Author Topic: What a lord expects of his vassals in region description?  (Read 4337 times)

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Would it be appropriate for a lord to enter a few lines to his region description about what he expects of his knights?

"Lord Kepler of Keplerville is known of always expecting his knights to be generous towards their peers."

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
"Lord Kepler of Keplerville's knights are known for always expecting their lord to be stingy towards his vassals."

I think these conversations belong in actual conversations, since lords/knights change much more often than region descriptions.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
description is of the region, not of any lord...
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Would it be appropriate for a lord to enter a few lines to his region description about what he expects of his knights?

"Lord Kepler of Keplerville is known of always expecting his knights to be generous towards their peers."

No, this is absolutely, completely inappropriate.

The description is of the region. Not of the Lord. Not even of the region as held by the realm. It is meant to give a general description of some areas within the region, and what the region itself is like. It should not have to be changed because the region changes hands.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I like to think of the region description as a kind of tiny Wikipedia entry on the region that should only detail basic geographic, cultural and/or economic information.

Political information should be shied away from in most instances, and any direct info about a Lord or Knight/Person should always be avoided.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Oh well, I suppose there is then no place for such information at the moment. At least I can not think of any. Wiki perhaps, on a family page, but who would find that. Still I suppose that's something.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Oh well, I suppose there is then no place for such information at the moment. At least I can not think of any. Wiki perhaps, on a family page, but who would find that. Still I suppose that's something.

Why are you not simply discussing these expectations directly with your vassals? That seems much simpler and a sure-fire way to ensure the vassal reads it.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Why are you not simply discussing these expectations directly with your vassals? That seems much simpler and a sure-fire way to ensure the vassal reads it.

I assume he doesn't want to re-write them each time he gets a new vassal.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I assume he doesn't want to re-write them each time he gets a new vassal.

Stick 'em in Evernote, copy, paste. That's what I've done with a number of frequently-repeatable message templates.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Stick 'em in Evernote, copy, paste. That's what I've done with a number of frequently-repeatable message templates.

Maybe an automatic message nobles receive when taking an estate in a region (to be written by the region's lord) would solve it?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Solve what? I don't see where's any actual problem here.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Before, a lord would have to actively extend an offer, and likely a personal message as well explaining his expectations of his knights.  Now knights freely take up estates.

Though I guess the lord would get a report when someone does take up the estate, but obviously his expectations of his knights should be accessible before a knight chooses an estate.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
If the knight wants to know before he takes the estate, then he can message the lord. And if the lord wants to talk to the prospective knight first, then don't leave empty estates sitting around.

Srsly, what's the problem here?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Alright, "problem" might not have been the right word. Perhaps "nice addition" would describe it better.