Author Topic: Assassination!  (Read 32729 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Assassination!
« Reply #15: July 18, 2012, 02:46:55 AM »
This is not the war I expected to be having right now.

No. No, it was not.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 18, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
Should I be worried that you are suggesting you know what war I did think I would be involved in now?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 18, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
Should I be worried that you are suggesting you know what war I did think I would be involved in now?

Hey, I was also expecting wars. Maybe not the one you were expecting but this was literally the very last possible combination of combatants I could have predicted.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 18, 2012, 06:57:57 AM »
I can safely say that very few people did, and that if it actually results in war, it will be deeply ironic.

We are probably thinking of different possible wars, though.  I'm not surprised that others were planning things as well.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 18, 2012, 07:00:28 AM »
I can safely say that very few people did, and that if it actually results in war, it will be deeply ironic.

We are probably thinking of different possible wars, though.  I'm not surprised that others were planning things as well.

Not exactly like your not-so-secret planned war isn't still possible in the current political climate.

*cough*

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 18, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
Huh.  Interesting.

Regardless of if you're thinking about the same one as me, I'd rather not be fighting two foes at once.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 18, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »

Best laid plans and all. It sure wasnt expected, but I cant say it hasnt been close once before or even bound to happen eventually.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: July 18, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »
This is not the war I expected to be having right now.

That's because you took too long to get your war started. If you discuss something for weeks and months on end without actually doing anything, there's a pretty big chance something unexpected is going to disrupt your plans.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 19, 2012, 02:31:05 AM »
Actually this particular war has not been in the plans for very long.  I think about three weeks?  I'm not sure exactly.

It's certainly been contemplated before, actually almost happened before, but this is the first it's been seriously considered for quite a while.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: July 19, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »
Bah!  Someone shoot me a PM about what's going on, I can't take the suspense.  I want to move already so I can get back in the game!!!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 19, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »
Actually this particular war has not been in the plans for very long.  I think about three weeks?  I'm not sure exactly.

It's certainly been contemplated before, actually almost happened before, but this is the first it's been seriously considered for quite a while.

Even with the "most likely" war happening soon, your war is still possible to wage now. In fact, it would probably be the VERY best time to do it. No allies, no enemies, just a good o'l 1 vs 1.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 19, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
Unless, of course, we get dragged into the 'most likely war.'

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: July 20, 2012, 07:40:39 AM »
Anyone send you that PM yet, Bedwyr?

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 20, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »
Unless, of course, we get dragged into the 'most likely war.'

For a realm that wants to punish the dishonorable - to the point where you turn on one ally - you do a poor job at picking the right side. That is, if you take the side I think you'll take.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: July 20, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
Meh. Like most wars, both sides are at fault to a degree. The assassination attempt was by a Kindaran, and a relative of the host duke. And they were, perhaps, a bit slow to punish the assassin. And Galiard is obviously the wounded party, but his demands went much too far. Demanding that Kindara's ruler crawl on his knees into Cathay's palace and beg forgiveness? That wasn't ever going to happen. If someone demanded that of Velax, he'd declare war on them just on principle.