpha" to butcher into useful parts.

Here is a sketch of the entrance, with its few hastily-erected workshops and refuse pile.

As you can see from this sketch, the snow has melted—mostly.  It still remains in pockets on and around the mountains, and where it had fallen more deeply in the southeastern part of our claim.  In fact, the wagon we came with is sitting right on the edge of the melted area.

The pools in the area haven't melted yet, but I'm sure they will soon.  It's getting pleasantly warm.  I think that this is going to be an excellent climate for a fortress.

And if we get too cold, we can always go stand near the lava tube...

Speaking of which, I've mapped out some plans for making use of that.  It'll be a while yet before we can put these fully into effect, but I've made some diagrams of how I intend to tap the edge of the lava tube for magma we can use to power forges and furnaces.

With some simple shafts dug right up to the edge of the tube, we should be able to then carve some slits into the side—and then run like Rash Abysstwilights, the Faint Tomb of Nights was chasing us so as not to get toasted. Or melted.

Then on the level above, all we need to do is dig some channels down to tap the lava tunnels, and we'll have all we need for lovely magma-powered industry!

We'll even be able to put the stockpiles needed to keep all that work going smoothly directly above them, if I'm any judge.  The edges of all the pools on the plain are clay loam, and that should make the perfect floor for our main storage areas.  Though we will have to work around some of those pools...

Well, that's about all that's happened so far.  To close, I include two broader sketches of the entire area, one showing just the section we have worked, and the other showing most of the area included in our claim. 

In the second one, you can see the edge of the lava tube in the north, and the brook crossing it in the far southwest.

I will write more around the beginning of next month.  I am sure we will have made a great deal more progress by then.
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Yay! Awesome work!  I wanted to ask how you took the screenshots... but it's probably some mac functionality that windows doesn't have. :(

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yay! Awesome work!  I wanted to ask how you took the screenshots... but it's probably some mac functionality that windows doesn't have. :(

In fact, it is ;) Macs have a built-in ability to take a screenshot of the whole screen, a selected rectangle, or a specific window, and dump it directly to a .png.

...though, in all fairness, I have been given to understand that more recent versions of Windows have less crippled screenshot functionality than XP and previous.

In any case, DF has its own image-dumping functionality, accessed from the [esc] menu (same place as where you save & quit).  This simply dumps images of entire z-levels to .bmp files.  On no account should one try to upload these .bmp files anywhere, however; they're absurdly large.  DF comes bundled with a copy of optipng, which is a command-line tool that allows you to take the .bmp files and convert them into .png files of various sizes.

If you want to do any editing to the image dumps, though (cropping, annotating, etc), you should do it before converting, because MS Paint uses .bmp as a native format anyway, and it's non-lossy.
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
In fact, it is ;) Macs have a built-in ability to take a screenshot of the whole screen, a selected rectangle, or a specific window, and dump it directly to a .png.

...though, in all fairness, I have been given to understand that more recent versions of Windows have less crippled screenshot functionality than XP and previous.

In any case, DF has its own image-dumping functionality, accessed from the [esc] menu (same place as where you save & quit).  This simply dumps images of entire z-levels to .bmp files.  On no account should one try to upload these .bmp files anywhere, however; they're absurdly large.  DF comes bundled with a copy of optipng, which is a command-line tool that allows you to take the .bmp files and convert them into .png files of various sizes.

If you want to do any editing to the image dumps, though (cropping, annotating, etc), you should do it before converting, because MS Paint uses .bmp as a native format anyway, and it's non-lossy.

I'm familiar with using the Print Screen button on my windows pc and then cropping. :)  The z level is nice, though sometimes I think I'd want to show text and warnings and other stuff. :D

So... we will only use one of the magma channels? :o  I don't quite understand how they work or how many we need.