Author Topic: More power to Bankers  (Read 16566 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: More power to Bankers
« Reply #30: July 20, 2012, 02:13:02 AM »
What about general? He can't do much in terms of game mechanics.
In terms of game mechanics, kinda, but to say they have little power is not true at all while saying bankers have little power is quite true.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: July 20, 2012, 04:23:20 AM »
Maybe this should be something that changes based on the 'Power level' set for the Banker?

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: July 20, 2012, 04:24:42 AM »
Maybe this should be something that changes based on the 'Power level' set for the Banker?

Why?

If a lord wants to give a banker control of his region's food, why should it matter what "power level" the banker has been designated by the ruler. This would be a lord giving his power to the banker personally.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: July 20, 2012, 04:29:15 AM »
Why?

If a lord wants to give a banker control of his region's food, why should it matter what "power level" the banker has been designated by the ruler. This would be a lord giving his power to the banker personally.
I was thinking if the realm had a 'strong' banker according to the realm structure then it wouldn't matter what the Lord wants, the Banker could control food for the whole realm.

But, in your suggestion: then why not let Lords set anyone else in the realm they want to be their steward? Then they could let the Banker or their priest or whoever they want be in charge of handling food for their region.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: July 20, 2012, 04:36:15 AM »
I was thinking if the realm had a 'strong' banker according to the realm structure then it wouldn't matter what the Lord wants, the Banker could control food for the whole realm.

This would probably be rejected, but who knows. I also am not in favor of it personally.

But, in your suggestion: then why not let Lords set anyone else in the realm they want to be their steward? Then they could let the Banker or their priest or whoever they want be in charge of handling food for their region.

Because then Dukes could demand to be given stewardship which destroys the game relations. At least with Banker there is a reasonable reason to do so not purely motivated by in game power.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: July 20, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »

That feature currently has no effects.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: July 20, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »
Well, the banker is Solaria is quite powerful even without any additional buttons to push. But then again, it's a tyranny, so controversies are perhaps a bit easier to deal with. ;)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #37: July 20, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
Huh?  How could Solari let that happen?  Down with all with power in Solaria!
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: July 20, 2012, 07:27:55 AM »
That feature currently has no effects.

Yeah, I know. But, if it did, this could be one effect that could be variable based on how much power the realm vests in its banker. Some realms will not want to put that much power in the hands of one person while some realms might be comfortable doing so.

Banker Power:
Strong: Banker can make trades as if he was the steward of all regions in the realm.
Balanced: Regions can choose whether or not to make the Banker steward of their region.
Weak: Banker can't make trades as if he was steward of all regions nor can region lords assign him the power.

Because then Dukes could demand to be given stewardship which destroys the game relations. At least with Banker there is a reasonable reason to do so not purely motivated by in game power.

Right now the Dukes can demand you sell to them food at specific prices. But, if a Duke is unreasonable you can change duchies or change realms and find a realm that isn't so tyrannical. I don't see how this would destroy game relations.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: July 20, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »
I feel some pent up anger at the system here. ;)

From a Dev, no less. :p

If it's not a part of the IR, it's really a matter of "what will my fellow nobles let me get away with?"
------
qui audet vincit

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: July 20, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
Huh?  How could Solari let that happen?  Down with all with power in Solaria!

I'm the banker.

:B
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: July 20, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
  A trade system based on just food is boring. Now as for banker, well, he can't really do anything about food deliveries expet make sugestions and hope the region lords listen.
General is no diferent. So what if he can give orders? If the nobles don't obey he can't do anything about it, exept maybe complain about how useless everyone is.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: July 21, 2012, 01:47:39 AM »
  A trade system based on just food is boring. Now as for banker, well, he can't really do anything about food deliveries expet make sugestions and hope the region lords listen.
General is no diferent. So what if he can give orders? If the nobles don't obey he can't do anything about it, exept maybe complain about how useless everyone is.
Hmm, start fining lords for not listening to the banker is what I am hearing.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: July 22, 2012, 01:10:41 AM »
As Perth's frustrated banker, let me give you how the frustration came to be.

I love(d) trading, and under the old system, the majority of regions had food set to automatically be available for sale, and it was like this for years.  I knew my travelling route, I could pick up and move food, make sure our allies could arrange pickups, and make sure our surplus stayed healthy.  This system worked very well.

I did this for two years without having to ask local lords for help.  They were happy because they made gold off their surplus food, and I was happy because I kept everyone fed.

Now, they have to micro manage the duties I used to.  The black market is useless (and I did use it, and ended up in my own kingdoms jail because of it - thank you for the pardon King Jean!)  But, when push came to shove, I could forcefully move food if I had to (which I rarely did).

The new system comes in and I see 5000 units of food surrounding areas that are now starving.  I can't use the black market to move them and requests to local lords come back with "You're not my Duke".  So, after a few days talking with Dukes, who are very helpful, I watch a major city continue to starve.
Add to it that everyone is deployed for war and there is no market close enough to safely ask our army Marshal's to allow a few region lords to leave to set up offers.

So, my role now is to keep the Duke's informed of my food report and hope for the best.  Again, they are very helpful, but my previous ability to spend my own time to keep my realm fed is completely gone.  The Banker has become a decentralized position that most region lords want no part it.

Even bringing back the automatically sell surplus food would greatly increase my abilities to perform my job. 

I understand that things change, and I accept it and will adapt, but as it is now,  I have the responsibility to feed the nation, but not the authority to do so.

Cheers,
Scott

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: July 22, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
I do like the Royal Granary with increased rot (as food will rot on the way to the granary).

I'd also like the ability for Bankers to build marketplaces in any region. (perhaps a trading post in rural areas where marketplaces are not currently allowed)

cheers,
Scott