Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Succession Fort—Angnomal, "Redstaff"  (Read 58993 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
A magma forge/kiln/glass furnace/smelter/etc. requires one open square beneath it that opens onto lava of at least depth 4 in the Z-level below. Common practice is to make that one square be one of the impassable squares of the workshop you are building. (So those silly dorfs don't fall in.) For magma forges, that's one of the two side squares. For everything else, it's the top center square.

Magma Forge:       Everything Else:
XXX                XOX
OXO                XXX
XXX                XXX

I've never used so many channels so close together, myself. I usually dig out my workshops, figure out what I'm going to put in each row of shops, then dig the laval tubes underneath as needed. To me, the layout Anaris has seems awfully small. I build all my workshops in 5x5 rooms with a door, so I can lock in any insane crafters. I'd make the lava tubes at least twice as long and space them farther apart, even if they aren't used. It's easier to dug out more than you need to start with, than to add more later. :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So... we will only use one of the magma channels? :o  I don't quite understand how they work or how many we need.

I've never used so many channels so close together, myself. I usually dig out my workshops, figure out what I'm going to put in each row of shops, then dig the laval tubes underneath as needed. To me, the layout Anaris has seems awfully small. I build all my workshops in 5x5 rooms with a door, so I can lock in any insane crafters. I'd make the lava tubes at least twice as long and space them farther apart, even if they aren't used. It's easier to dug out more than you need to start with, than to add more later. :)

I don't think we'll need lots of spots on all the tubes; I just figured I'd set them up so they're easier to use when and if we need them. 

And I only set up the channels and stairs for the first one because I don't know how many others we'll want yet.  It's easy enough to dig channels and build stairs later.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
I'm familiar with using the Print Screen button on my windows pc and then cropping. :)  The z level is nice, though sometimes I think I'd want to show text and warnings and other stuff. :D

So... we will only use one of the magma channels? :o  I don't quite understand how they work or how many we need.

alt-printscreen captures only the current window.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
alt-printscreen captures only the current window.

That is the most awesome thing I learnt in... about 2 weeks.  :o  Thanks Joe!
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Sorry, no more updates till tomorrow at the earliest; Scottish Country Dancing followed quickly by a choir rehearsal has left me pleasantly, but entirely, exhausted.  The rest of the day was also quite busy.

Stay tuned, though; I'll have more for you soon enough.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
If you're taking more overseers, I'd love to be added.  This seems quite fun.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Oh god, I got to start trying to learn this game again. I am utterly lost on everything any of you are saying...
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
How's the fort going? :D

Just checking up, no pressure.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Sorry, crazy weekend.  Will be doing some more today or tomorrow.
Timothy Collett

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Almost thought we had another update ;) I know how RL can be, so no worries. I'll be eagerly and patiently waiting.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Almost thought we had another update ;) I know how RL can be, so no worries. I'll be eagerly and patiently waiting.

Hmm... eagerly and patiently, those two don't mix very well. 8)

Sorry, crazy weekend.  Will be doing some more today or tomorrow.

Don't worry at all, Tim.  Your two weeks is far from over, plenty of time. :D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
5th Felsite, 1051
The past month has been very busy, but without any spectacular results.  The dining room is complete, though, and we have made progress on the storage level.

Vabok Rullokum was quite excited when he returned to the fortress about a week ago from the brook, carrying his first catch: two fine salmon.  He is headed back out now to see if he can catch some more.  Whatever other problems we may have, it seems we will not have to worry about starvation here.
Timothy Collett

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
1st Hematite, 1051

The month of Felsite was uneventful. We continue work on the storage level, and I have ordered a fishery constructed.

Hopefully this summer will bring us some more brave souls willing to work hard for the glory of Redstaff.
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
How can you tell what time/month it is? :o

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
How can you tell what time/month it is? :o

It shows in various places. The [z] status screen is the one I use most often, but it shows up in the [r]eport screen and the [a]nnouncement screen as well.
Timothy Collett