Author Topic: The Next Invasion(s)  (Read 12767 times)

Zakilevo

Re: The Next Invasion(s)
« Reply #15: July 27, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
This time, it depends on you...

Any plan on speeding up the recovery speed, Tom? Instead of making things take a RL year, maybe 6 months?

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 27, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
Nah, the recovery is part of the process! The fruits of labour will be so much sweeter!

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 27, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
The new takeover system, troop provisions code and peasant migration code should make it easier to reclaim the rogue regions.

Though there are a lot of rogue regions with populations in the single or double digits.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 27, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
i fail to see how troop provision code would make it easier XD
firefox

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 27, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
i fail to see how troop provision code would make it easier XD

Its harder to run a takeover on a starving region when your troops keep getting sick.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 28, 2012, 01:07:38 PM »
I was around for the third, fourth and fifth invasions. Wasn't much involved in this one (been busy this year), but some of my best moments in BM were in the GM led invasions. The third invasion was what really hooked me onto BM. Rampaging joining RoF, Prudents machinations, the conversion of Vlandaaren by Arcane, the diplomatic manoeuvring surrounding the factions in the fifth, the monster-daimon rivalry, and how much humans could get invested into the story... It's a shame there won't be a GM led sixth invasion.  :-\

It's been really awesome.

This about sums it up for me. The Third Invasion was glorious and I really enjoyed the Fourth one too. I didn't turn up for the Fifth, but knowing that there won't be true invasion again I wish I had! Many thanks to all the devs/GMs involved that made Beluaterra such an exciting place for so long :-)

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 29, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
Don't worry, we might get a Zuma Invasion soon!  B-)
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: July 29, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
Don't worry, we might get a Zuma Invasion soon!  B-)

tell me
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: July 30, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
The only GM invasion I didn't care much for was the 4th, which seemed a little inconsistent, overpowered, and then just went a little nuts with the "Light" being introduced just to end it.  I still think the only reason people did complain quite as much as they did, though, was mortality.

Anyways, something I loved about the fifth invasion, story aside, was a simple mechanic.  I n the previous invasions you had immigration to BT cut off.  I enjoyed the fact that it stayed open this time, giving everyone a chance at the fun.  Please keep that as a constant, even if you have to make new arrivals shipwreck near random ports- let them at least keep coming.

The third started out great. But it got dull when the undead and monsters left, and it dragged on for way too long.

I did not enjoy the fourth invasion, the mortality hollowed out realms and depopulated a continent that already had one of the lowest character per region ratio (if not the lowest of all). The monster GM abusing special mechanics and other such incidents did not help either...

The fifth invasion was better than the fourth, even if not as memorable as the third. More straightforward, which I think many appreciated over the confusing plots of previous invasions. And even though this invasion crippled Enweil much more than the last, and strengthened Rio much more than the last, at least it didn't feel like a GM's vendetta this time around...

While GM invasions offer a lot more possibilities than scripted invasions, they also do present a whole lot more frustration. The idea of invasions by scrolls seems interesting, but it also seems to be limited to very localized mini-invasions, so I'm not sure if that will be able to bring the same kind of atmosphere. Still, seems like a good idea.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: July 30, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
The idea of invasions by scrolls seems interesting, but it also seems to be limited to very localized mini-invasions, so I'm not sure if that will be able to bring the same kind of atmosphere.

All it takes is a few people as crazy as your characters and it can get really nasty. The first time two major realms nuke each other this way, I suggest we revisit this point. :-)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 30, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »
I'm looking forward to it.

For some reason, though, I don't feel like I will personally be able to get my hands (or influence) over a significant number. At least, not as quickly as those who would use it on me. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #26: July 30, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
Let the arms race begin.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #27: July 30, 2012, 04:30:38 PM »
Let the arms race begin.

I'm eagerly awaiting the first "test detonations".

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 30, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Hmm.... if they are scroll-based, then the effects, and even whether or not the casting itself is successful to begin with, would be based on the user's spellcasting skill. That could seriously put a crimp in someone's plans if they run into the middle of their hated enemy's realms, read off the scroll, and it fizzles.

Now... which realm has the most skilled spellcaster? Will there be a run on scrolls in order for realms to train up skilled spellcasters? Will any realms outlaw magic and the use of scrolls? Which realm will be the first to regulate scrolls and their use in order to turn it into a realm-based resource, used only at the discretion of the realm leadership? Who will be the first to use it against their own realm?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #29: July 30, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
Hmm, sounds like some of the issues the first few physicists and politicians had to deal with. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.