Author Topic: REJECTED: Increase Number of Peasant Followers a Temple Can Serve  (Read 4325 times)

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Title:

Increase Number of Peasant Followers a Temple Can Serve

Summary:

Increase Number of Peasant Followers a Temple Can Serve

Details:

I have a Priest on the EC that, since the population/region rebalance, has had to deal with this problem. Before, for rural regions, a primitive temple would pretty much solve your problems. But not anymore. Take Salta for example. It now has a population maximum of 11800, which would require a medium temple(12000) to fit all of them into a temple, or a small temple(7500) otherwise. Therefore, while the population was rebalanced, the number of peasants a temple tends to wasn't rebalanced. This could also possibly hurt newer religions as now, more than ever before, you need even more generous donors to make a viable religion.

Benefits:

Temples tend to more peasants without having to spend so much more money.

Possible Exploits:

Bringing those dastardly, demonic peasants back to the spiritual side of things!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:09:10 AM by egamma »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
The sizes are intentional. That many regions are now larger does mean they need larger temples, too. Not a bug.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The sizes are intentional. That many regions are now larger does mean they need larger temples, too. Not a bug.

I didn't think it was a bug. I was suggesting temples that can serve more peasants in the aftermath of the population rebalance. I have carefully looked at the effects. Before, it could cost maybe 500 gold for a temple and temple upkeep in a good-sized rural region. Now, it costs well over 1000 gold.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Also, in the 'Priest Game' on the wiki: 'Also, temples are required to provide for followers. If you have more followers in a region than the temple can provide for, you will lose followers.'

Many people try to adhere to that rule. If that's the case, I think we will be seeing the big religions with level 6 temples in their regions, and small religions struggling to make it because they do not have the massive donors that some religions have. Then, the big religions will have the huge temples to tend to their entire region flock, while the small religions have small temples about half the size of the region population.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
.... not entirely true. if you have shrines and/or temples in surrounding regions.. they can bleed in support and go above what's supposedly max.

depends on how much competition you have i guess.
firefox

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Also, in the 'Priest Game' on the wiki: 'Also, temples are required to provide for followers. If you have more followers in a region than the temple can provide for, you will lose followers.'

Many people try to adhere to that rule. If that's the case, I think we will be seeing the big religions with level 6 temples in their regions, and small religions struggling to make it because they do not have the massive donors that some religions have. Then, the big religions will have the huge temples to tend to their entire region flock, while the small religions have small temples about half the size of the region population.

I wish the CoH had "massive donors".  As it stands, it's mostly my characters and one or two others who have personally funded most of the enlargements of our temples across the EC.  Though our nobles ARE encouraged to tithe a few gold coins whenever they pass a temple.

But you do bring up something I'd neglected to look into.  Since the revamp, some of our temples may be just too small right now.  Need to take a look and see which need to be enlarged for that reason.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I wish the CoH had "massive donors".  As it stands, it's mostly my characters and one or two others who have personally funded most of the enlargements of our temples across the EC.  Though our nobles ARE encouraged to tithe a few gold coins whenever they pass a temple.

But you do bring up something I'd neglected to look into.  Since the revamp, some of our temples may be just too small right now.  Need to take a look and see which need to be enlarged for that reason.

Yeah, King's are dirt poot.  :P

Eh, Tom has rejected so I can deal. It was worth a shot anyways.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Considering my basic knight characters tend to make more gold?  Yes. :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Increasing the the number of peasants would also increase the number of peasants the big religions can serve. Then it would be easier for them to crowd out the small ones.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Temple size are actually less important than having good neighbours. If all (or even some) your neighbours are fully converted  their influence will be greater than the loss you get from not having a large enough temple. Sirion, EC is a good example. For years the largest religion there had no larger temple than a small shack (Due to lack of elders.) but still had 100% in most of heartland Sirion. If you place your bigger temples strategically you'll find that regions where you have never even went will be converted without preaching, shrines or any temples at all.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

egamma

What if the temple costs were adjusted downward? Looking at the (desired) benefits, I think that would accomplish the goal.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
What if the temple costs were adjusted downward? Looking at the (desired) benefits, I think that would accomplish the goal.

That could work. I mean, right now to completely service large rural regions, you need a Medium temple, which costs 950 gold plus 7-9 gold in weekly maintenance. So, in my opinion, either temples should get larger or temples should get less expensive.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
the point has been made that you don't really need all those temples to serve all the followers..
firefox