Author Topic: Regarding Winter.  (Read 17276 times)

Vessol

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Winter.
« Reply #15: July 18, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
So this is turning out to be fairly entertaining. Being ordered to attack and loot enemy regions for food. Scouting out regions that are not starving yet. Cutting down filthy peasants that dare to revolt.
Mithridates Family: Vessol (Nivemus), Samos (Farronite Republic)
The White Tree Times, Newspaper for the East Continent
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/The_White_Tree_Times

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 18, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »
It was fun actually, political intrugue over food sells, cities going hungry. C'mon, who can predict when a season ends.

If it gets implemented that we won't be able to know how fast or slow a season ends, it would be great fun. Thoughts?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 18, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »
I disagree. I know of at least one war and several TOs that were put on hold specifically because of the season.

Sell what food you want, but I'd rather see BattleMaster than FoodMaster...
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 18, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »
So this is turning out to be fairly entertaining. Being ordered to attack and loot enemy regions for food. Scouting out regions that are not starving yet. Cutting down filthy peasants that dare to revolt.

I agree with ^ban^, but I also think the above statement is exactly what Tom and the dev team have been trying to encourage. Everything in BM is just an excuse to prosecute war by other means.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 18, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »
I disagree. I know of at least one war and several TOs that were put on hold specifically because of the season.

Sell what food you want, but I'd rather see BattleMaster than FoodMaster...

The wars and TOs were put on hold not because it was winter, but because there is an expectation of spring. If we were in an eternal winter, or one that stopped at random dates, then I bet the wars would not stop.

That being said... I prefer playing Battlemaster than GameofthronesMaster.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 18, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
Tell that to all the Starks out there :P

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 18, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
Tell that to all the Starks out there :P

Yeah, Gustav even has a pet wolf!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #22: July 18, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
*Hides in shame* I'm not that bad! I just like direwolves, is all...

Also, just a note, Shadow may or may not become a demon's toothpick.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 19, 2012, 04:38:31 AM »
Wars would occur with perpetual winter, but there is no food production in winter.  So all regions would starve.
Does anyone have reserves?  My region can last another 10 days.  Most regions around me are already starting to starve.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: July 19, 2012, 05:31:47 AM »
I thought the unpredictable weather was awesome. Really felt the pressure near the end there.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #25: July 19, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
Adding a random factor to season lengths is easy. What's not so easy and requires additional coding is a "year counter" so that the length of a year does not vary, even though seasons do.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 19, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »
Adding a random factor to season lengths is easy. What's not so easy and requires additional coding is a "year counter" so that the length of a year does not vary, even though seasons do.

Well, I really wouldn't mind if the years didn't have all the same days! The years begin with the spring and end with the winter, easy!   :P

and The Romans changed 'his years' more than once, so I don't see the problem with a bit of 'variety'  ;D

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: July 19, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
The Romans may have changed the calendar, but not the number of days it takes the earth to go around the sun. Which is what matters.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #28: July 19, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »

At the first day of spring (or summer or whatever the first season is after you calculate), calculate the length of the 4 seasons, ensuring that the total length of the 4 seasons is the same. Then, you can calculate the next 4 seasons, and so on.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: July 19, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
egamma,

would you not then always know the length of the last season when you knew the length of the third one?