Author Topic: Semantic Lists only partially working  (Read 7796 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Semantic Lists only partially working
« Topic Start: January 09, 2013, 04:22:45 AM »
Both the realm template and the region template is not working properly. The only issue with the region template is it doesn't show the economy. The issue with the realm box template is that it doesn't update in regards to regions. The regions aren't adding or removing when they should and it is not updating who the lord is. (This is based off of D'hara's realm page and I glanced at several regions of D'hara.)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Semantic Lists only partially working
« Reply #1: January 09, 2013, 04:32:58 AM »
The out of date data is due to the (poor) interaction of the external data feed and the semantic wiki. Long story short: They don't play together well. I had been manually starting a semantic update every few days for quite a while, but stopped early last year when life got crazy... I started one now. Maybe I can remember to do one every now and then. This is why the various realm pages are showing out of date information.

The Economy portion of the Region pages is, at the moment, irrelevant. It is a partially implemented system that never made it into actual use. It is there now just for flavor text, I suppose.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 09, 2013, 04:47:04 AM »
The out of date data is due to the (poor) interaction of the external data feed and the semantic wiki. Long story short: They don't play together well. I had been manually starting a semantic update every few days for quite a while, but stopped early last year when life got crazy... I started one now. Maybe I can remember to do one every now and then. This is why the various realm pages are showing out of date information.

The Economy portion of the Region pages is, at the moment, irrelevant. It is a partially implemented system that never made it into actual use. It is there now just for flavor text, I suppose.
So the realm page should be updated or at least it will soonish? As to the economy portion, I know that courtiers can read that text and though it may only be flavor text it is also good for RP, plus what's so bad about flavor text? Lastly related to the economy portion, what was it originally supposed to do?

Edit: Weirdly enough the realm council page does update automatically which is surprising considering what you said.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:50:35 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: January 09, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
It's less surprising if you know how it works.

The semantic data is loaded from the game when the page it is on is reloaded/viewed. The list pages do not trigger a refresh. So if region A is conquered, the wiki will be out of date until someone visits the region page.

Well, basically. There's a bit more going on.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 09, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »
The semantic data is loaded from the game when the page it is on is reloaded/viewed. The list pages do not trigger a refresh. So if region A is conquered, the wiki will be out of date until someone visits the region page.
Merely displaying the page doesn't refresh the semantic data associated with the page. You have to actually trigger an edit/save, or flush the page render cache.

Viewing a page with an expired cache will trigger a refresh of the semantic query. But if the semantic data on the queried pages is out of date, then the results of the semantic query will still return old data.

Well, basically. There's a bit more going on.
Yep, I recall that it took us a while to find out how this works. Turns out that it's a known deficiency of using the combination of external data and semantic data.

But it's important for people to know that merely viewing a page will not refresh semantic data that is derived from the external data feed. The region box info will *look* correct on the page, but the semantic data stored for the page will not be updated without an edit/save action.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 15, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »
It seems to me that whatever Indirik is doing to update the info could be automated. A simple script that goes through the motions runs every day or some such... How, exactly, is Indirik updating the semantic data for ALL pages? If he is literally clicking edit/save for every region, that is just crazy! I am sure he has a slicker way...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 15, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
It seems to me that whatever Indirik is doing to update the info could be automated. A simple script that goes through the motions runs every day or some such... How, exactly, is Indirik updating the semantic data for ALL pages? If he is literally clicking edit/save for every region, that is just crazy! I am sure he has a slicker way...
From the sounds of it he basically does the equalivent to clicking a button that says update. The issue is, is that the stuff providing the info and the wiki don't get along because its supposed to be automated but because of the issues he must click update or whatever so that it happens.
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 15, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
There is an admin interface for the semantic wiki that has an "Update" button. Then every time someone access a page, the wiki updates a certain number of pages. (I don't know many, that's a lower level setting set in a config file.) The process can take a couple days to run, depending on the level of wiki use. I used to try to remember to click the button a couple times a week.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 17, 2013, 06:19:07 AM »
It really sounds like something that could be automated...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 17, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »
It really sounds like something that could be automated...
*facepalms* Its supposed to be but the automation doesn't work, I believe.
― G.K. Chesterton