Author Topic: forceful deportation violation on EC?  (Read 8028 times)

BattleMaster Server

forceful deportation violation on EC?
« Topic Start: July 11, 2012, 09:50:41 PM »
Summary:forceful deportation violation on EC?
Violation:violating previous punishment
World:East Continent
Complainer:Nate Michael
About:Caeranor Saegarus

Full Complaint Text:
http://battlemaster.org/UserDetails.php?ID=30651

2012-03-27      Caeranor Saegarus      Began his career in Fontan.

2012-04-22      Caeranor Saegarus      Forcefully deported by a GameMaster to Far East.

2012-04-25      Caeranor Saegarus      Joined the realm of Arcaea

2012-05-12      Caeranor Saegarus      Immigrated to East Continent.

2012-05-14      Caeranor Saegarus      Joined the realm of Fontan

Now, I don't know if this is an actual violation, or more like a "he done his time/paid his debt to BM society" sort of thing, but I figured I'd bring it up just in case.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: forceful deportation violation on EC?
« Reply #1: July 11, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »
Note that the time between emigration and re-immigration is barely over the 2 week requirement.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 12, 2012, 01:43:58 AM »
This appears to be an oversight. We ruled against this a while ago; he should have been deported. Will get to it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: July 12, 2012, 03:56:14 AM »
Pretty sure he was supposed to stay in another continent for at least 6 months.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: July 12, 2012, 08:08:07 AM »
Pretty sure he was supposed to stay in another continent for at least 6 months.

Again: Was that part of the actual verdict or only discussed in the backroom?

egamma

« Reply #5: July 12, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »
"A dev investigation has revealed evidence of a clan in the form of uncanny gold distribution patterns, a history of one group of players acting in unbroken unity across numerous realms and continents, that same group practicing IG clan-actions such as clan-only armies, collective migration/character creation, and possibly clan-restrictions on title access. Given that these practices constitute a violation of the Social Contract, namely, a commitment to valuing fair play more than victory or power, and to playing Battlemaster as you would a board game with friends, the Magistrates find that there is a clan active related to Aurvandil and Fontan which is substantively diminishing the game experience of Battlemaster for other players. As the specific complaint was raised in regards to players with characters in Aurvandil also having characters in Fontan, only those characters and players shall be directly punished. However, the Magistrates have also found this clan to be active, in varying degrees and in varying ways, historically, in Arcachon, Averoth, and Thulsoma. While all players are welcome to play Battlemaster with friends, we also expect all players to invest in a constructive gaming community: and that means not always playing with the same clan of friends. The Magistrates have thus elected to deport the characters of clan members from some realms in which they are active, especially Fontan. The dev team will handle the deportation, and the specific list of characters to be deported.

The goal of this unusual action is to compel the members of this clan to try playing the game separately, as individuals, rather than as a collective that plays the game primarily as a group. As it is their collectivist approach to conflict and power that creates the violations that we have determined exist, we believe that this is the best option to correct the situation and it is our hope that these players can learn to enjoy the game as it was meant to be."

Magistrates voted 5-1 in favor of a guilty verdict, and 4-2 in favor of deportation as a punishment.

No, a 6 month period is not part of the punishment text. However, there are these two cases similar to this one:

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2495.0.html
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2476.0.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:45:09 AM by egamma »

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 13, 2012, 03:38:59 AM »
Again: Was that part of the actual verdict or only discussed in the backroom?

Yes, redeportation is in the verdict. I don't know how many times this has been repeated.

I guess you disagree with the Magistrate verdict; fine. But if anytime you dislike our verdict its just not going to be enforced, then there's no point in having the Magistrates.

To reiterate, here is the verdict in question (emphasis added):

"As Reece Cordon has chosen to violate the clear intent of the previous Magistrate ruling relating to him, which flouts the community standards set in the Social Contract, the Magistrates have elected to continue deporting the characters in question.

"The goal of this unusual action is to compel the members of this clan to try playing the game separately, as individuals, rather than as a collective that plays the game primarily as a group. As it is their collectivist approach to conflict and power that creates the violations that we have determined exist, we believe that this is the best option to correct the situation and it is our hope that these players can learn to enjoy the game as it was meant to be. Further violations of this decision will result in further punishment. "

So are the devs going to enforce the deportation or not?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 13, 2012, 03:57:07 AM »
So are the devs going to enforce the deportation or not?
Only two people have the ability to force deport characters. And of those, only Tom has the authority to do so on his own. Since you have found the respective part of the verdict that specifies continued deportation, Tom will almost certainly stick with your verdict. Send him a PM or an e-mail with the details. Sometimes it can just be hard to get his attention.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: July 13, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Yes, redeportation is in the verdict. I don't know how many times this has been repeated.

Probably every time, because I have half a million things on my mind right now and remembering Magistrate decision details is very low on the list. Please don't mistake my honesty for disdain, nothing would be further from the truth. I'm not questioning the Magistrates, I honestly wasn't sure.

I guess you disagree with the Magistrate verdict; fine. But if anytime you dislike our verdict its just not going to be enforced, then there's no point in having the Magistrates.

I don't disagree. See above.

Yes, the devs will support this. If not me than someone else.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: July 13, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
You have put Caeranor Saegarus on a ship to Beluaterra, hopefully never to see him again.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 14, 2012, 12:45:37 AM »
Probably every time, because I have half a million things on my mind right now and remembering Magistrate decision details is very low on the list. Please don't mistake my honesty for disdain, nothing would be further from the truth. I'm not questioning the Magistrates, I honestly wasn't sure.

I don't disagree. See above.

Yes, the devs will support this. If not me than someone else.

WOnderful, thank you. Sorry for the frustrated tone. I just felt like I'd responded to that many times.

Which I imagine is rather the way you feel about most of those feature requests/bug reports... hmmm....

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #11: July 14, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
Hmm, and suddenly it's clear, all these years... 8)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.