Author Topic: Lots of spambot accounts?  (Read 27683 times)

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of spambot accounts?
« Reply #15: August 04, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
I have a somewhat of a simple solution, goes along with the wiki team idea.

In order to make an account it has to be approved by a wiki Administrator, you would be encouraged to make an account in accordance with your battle master family last name or Forum name for verification before being approved.

so let the spam bots make away it'll never get approved without proper verification.

Good Idea. +1
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #16: August 04, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »
Seems like a lot of work for the administrator, as well as slower access time for legitimate users.  Any comments on these two aspects?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 04, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »
Well not entirely, for pure example say a wiki account tries to register named Velax since it has to be the forum name or the family name I message him on the forums asking if it's him, he verifies then I approve the account that entire process will take more than likely less than 24 hours.

At most I e-mail him in which case it could be handled slightly above 24 hours.

It's not like account making is the Mexico/US border I wouldn't expect it to be that busy.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #18: August 04, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
It's not a lot of work for the person registering, but it's a pain and an unnecessary hassle to have to wait a few days depending on the activity of the administrator to edit a wiki, especially a wiki that is not high traffic as you stated.

It is a lot of work for the administrator.  It will quickly turn to a boring and repetitive task, with no real purpose.  If they want to spend that time they might as well look for better ways to fix the spam detection or manually delete the spam accounts.

I still do not see the benefit of adding another layer of administration.  Having the players re-register on different sites (forum, game, wiki) is onerous enough.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 04, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
Tom's Bad Behavior extension blocks a ridiculous amount of wiki spam. I imagine it's the reason all those spambot accounts never manage to actually get any spam onto the wiki.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #20: August 04, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »
If there were a way to link the various sites... but I've tried several, even writing my own. :-(

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 05, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
I've been running on-line services for 15 years and in my experience the best way to combat 95% of spam bots is to simply block the /24 ip range at the firewall.

Another idea, check the referring url, if the person is signing up for an account, but the referring url is not from the wiki, it's a bot.  A few lines of php can do this.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 09, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
The number of junk accounts signing up too the wiki is pretty amazing. BadBehaviour is doing an exceptional job of keeping out the edits, though. Tom, have you considered implementing the TitleBlacklist extension? A regex that forbids an account name from ending in two or more numbers would really cut down on the number of junk accounts.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: August 09, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 09, 2012, 07:13:06 PM »
Well, let's give it a day or two and see what happens. I'm not all that good with regexes.

egamma

« Reply #25: August 10, 2012, 06:57:23 AM »
Well, let's give it a day or two and see what happens. I'm not all that good with regexes.

I hate them...but I can do pretty well with them. Let me know if you need help.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 10, 2012, 03:26:45 PM »

This will match only the last 2 digits if they are numbers:

/[0-9]{2}$/

So it may look like this:
Code: [Select]
$username="fish23";

if (preg_match_all('/[0-9]{2}$/i', $username, $result)==1)
{
echo "Match found";
}
else
{
echo "no match found";
}

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 10, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
What I was thinking may be useful would be for the string to match if the username ends in two or more numbers. Not exactly two, but two or more.

I've also included the public blacklist here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Title_blacklist

Does that mean that the regexes on the wikimedia page will also be used by our wiki?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 10, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
in that case, /[0-9][0-9]+$/i should do the trick.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #29: August 10, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
Does that mean that the regexes on the wikimedia page will also be used by our wiki?

Yes. We're not the only wiki getting spams, so why not profit from other peoples' experiences?