Author Topic: Faery Tale Online  (Read 206669 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Faery Tale Online
« Reply #525: November 14, 2012, 04:37:57 AM »
I didn't read his story. I just found the information pagees very helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vessol

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #526: November 14, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
As said earlier, most there just want to play house.

Roleplay that would break from this is generally frowned upon. The game has about a dozen different races, all with different characteristics that could lead to some interesting cultures and roleplay. I tried setting up one race to be a bunch of xenophobic racists through a religion I developed and taught all the children of this race as they grew up. Unfortunately, most people had OOC friends who were of other races nearby, so they decided that racism is bad and that you should go over and mate with every other race. It's been the same on any other character I've played where I tried to make things different.

In my observations over most of the period of time, with the exception of some ice elves who were brutal and uncaring and mermaids who had no familial unit, the most unique differences between cultures was what you called your 'Mother' and 'Father', Di=Father, for example.

As for the situation with Vaylon. Vaylon was extremely immature and emotional in how he handled the situation and because he was friends with most of the chat playerbase, most of them followed him. Lumin had his own problems and he handled a number of things badly, particularly with the plague that he added to kill off older characters.

Lumin wanted a dynamic game where people built towns, went on adventures, went to war, arranged marriages, etc. He wanted a game that would generated interesting and varied stories and history in a wholly player created world. You can tell that from how he describes it on the front page.

In reality it's a game that's played by a bunch of people who treat it like a forum roleplaying chatroom who all want to be perfect hippies who do not want to anything else but sit around and gossip, have babies, and feed babies.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:45:43 PM by Vessol »
Mithridates Family: Vessol (Nivemus), Samos (Farronite Republic)
The White Tree Times, Newspaper for the East Continent
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/The_White_Tree_Times

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #527: November 14, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
With permadeath, being very gun-shy with your characters is inevitable. It makes the game *very* susceptible to griefers and trolls. I doubt you could truly develop a world the way Lumin was trying to get without some way to make characters very hardy and hard to kill.

Vessol

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #528: November 14, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
True. The main issue I think is that people are born as newborns. While it would be awkward, it would have been greatly improved if people were born at age 13. They still have the ability and time to develop a character.

This would address the two main issues with the game.

1. Being a baby and a child is generally pretty boring. Especially the first 5 years which is a RL month. Most players just stop playing.
2. It requires generally 2 months for your character to be able to reproduce. This, and the many players who get bored from ages 0-5, is why the birth queue is so slow and time consuming.

If you make it so its easier to get into the game and faster to get a character who is able to be almost fully developed, I'm sure people would be much more willing to be experimental.

Another big issue is the fact that making stuff, particularly food, is extremely time consuming. You have to manually start each project each RL hour. The crafting should allow food that can be used multiple times or makes multiple items. Or have crafting queues.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #529: November 15, 2012, 01:01:12 AM »
I think part of the reason roleplay is centered on "playing house" is that characters hardly make it to adulthood, so there is no chance for more elaborate stories.  People are not willing to experiment because they are afraid of having their characters or their colonies dying out.   

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #530: November 15, 2012, 02:29:46 AM »
What do you mean by hardly make it to adulthood? Do you mean that most of the infants born never wake up? That's because of the retarded queue system. Making people wait 3 or more months before they even get to play the first time is just stupid. "Hi, welcome to our game! We're really glad you decided to play, and we know you'll just love it. We're so glad you're here! Now, in 3 or 4 months we'll get in touch with you by e-mail so you can start playing your very first character!"

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #531: November 15, 2012, 02:36:18 AM »
What do you mean by hardly make it to adulthood? Do you mean that most of the infants born never wake up? That's because of the retarded queue system. Making people wait 3 or more months before they even get to play the first time is just stupid. "Hi, welcome to our game! We're really glad you decided to play, and we know you'll just love it. We're so glad you're here! Now, in 3 or 4 months we'll get in touch with you by e-mail so you can start playing your very first character!"

A more agile queue would make things better, that for sure. However, you can't handle that without making multiple births the rule. That is, if you want to keep the family concept.
D'Espana Family

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #532: November 15, 2012, 02:49:16 AM »
The easiest way, and something that could be done relatively quickly, is to give each child, in essence, several lives. If the account granted the child does not log in within three or four days, the child goes to the next person in the queue, and is recharged in health. Give each child three chances this way, and you drain the queue at least twice as fast, if not more. People get characters faster, and the effects of non-waking births are cut way down.

Also, make there some official method of giving up the character to adoption by another account. Click a link and the baby goes back into the queue. Maybe give people in the queue a check box to allow adoption of these babies up to one year old or something, so the hard-cores who want to RP getting born or some crap like that still can do it.

There's gotta be a dozen ways to speed up the queue and still give people the opportunity to RP crapping their diapers. It would do wonders for new player retention.

Of course, there's still the ass-hat community...

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #533: November 15, 2012, 03:00:54 AM »
That's a pretty nice set of ideas. A pity we have no one to give them to...
D'Espana Family

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #534: November 15, 2012, 03:10:39 AM »
I mentioned these on the Facebook group. The response was basically: "We've already had all these ideas, and they won't work because (insert inane reason here). And even if they would, they won't get in because the game creator has abandoned the game. So, go away."

There are quite a few people in this game who wield their insane queue wait time as a badge of honor. It's like a hazing ritual to them. They had to live through it, so you have to do it, too.

Also, I wonder how many people really play this game. I know that quite a few people in the Facebook group play multiple accounts. Let's say there are 20 colonies, each with 30 characters. That's 600 characters in the game. But with 3 characters per account, that's only 200 people. Add in people with multiple accounts each, and that really cuts down the number of players.

Mrrpp... found it. There are 449 active characters. That's not a lot of people.

Vessol

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #535: November 15, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »
Well there is a thing with the queue that kicks you out if you don't check it once a week, so that checkbox idea won't work too well. I think it's a combination of people waiting so damn long and just getting bored, or finding out that you're a worthless baby for another RL month.

Lumin can be contacted I think, but in general he has abandoned the game. He abandoned it because he was tired of the community bullying him into doing things he didn't want to do and attacking him for when the servers go down and all sorts of nasty stuff. There was a major issue with him taking a stance of not policing griefing because it was time consuming on his part(and he didn't like delegating authority after the Vaylon incident) and that caused a major !@#$storm.
FTO's core community is one of the worst I've seen. I'm not sure why he's even spending his own money on keeping up a game just for them(or so I assume as he isn't working on it anymore). But, it's a good game with a great concept and I'm glad it's up for people to try out.

That active character figure includes every character that is alive. So if you consider that 1/3-1/4 of that is inactive babies. And then divide by three and then consider people with multiple accounts. Yeah the actual active player amount is more around 100-150 max.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:26:57 AM by Vessol »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #536: November 15, 2012, 05:56:27 AM »
The queue doesn't really kick you out. You don't show as an active number, but you do still progress. People start multiple accounts and leave them idle until they want to be born. I.e. someone they know, in a colony they want to be in, gets preggers. Then they activate the account, and are at the head of the queue. That's why you can stay at position 1 or 2 and just bounce there for weeks. If they get born right, they merge the character into their main. If not, they give it away. I've seen people on Facebook bitching like you wouldn't believe because someone else got pregnant, and they ended up in the wrong colony.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #537: November 15, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »

I am not sure but I believe that there are very few adults in the game.   Characters are abandoned and left to die before they reach the age where they can do more interesting things.

Also, there is this community-imposed rule about not doing anything unless you are taught how to that we already mentioned and agreed it is silly.  This makes gameplay very stale when no one in the colony knows how to do anything other than playing house, mating, having kids and feeding them.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #538: November 15, 2012, 07:36:36 PM »
I don't think you technically have to be that old before you can do most things. 6, I think.

But, yeah, the community I was born into seemed very stale. Mostly awkward social encounters. I could see why people would abandon it. That's why I invented my "map the world" project. Gives me something to do.

Vessol

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #539: November 15, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
I don't think you technically have to be that old before you can do most things. 6, I think.

But, yeah, the community I was born into seemed very stale. Mostly awkward social encounters. I could see why people would abandon it. That's why I invented my "map the world" project. Gives me something to do.

Yeah, that's what I found fun as well. Over time that's what I did on two characters near the start of the game. Here are the results.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/Vessol/FTO/TheIslands.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/Vessol/FTO/KutarimaaMap.jpg

I do think it would be fun in the future to make a character that explores and not only maps the world but also describes the towns and "cultures" found.