Author Topic: Fake religion  (Read 18849 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Fake religion
« Reply #30: July 11, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »
That's a nice sentiment, but based on what feyeleanor has been saying, people have been trying to do exactly that for years without success.

The problem with "you have to handle that sort of thing IG" is that the type of people who are willing to bend the rules like this tend to be the type of people who are also willing to min/max and, well, bend the rules in other ways, just to get ahead.

And when a realm that's already more powerful than the others around it takes a measure like this to "protect" itself from foreign religions, you have a recipe for a middle finger to the notion of RP and in-game common sense that just gets to sit there and show how useless those ideas are when they are left to the players to enforce for everything short of a blatant violation of the IR or Social Contract.

Although personally, I think it falls squarely under the "fair play" clause of the Social Contract, like many similar "well, nothing says I can't do it, so screw you" issues.

I think the frustration you are suggesting that you feel regarding the ability of the community to self-police is a bigger issue.  The Magistrates have a specific role, which we should try to adhere to. Taking on cases too far outside of our mandate is a Pandora's Box and will only encourage people to open more cases that have little or nothing to do with the IRs or the Social Contract and put us in a pretty serious gray area where we become a sort of vehicle to bring about Battlemaster The Way It Should Be™.

If Tom sees something that he feels should be covered by a rule, he can make new ones. Clearly that's not off the table considering his last post  :) If he proceeds, then this case would have merit under the new rule, though I'm not sure how we would enforce a ruling against the religion. What exactly would they have to do to come into compliance? Reimagine the religion as an actual religion? Or tear it all down and start over?