Author Topic: The Next Invasion(s)  (Read 12764 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
The Next Invasion(s)
« Topic Start: July 23, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »
With the 5th invasion over, it is time to post something that I had decided months ago already:

This was the last GM-led invasion. I simply can not justify the amount of time and effort it takes, and the thanklesness of the task.

BT will still have more PvE than the typical BM continent, but it won't be in this style anymore. Details have not yet been worked out.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Invasion(s)
« Reply #1: July 23, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
This was the last GM-led invasion. I simply can not justify the amount of time and effort it takes, and the thanklesness of the task.

I was around for the third, fourth and fifth invasions. Wasn't much involved in this one (been busy this year), but some of my best moments in BM were in the GM led invasions. The third invasion was what really hooked me onto BM. Rampaging joining RoF, Prudents machinations, the conversion of Vlandaaren by Arcane, the diplomatic manoeuvring surrounding the factions in the fifth, the monster-daimon rivalry, and how much humans could get invested into the story... It's a shame there won't be a GM led sixth invasion.  :-\

It's been really awesome.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 23, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
and the thanklesness of the task.

It's indeed not said often enough.

Thank you!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 23, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »
The only GM invasion I didn't care much for was the 4th, which seemed a little inconsistent, overpowered, and then just went a little nuts with the "Light" being introduced just to end it.  I still think the only reason people did complain quite as much as they did, though, was mortality.

Anyways, something I loved about the fifth invasion, story aside, was a simple mechanic.  I n the previous invasions you had immigration to BT cut off.  I enjoyed the fact that it stayed open this time, giving everyone a chance at the fun.  Please keep that as a constant, even if you have to make new arrivals shipwreck near random ports- let them at least keep coming.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 23, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
Would this be something of a return to the style of the first and second invasions (as I understand them to have been)? I.e. large AI controlled invading forces?

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 23, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
First: THANK YOU!  ;D

mmm... wherever, GM-led invasion is one thing, and human-led invasion is other... maybe the next could be managed by players?  A bright light on the sky, and some nobles are turned into abominations!  :P

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 23, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
People complain too much and don't thank enough. Now we won't have anymore what may be BM's most fun feature... :'(
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 24, 2012, 01:56:34 AM »
Noooooo, does this mean mermaids arent going to start invading from the sunken cities?

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 24, 2012, 02:38:40 AM »
People complain too much and don't thank enough. Now we won't have anymore what may be BM's most fun feature... :'(

:(
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 24, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Even thought i didnt take much of part for the invasion, mainly sitting at my city and laughed other peoples misery... this was fun! Big thanks to Tom and Fingolfin(King of Thalmarkin)...

~Violence is always an option!~

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 24, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »
Thank you Tom for all the time you have invested to provide us fun. Perhaps there would be some other interesting features implemented to keep BTs theme?
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: July 27, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »
There is a new game mechanic now for future "invasions". They will be a lot more player-driven, and have a lot more of a PvP atmosphere. You will see...

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #12: July 27, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »
Ominous words, eh? :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: July 27, 2012, 09:30:23 AM »
How long will we have until the next invasion? A year? It will take a RL year to rebuild all the damaged regions...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: July 27, 2012, 09:30:50 AM »
How long will we have until the next invasion? A year? It will take a RL year to rebuild all the damaged regions...

This time, it depends on you...