Author Topic: A new subclass of voluntary weakness - marked for death  (Read 10045 times)

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Inspired by the discussion of when to retire a character, and idea occurred to me. Once a character is too old or otherwise ready to be retired, the player could choose a subclass that makes the character more vulnerable and creates a distinct possibility of death by game events.

The events that could get the character killed could include:
- being wounded in a battle (just like a hero)
- getting hit by an assassin
- losing an ordinary duel (much increased chance for death)
- getting tortured
- spending time in a dungeon
- getting hit by bandits
- random chance which increases by the age

The explanation would be that the character has gained some weakness, perhaps due to old age or some disease, or simply by the stress of burning the candle at both ends. What this option would provide is then a way for the player to make the death of his character more meaningful and more in synch with the actual in game interactions with the other players.

There would be many applications besides the wish to delete a character. Some could pick this subclass simply because they felt it to be a thrill to have a more vulnerable character. Some could choose this as rulers or other influential characters in order to make the game more rewarding for the infiltrators.

Instead of subclass, this could also be a box you could tick, or perhaps there could be a selection of boxes where you could determine which aspects of the game you would like to have an increased chance of getting your character killed. You could, for example, only add vulnerability to assassins.

Other than giving you more challenge, the feature would not gain you any other tangible benefit. It would be, at its essence, something that you give to the other players.

Zakilevo

I actually like this idea. It will give people different ways to end their character.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I like this too, perhaps would help those people who some unable to "wrap up" a character's story with whom they are finished with.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
I certainly love this. The only reason my characters are not all heroes is because that forbids me from having other sub-classes.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I completely agree with the above, this is a brilliant idea.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
So, which would be better - a subclass or some tick box arrangement?

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
Tick box would be ideal I think
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Make it a secret option that is not visible to other players.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

Make it a secret option that is not visible to other players.

+1.

This would be great--infiltrators could actually kill people!

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
I love this idea and agree with making it both a check box (as opposed to a subclass) and making it invisible to other players.

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Love. Random death generator for people who don't want to just kill off their characters.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Absolutely. This is how I would end all my characters.

Secret tick box would be ideal.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
I'd love a mortality tick box combined with some honour/prestige bump.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Hmm, mayby this could be so that you check the box, you get +1 hour every turn. Live fast, die fast! :)

It would encourage people to check it up, but still wont force them to do it... but especially old chars start to feel tempted to check it while they limb few regions behind main army :P
~Violence is always an option!~

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Though it would be nice to give incentives to old characters to tick it that option would make people check it when safe and uncheck it before battle, abusing the system. The extra H/P makes sense because as long as tied to battle. Edit: Gaining H/P for surviving assassinations (since they'd imply a real chance of death) would also be nice.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:22:18 PM by JPierreD »
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).