Author Topic: More power to Bankers  (Read 16539 times)

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: More power to Bankers
« Reply #15: July 19, 2012, 03:42:40 AM »
Speaking from my former Banker character perspective.

Yes, many regions have been suffering starvation. We have traders yes, but without hardworking lords, even Bankers cannot force the lords to open the market. And the last I hear recently, there is a bug with our trading distance, for one of my character a Region Steward who is quite helpless to prevent starvation, he need go back to the capital city Marketplace just to sell food to other region. Received a too far distance and you-should-not-be-seeing-this-offer message.

It seems when we implement that new trading system, we are expecting lords to do most of the food trading tasks(manual) and we also expect the automatic set part(automatic). Problem is we did not realize many of us are lazy to lookup the daily market trading. So we have to rely on the automatic part of the new trading system.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 19, 2012, 03:57:31 AM »
And the last I hear recently, there is a bug with our trading distance, for one of my character a Region Steward who is quite helpless to prevent starvation, he need go back to the capital city Marketplace just to sell food to other region. Received a too far distance and you-should-not-be-seeing-this-offer message.
Yes, that is correct. There is a trading distance bug. I believe that all islands except Dwilight have, effectively, half the stated trading distance.

It seems when we implement that new trading system, we are expecting lords to do most of the food trading tasks(manual) and we also expect the automatic set part(automatic). Problem is we did not realize many of us are lazy to lookup the daily market trading. So we have to rely on the automatic part of the new trading system.
Lords don't have to check daily. Weekly, or when prompted by the banker would be fine. On tax day, check the warehouse. Is it filling up? Then take the 20 seconds/8 clicks to set a sell order. It is not hard, nor onerous, nor time consuming.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 19, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »
Lords don't have to check daily. Weekly, or when prompted by the banker would be fine. On tax day, check the warehouse. Is it filling up? Then take the 20 seconds/8 clicks to set a sell order. It is not hard, nor onerous, nor time consuming.

The problem is it is more time consuming than the previous "set one automatic transfer and then sit back and collect my increased pay cheque until I quit the game". Many region lords are still stuck in the old system.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 19, 2012, 04:03:38 AM »
I feel some pent up anger at the system here. ;)
Not from me. I'm merely pointing out many other situations where the lord has a specific power or option that the realm could seek or desire to control. Yet we don't soul search over any of these options, asking ourselves if the realm could possibly order a lord to do them, and punish them if not. When was the last time you heard of lords being fined or banned over putting nobles in specific armies? When was the last time a lord was banned for not appointing a steward, or a specific steward named by the banker? Or for not selling food at the specific, realm-determined price? (Well, that last one may happen, but I sure haven't heard any OOC outrage or complaints about it. Nor have I heard any IC attempts to regulate in-realm prices in the realms I am in. (Or at least not at any artificially, absurdly low price, anyway.))

Could the realm order any of the things that I listed above? Sure. So what? Sounds like a perfect excuse for a legitimate IC power struggle to me, not a reason to remove the option, or extend the OOC rules to protect the lords from it. Some of my characters might think "Sure, what the hell, I'll let the banker control the food." Others might flat out refuse.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 19, 2012, 04:05:32 AM »
Many region lords are still stuck in the old system.
Then send them a wake-up call.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 19, 2012, 04:07:16 AM »
While I think you all have great ideas. I have one myself. Back, back a long time ago was their not a royal granary?

Why not have the Banker be able to collect a percentage of the regions food every say tax day (propose between 1-3%)? It goes into the royal granary which is in the capital. He then has the option to use that food to make sure regions do not starve and such.

Sorry I know their are some kinks to this idea. I'm just putting it out there maybe later I can work through how it all works but hey its a start right. ;D
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 19, 2012, 04:11:02 AM »
I've never heard of any such option. But it does sound interesting.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #22: July 19, 2012, 04:24:56 AM »
By the way, most realms I've played in have enforced rates on food, usually 10-20 gold/100 bushels.

Rather than "please assign your knights to an army", this option is equivalent to "allow the general to assign your knights to armies at will".  So you see the difference here when it is required by the realm.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 19, 2012, 04:49:22 AM »
Royal Granary notes*

Rot % different than regions (higher)
Granary size - keep the same? possible bit larger or able to build more in Capital (maybe all cities?)
Access granted to only Banker
Banker can only set sell orders to buy they have to travel to the region themselves
Money from the banker trading goes toward the realm?

Been toying with the idea in my head about a Royal treasury that only Ruler and Banker can use. For instance, they manage royal fund etc. Banker can use for food and such and monitor and the Ruler can put in and take out up to a certain amount set by banker (Max 1000 or so depending on type of government). Dukes can request access possible also General.

Just a idea to get ball rolling. should I make feature request for Royal granary and Royal treasury?
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: July 19, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »
By the way, most realms I've played in have enforced rates on food, usually 10-20 gold/100 bushels.

Rather than "please assign your knights to an army", this option is equivalent to "allow the general to assign your knights to armies at will".  So you see the difference here when it is required by the realm.

A Tyranny should be allowed to order their lords to do whatever the Tyrant wants including giving banker full control of food.

In a republic or democracy, I would not be surprised if the Lords protested him out of office for it.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 19, 2012, 05:13:26 AM »
A Tyranny should be allowed to order their lords to do whatever the Tyrant wants including giving banker full control of food.

In a republic or democracy, I would not be surprised if the Lords protested him out of office for it.
Why even allow the ruler of a republic or democracy the ability?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 19, 2012, 05:15:00 AM »
Why even allow the ruler of a republic or democracy the ability?

It's not the ability of the ruler or banker. Its the ability of the lord to give their control to the banker. What I'm saying is that if a law were enacted within a republic or a democracy forcing the lords to do so.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: July 19, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »
The government style should not stop you from doing something. It's the characters that should stop you from doing something.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 19, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »
What about general? He can't do much in terms of game mechanics.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: July 19, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
So far as I know, none of the five realms I play in have enforced food prices.

Maybe you shouldn't play in such authoritarian realms. ;)

In effect, there is little difference between "Let me do it for you or you will be banned" and "Do it this way or you will be banned". In both cases, the lord has lost control, and his authority usurped by the realm. They both equate to "Do what we tell you or else".