Author Topic: More power to Bankers  (Read 16565 times)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
More power to Bankers
« Topic Start: July 17, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
I'm experiencing some troubles with the new food system, and reached a point where, as a banker, I"m just feeling useless. Because of that, I believe the banker should have more power, to arrange the food system, withim the realm.

What I'm saying is, as the Judge has the power to hold courts in any place, the Banker should have enough power to post trade offers, or to determine food transfers. In my land, the people is just forgetting to post offers, reaching a situation where a land has a storage of almost a thousand bunshels, and other a starvation classified as horrible.

I"m not asking, of course, for full power. This should be balanced by other things, like the Judge receiving notifications and cancelling arbitrary food transfers.

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: More power to Bankers
« Reply #1: July 18, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
Alasteir has a point here... A Judge can hold court for a region if they are in said region.  How about allowing the Banker to sell or purchase food for a region if they are in that region?

Otherwise IMHO you can almost remove the banker from the mix.
Forbes Family

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 18, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
My Banker in Eston frequently complains now-a-days that he really doesn't know what his job is anymore since the update.  :-\
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 19, 2012, 12:04:31 AM »
his job? arrange deals with other realms for his traders

seriously... it's outrageous that a banker would be able to take someone's food.

unless it's akin to cooking the books (ie.. stealing) and can be caught doing so... with consequences... (except banker has nowhere to store the food... so need to think up details for how to make it work.)

.. allowing a lord to make banker his steward would make sense though...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:06:41 AM by fodder »
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 19, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »
Again: Look at the General. He's got practically no buttons he can push.

Do you think he's useless?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 19, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »
Again: Look at the General. He's got practically no buttons he can push.

Do you think he's useless?

Every realm needs a general to work up an over all plan and work with their allies.

Few realms actually need a banker to organize any food trades because the realm can feed itself and the dukes and city lords are the ones who end up doing most of the work with regard to making the food move inside the realm. Bankers just don't have that much to do in most realms and comparing them to the general is just silly because of the difference in need.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 19, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »
I'd say that the General comparison simply doesn't work here. A general manages multiple armies and makes final decisions on strategy for them. (I'd also say General is essentially useless in single army realms)

A banker is technically supposed to manage multiple traders/lords for food management. However, any self-respecting lord that doesn't already know whether he needs food or produces food is useless to the realm, and you can't really manage traders, they already know what they're doing. Simply put, a banker who isn't a trader is pretty much useless. At least on Atamara.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 19, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »
Alasteir has a point here... A Judge can hold court for a region if they are in said region.  How about allowing the Banker to sell or purchase food for a region if they are in that region?

Otherwise IMHO you can almost remove the banker from the mix.
Thats too powerful though. IMHO, what would be balanced is if the banker could buy food for a region when it is starving,  and be able to sell food that is not within the granaries. He buys with his own gold bonds, and gold from the food sold still goes to the region lord so the banker doesn't get rich from selling other lords food. He would also be required to be in the region.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 19, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »
I still support a "let the banker manage my food" button for lords.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 19, 2012, 01:17:17 AM »
I still support a "let the banker manage my food" button for lords.

Absolutely, and this should grant them the full same rights as the lord. Including trading when not in that region.

This keeps getting proposed and seeing some traction, but I've never seen a yes or no on it.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #10: July 19, 2012, 01:27:13 AM »
Will realms require lords to check that box?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 19, 2012, 01:28:50 AM »

Is it wrong if they do? Seeing as it can't be enforced to make them.

I see nothing wrong with having a requirement like that in place IF the lords don't properly manage the regions on their own.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #12: July 19, 2012, 02:16:32 AM »
If implemented, there is no question of whether it can be enforced, for the banker can easily determine if it's the case.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 19, 2012, 02:19:06 AM »
Will realms require lords to place their knights in armies?

Will realms require lords to place their knights in specific armies?

Will realms require lords to join specific duchies?

Will realms require lords to sell food for a predetermined price?

Will realms require lords to appoint stewards?

Will realms require lords to sell food to specific cities?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #14: July 19, 2012, 03:37:15 AM »
I feel some pent up anger at the system here. ;)